Logitech Z-5500s plus Behringer 2030P studio monitors

The Pharaoh

Limp Gawd
So I've had the Z-5500 setup for a few years now and it's served quite well. This year I got back into production (hardcore, DnB, other electronic styles) and I was thinking about pairing the sub/amp combo from the Z-5500 setup with a pair of passive studio monitors. I was looking at the Behringer 2030P monitors because they have decent reviews and fit nicely in my budget (don't want to spend more than $250).

I'd really love to hear from anyone who has done something similar. Was it worth doing, or would you get better results from simply getting basic powered monitors? Anything I should be aware of when setting up such a system if I do take the route described above?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

the 2030ps are pretty well reviewed and appreciated, but I have no idea how they'd sound being powered by the z-5500s amp. I also think there is a fixed crossover at 120hz or something like that (possibly higher) which is pretty high for the 2030ps. I'd rather buy a cheap receiver or something to power them, but feel free to go for it and let us know how it sounds.

the 2030ps are pretty well reviewed and appreciated, but I have no idea how they'd sound being powered by the z-5500s amp. I also think there is a fixed crossover at 120hz or something like that (possibly higher) which is pretty high for the 2030ps. I'd rather buy a cheap receiver or something to power them, but feel free to go for it and let us know how it sounds.

This echoes what I've heard on other boards. I am going to visit my local audio shops and demo as many monitors as possible but if nothing else jumps out I'll probably give this a shot.

As was said above the Z5500's use 8-ohm sats so you can theoretically replace them with whatever you like, but the non adjustable crossover frequency will have the sub doing all the work and the replacement sats pumping out mediocre and sometimes muddy mids and highs. The amp in the Z5500 sub is tuned to make the little logitech satellites sound decent.

You could go ahead with your plan and then save up for a replacement stereo receiver later, build up a good system bit by bit. :)

well you should just sell the z-5500s and use the money to buy a used reciever along with those 2030ps you were planning on getting already...and then save for a sub :)

You could probably get close to what you paid for, if not more. I sold my z-5500s a week or two ago for $210 (the asking price in my craigslist ad). The kid didn't even want to haggle. He just came over, played some music, and bought em :)

I was lucky enough to get them when there were plenty of competing products out and got a sweet deal of about $190 shipped :) so this is really tempting to me.

Say I sell the 5500's for $200 - that makes my current budget about $450. Anything you'd suggest in this range for an amp and sub to accompany the Behringers?

@ that price point, I would start looking @ things other then the behringers.

I've always heard great things about the blue sky 2.1 system, but haven't been able to listen to them. Its in the $450 ball park.

the 2030ps are actually really good. if he has an extra $450 to spend in addition to the money set aside for the 2030ps, he should use most of that on a subwoofer and a little bit on a used receiver.
here are some 2030p measurements (wmax from various audio forums is the source)
zWHuj.gif

EXBT0.gif

q5ihK.gif

i'd just pick up an avr on craigslist.

for subs:
http://hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=892
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_41&products_id=406

or you could try getting a used higher end model from the above or svs or epik or something but they tend to not be too heavily discounted from what i've seen.

Dear god do not do z5500 with B2030p... the z5500 have such a high crossover point and the bass is so boomy and sloppy. UGH

Back