WDS 2008 and different subnets

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
We have 6 different subnets and have a WDS server that is one subnet. It works just fine for any computer that is in the same subnet as the WDS server. However, the other 5 subnets get a PXE-T04: Access Violation error. I have the firewall disabled on the WDS server just for testing purposes with no success. Anyone have any ideas on what can cause the other subnets to not PXE boot from the WDS server?

Whats weird is, if the service is off on the WDS server, PXE boot just keeps searching for a TFTP server, but when the service is enabled, it throws the error, so I know there is communication going on, just a access violation error....

you need to set an ip helper address for each subnet to point to the WDS server.

(assuming you are running the dhcp on the WDS server. If not, you need to point it to your dhcp server, which then needs to have an ip option to point PXE requests to the WDS server)

I also have the DHCP server with the options 66 and 67 set. I dont have access to the routers to set the IP Helper Tables. But communication is going on somewhat, so I dont think that is the issue, but thought ill mention it before it is suggested.

So if IP Helper Tables is what I need, Ill try sending an email to the admin to set it for our 6 subnets. What do I need him to do? Set an entry in each subnet to the IP address of the PXE Server?

yes. Assuming cisco equipment.

> conf t
#> interface vlan X
#config-inter>ip helper x.x.x.x

Where X is your vlan numbers, and x.x.x.x is the ip address of either the WDS server itself (if dhcp is running on it locally) or the dhcp server that is handling IP's for your WDS imaging.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771670(WS.10).aspx
(search for subnet and it will take you right to where you need to read)

I believe our department is all on the same VLAN though, so do I not need the IP Helper? We just have six 6 subnets in that VLAN I think, not sure though.

forget my initial response, ip helper is probably your solution.

Also, is the IP Helper address a must for DHCP to work across our subnets? Our DHCP server is in the same subnet as our WDS server, and all the other subnets can contact the DHCP server just fine as well. Believe this may be more of a WDS error.....dont know though. Open to suggestions! Wish I had access to the routers so I can verify this!

I'm not sure why you have 6 subnets on 1 vlan. Why not just have 1 subnet and make it a /22 or something.

Without knowing more about how your network is setup I can't help much more. What you need to do is coordinate with your network department.

If i remember correctly, its been awhile, when installing WDS it can automatically setup your DHCP (assuming its on the same server) to NOT respond to PXE requests which are sent out on a different port than regular DHCP requests. Normally a DHCP server will respond to both. I don't remember the port #.

This is probably why you get an access violation. I dont think WDS will respond to a computer that it didnt give an IP address to.

I'm not sure why you have 6 subnets on 1 vlan. Why not just have 1 subnet and make it a /22 or something.

Without knowing more about how your network is setup I can't help much more. What you need to do is coordinate with your network department.

Yeah we are going to. Not sure what our vlan setup is. Just found out our DHCP server has a NIC for each subnet ha. We are going to email them and see if they can enter in the IP Helper Tables for our interfaces.

But this should fix the Access Violation error then? Even though its communicating somewhat with it?

Not sure what our vlan setup is. Just found out our DHCP server has a NIC for each subnet ha.?
You have bigger problems than your WDS server having errors. Your network teams needs to brush up on their networking skills. :rolleyes:

A dollar says they are using some kind of white box as their router.

Update,

For kicks and giggles, I added a second NIC to the machine and it is getting an IP from another subnet and now that subnet can boot into WDS just fine now. So my guess IP Helper Table entries will fix this problem easily then right?

Only thing I am confused on, when WDS boots and is on the menu screen where you choose what WDS boot image to boot into, it says the Server Boot Manager IP is the server IP address that matches what subnet it is in. However, in the DHCP options when we specified the PXE boot address in option 66, it is the IP address that matches the original subnet we put it. Did it just switch it over once a connection was established or something?

Back