Strange video issue

hossdaddy

2[H]4U
hey guys I was using my backup rig(the 7750) and when I start up any game (L4D2, COD4MW, DODS) the screen will blankout on me every 5-10secs. I am running the latest drivers. My first thought is the ocz 600w stealthxtream psu.

Any thoughts?

Typically when the screen goes black, the driver is crashing and recovering.

Take Furmark for a spin.

ok, It started doing this with the driver that had been installed for a year without issue. It does it with the latest nvidia driver as well as the latest asus driver. I did run ccleaner and cleaned out the registry. But it was doing this before I tried new drivers.

I will run furmark tonight and update.

ok update, furmark has been running for 5 mins without any issues. Would it matter that Furmark runs in a window?

Also, I use HW Monitor to keep an eye on things, and its saying the 12v rail is outputting 12.80-12.99v which if I am not mistaken is way above the 5%+/- limit?

ok I just spoke with OCZ techsupport and they said since the 12v rail spec is so far above the 5% +/- that I should rma the psu.

ok so I installed the new ocz 600w psu today and I am getting the exact same issues. I uninstalled the game and re-install, same issue. I ran prime 95 and furmark simultaneously for 30 mins without any issues.

I am totally stumped here. help!

Well try it any way to rule out your 8800GS being defective or a bad driver install.

So try your ATI card in the back up rig and try the 8800GS in the main rig. That should tell you where the problem lies: The video card itself or the GPU.

thats exactly what I was hoping you wouldnt say! My main rig is cherry without issue. But, you are probably right. I will try Asus and see what they say.

thats exactly what I was hoping you wouldnt say! My main rig is cherry without issue. But, you are probably right. I will try Asus and see what they say.

Yeah I'm not exactly the imaginative sort when it comes to troubleshooting hardware :)

Hopefully you'll able to track down the issue.

yeah me too, I don't use that rig very much but it's driving me crazy knowing that its not working. :\

ok I just put the 8800gs into my main rig(after un-installing the drivers etc and running ccleaner) and the machine would not post!!! no video display at all. I am calling this one a dead card unless one of you can give me another theory here.

Try that 8800GS in a 3rd PC? :D

Sounds dead. But make sure that the PC not POSTING isn't related to a different issue altogether.

ok I put the 8800gs back into the original pc and it posts and runs, but when I play any game it does the same thing. Sigh... I am talking with my local shop about getting it rma'd. Unfortunately I lost the receipt, but I am hoping my guy can vouch for me that it is only 2 yrs old and not more than 3. I am now running memtest +86 to check the ram.

Yeah..sound like the card is flaky or has a bed cap or something...altho I had a similiar problem betweeen the nVidia drivers & crysis...a driver upodate to 191 series drivers worked....

ok I put the 8800gs back into the original pc and it posts and runs, but when I play any game it does the same thing. Sigh... I am talking with my local shop about getting it rma'd. Unfortunately I lost the receipt, but I am hoping my guy can vouch for me that it is only 2 yrs old and not more than 3. I am now running memtest +86 to check the ram.

Ouch. Good luck getting that RMA!

well I dropped the card off and its in the hands of the Head office tech dept, but my buddy is putting a good word in for me. Cross your fingers!

I will update as info comes down.

Back