Galaxy GTX 470 at $249.99 at Fry's

holy crap that is not even a sale price. Usually the sale prices will have a limit on it. If that is the regular price than thats good.

Very tempting...must resist....hmmm maby i should sell my 280 for a hundred bucks

Man I hope that holds. Got a new credit card on the way in a couple days. Would love to break it in on this!

someone please explain why this is such a good deal, not saying it isn't, but isn't there a deal on a GTX465 that can unlock to a 470 for $80 less...?

:confused:

unlock 10% chance
good luck

10% chance...? I doubt it, unless people are trying to unlock cards that can't be unlocked, my guess is that the percentage is probably reversed for people that actually get their hands on the cards that can be unlocked (more like a 10% failure rate), the hardware is the key from what it sounds like, not luck from the vbios Gods, apparently if your card has 10 chips on the back it's unlockable but if it only has 8 it isn't...

I've flashed plenty of bioses and vbioses, lol, it ain't that hard...

Wow, this is what I just saw yesterday, but didnt buy it since I wanted to know the price of this at other sellers.

talkin about the black and blue chips
the older ones have the older unlocked-able chips

talkin about the black and blue chips
the older ones have the older unlocked-able chips

I know they mentioned on the PNY card that if you got a blue PCB (only 8 chips) it was unlockable, but if you got the black PCB (10 chips) it was good to go, also ASUS supposedly has an unlocking tool for the GTX465, but only for the speeds, you still have to flash the bios to get the extra 200MB of VRAM...

yeah if you buy it from newegg for $299.99. rebate is through newegg, not Galaxy, so it only applies to newegg purchases

i've got the 470...

it runs... HOT

seriously hot... if the 465 runs cooler, I would get that - its like an oven under my desk when playing SC2.

i've got the 470...

it runs... HOT

seriously hot... if the 465 runs cooler, I would get that - its like an oven under my desk when playing SC2.

GPU temps? what's your cooling situation, and what case?

also: rebate is apparently channel wide, so $30 off from ANYWHERE right now!

Damn, out of stock for shipping...Probably for the best, I just ordered the LG 42LD520 from fry's last night ($465 shipped), and I really shouldn't be buying anything else.

$220 AR though? Smokin' like a 480 in furmark.

Is it wrong that I would have bought this yesterday if it were evga or Asus?

Is it wrong that I would have bought this yesterday if it were evga or Asus?

Perhaps, I do believe there is a Galaxy representative that floats around on this forum and I've read a good number of positive things about this company.

Any company smart enough to seek out hardcore customers and try to appease them on their own turf is a win in my book. Asus is garbage and EVGA provides the grand illusion that they're different from all the rest, in my experience they arent. (Providing latching SATA cables when you sidemount the ports at 90 degrees is a bad idea FYI EVGA).

GPU temps? what's your cooling situation, and what case?

also: rebate is apparently channel wide, so $30 off from ANYWHERE right now!

Temps and case really dont matter. The thing dumps a certain amount of watts in heat no matter how hot the GPU runs.

Perhaps, I do believe there is a Galaxy representative that floats around on this forum and I've read a good number of positive things about this company.

Honestly, any company that has a rep frequenting this forum is very impressive in my book. Any company that would take the time to sift thru out bullshit to answer questions and lend a hand to customers is a BIG selling point to me.

I have had these Galaxy 470GTX cards for a month and they have been very solid in all the benchmarks and tests I have run. I have always gone EVGA, but the deals have been too good with Galaxy to pass up. They also cover OC'ing in their warranty and make their own cards.

The Galaxy rep's name is *drumroll*..."Galaxy"...and he has been very response to every PM i have sent him. He also posts in the [H]ot Deals section; I used a specific HARDOCP coupon to get an extra $20 off at the time.

As far as the exhaust temp, ALL 470 and 480GTX cards exhaust some serious heat. I am talking 83 degrees F idle/120+ degrees F full load at a rate of about 47CFM at max load (for the Nvidia reference card design). They are literally space heaters, so be prepared. i am actually working on a mod to accommodate this exhaust from the high end cards.

Last edited:
So does this thing come w/ any games? EVGA's tossing them out like candy lately. What's the warranty?

Standard Warranty on this card is 2 years parts/labor, including OC'ing...not sure if this is different at Fry's.

As far as the exhaust temp, ALL 470 and 480GTX cards exhaust some serious heat. I am talking 83 degrees F idle/120+ degrees F full load at a rate of about 47CFM at max load (for the Nvidia reference card design). They are literally space heaters, so be prepared. i am actually working on a mod to accommodate this exhaust from the high end cards.

Yuuuuuup.

If I lived somewhere that was 80 or so deg all year old, i'd rig up a cooling solution to the outside world - and in the winter, my gas bill would sure decrease.

But, the 470 does save on wattage compared to the 8800GTX... so you take the good... you take the bad...

But, the 470 does save on wattage compared to the 8800GTX... so you take the good... you take the bad...
Didn't the 8800GTX hit a 180ish TDP? To my skin, the 470 seems to step up the heat output another notch. I'm going to a LAN tomorrow, so I'll get a chance to compare against a 460 768. If it's exhaust is much cooler and performance is not that much worse, I'll be making the switch. If worse, comes to worse, I could always step up to the 470 from EVGA for an extra $40 over the Galaxy and get the lifetime + oc/hsf replacement warranty.

Standard Warranty on this card is 2 years parts/labor, including OC'ing...not sure if this is different at Fry's.
Someone posted the fineprint here or on another site, but they say no coverage on damage caused by overclocking. Which seems ridiculous when the company has it's own voltage modifying software for that card. IMO if Galaxy really wants to compete, they need to warrant oc+hsf replacement and add at least another year warranty. Or possibly offer a large discount towards another Galaxy.

I think all warranties say it is not covered if you DAMAGE it from overclocking, but overclocking itself does not VOID the warranty.

Back