Should I go for a GTX460 or 5770?

Aaron11

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, to start off, yes, I know the 460 is a couple steps ahead of the 5770 in terms of performance and pretty much everything else, including price. Anyway, my "gaming rig" if you want to call it that is in my sig. I also have a 500GB 7200.12 HD, 2 DVD drives, a NZXT Sentry 2, three 120mm, and a single 140mm fan. I have just come across another thread created recently that talks about the CX400 (my current PSU) and a 460 and people have said it should be sufficient to power a single 460. So with that settled (you can still add your two cents if you want), would it be wise to get a 460 with my current CPU? That is my main concern with the GTX460 versus the 5770. I want to game at 1920x1080. I don't have to have AA on all the time. I'm basically just concerned about how my Athlon II x3 will handle games with a 460 versus a 5770. I know that Athlon IIs generally lack in the gaming department but I was concerned if it would be wise to get a 460 over a 5770 with my current system.
My thanks goes out to anyone willing to help. :)

UPDATE: I haven't upgraded yet. Now that the 460 has come down in price significantly, I was thinking of upgraded. Considering how cheap the 460 is compared to the 5770. I think I want to get this 460 for $140 (before MIR). Is this a wise decision, or should I stick with a card that uses less power?

UPDATE 2: I just recently got a 6850 off of a forum for only $150! I'm loving it. I figured it offered gtx 460 performance with 5770 power usage. I can max out almost everything. I'm so happy!

Last edited:
the CPU is above 3Ghz so should not be CPU limited with the GTX460

GTX470 is an better buy if you can get it for $215 i think but mite need an better PSU for that one

i've owned both and think you might run into psu issues down the road with a 460gtx but i don't know that for sure.that cpu shouldn't hold back either gpu.and the 5770 games at 19x12 on everything but the most intense games.

Eventually you're going to hit power problems and you will need a new PSU. The 5770 doesn't make that PSU even break a sweat.

If you really want the GTX 460 just make sure you get the 1GB version. Just remember SI's launch is only a month or two away.

Main problem for me with the 460 with me is that it requires two PCIe power connectors. I really wish Nvidia would release the 450 already.

OK, to start off, yes, I know the 460 is a couple steps ahead of the 5770 in terms of performance and pretty much everything else, including price. Anyway, my "gaming rig" if you want to call it that is in my sig. I also have a 500GB 7200.12 HD, 2 DVD drives, a NZXT Sentry 2, three 120mm, and a single 140mm fan. I have just come across another thread created recently that talks about the CX400 (my current PSU) and a 460 and people have said it should be sufficient to power a single 460. So with that settled (you can still add your two cents if you want), would it be wise to get a 460 with my current CPU? That is my main concern with the GTX460 versus the 5770. I want to game at 1920x1080. I don't have to have AA on all the time. I'm basically just concerned about how my Athlon II x3 will handle games with a 460 versus a 5770. I know that Athlon IIs generally lack in the gaming department but I was concerned if it would be wise to get a 460 over a 5770 with my current system.

5770 is safer from a power perspective. Remember oc'ing a 460 will make it draw extra power. Aging capacitors will eventually drag your PSU down in terms of reliable maximum wattage, and it's not good for the health of the PSU to run it close to 100%, anyway. Basically, with your PSU, it's cutting it too close with a 460, especially if you were planning to OC it. I did a price/performance review on another thread, and the 5770 is better for bang for the buck, something like, $130AR for a 5770 vs. $190 and $220 for the 768MB/1GB versions of the 460. Against the 768 you pay 46% more to get ~19% more performance. Against the 1GB you pay 70% more to get 29% more performance. If you add in the cost of a new PSU to the GTX 460, then it's a no brainer to stay with a 5770, which does well on most games up to 1920x1200 and takes less power. An OC'd 5770 should get close to a stock GTX 460 768MB if you want to think about it that way. You can also overclock 460s if you have the PSU juice to do it, but my point is that for comparison purposes you can think of it as getting a 768MB GTX 460@stock for $130.

PS I love how the first responses were from fanboys who obviously didn't read your post, concerns about power, concerns about CPU bottlenecking, cost, or what your resolution or needs were. They just kneejerked it out.

Last edited:
I wouldnt worry about that Athlon II either. Yes theyre not as good as higher priced procs but its still a very potent cpu and at 1920x1080 the gpu will be doing most of the heavy lifting. Thats not to say you shouldnt try to upgrade later down the road but itll work just fine for now.

What kind of power supply do you recommend for the 460? What's the power draw on the ATI? I have an antec 2 and 3 case (480 - 500W)
What are the requirements for the 450?

460 for sure. Better DX11 support and OC potential if you want to play with that.

PS I love how the first responses were from fanboys who obviously didn't read your post, concerns about power, concerns about CPU bottlenecking, cost, or what your resolution or needs were. They just kneejerked it out.

It isn't really a fanboy response, I've noticed on hardware forums 90-95% of the responses will always recommend whatever is faster irrespective of other concerns. I mean you even run the situations where the OP will ask for a good sub $200 card with good value, and someone will say buy a 5870 cause it is faster.

for what your looking for either is going to work. a 5770 will play most any game well at 2mp. price for these range from 143 to 180. the next step up is the 460GTX, prices (these flux a lot) from 200 (crippled version) to 260. they are worth it, but only if you need the horsepower. both scale excellently in dual modes (for what its worth, that usually isn't a good upgrade path) but there is a def advantage to the 460 there.

your PSU would run a 460GTX. having said that I like more head room then that would leave me so I would be strongly leaning towards the 5770 here

Total performance, 460 1GB for sure, but due to power concerns and pricing, go with the 5770 for now. I still run a 5770 and am able to play most games at max detail (games like WoW, MW2, SC2)

GTX 460 for sure.
I own both but replaced the 5770 with my old 260 /216 sli. way better.
the 5770 sucked big time in my opinion and is now lying still...in the box it came in waiting
for my kids to need an upgrade.

The GTX 460's on the other hand are the best buy in years. They overclock like hell!
I got them to 850/2000 but the top card got like 96c so i'm waiting for some haf fans ( I got these silent things now, they are silent but they don't move a lot of air do they? )
and some AS5 to reseat the coolers and boom. For now superclocked is good!

Last edited:
Total performance, 460 1GB for sure, but due to power concerns and pricing, go with the 5770 for now. I still run a 5770 and am able to play most games at max detail (games like WoW, MW2, SC2)

What resolution are you playing? Anyway these are not realy heavy games like crysis are they?. )

I've tried playing games with the 5770 it's just a dx11 no go. metro 2033 low settings crap framerate....gtx 460 single good framerate!
Did I mension that when you overclock these things to 830 core speed thay match and surpass a 5850?
Xcuse me for double posting

Last edited:
OP says he plans on 1920x1080. A 5770 would be ok for console ports and older games but the more graphic intensive games, especially Metro, would be too much for it. A GTX460 would be minimum at that resolution if youre wanting high graphics levels on new release games.

Actually a 5850 would be a better match but youd have to stretch the budget to $280'ish and upgrade power supplies.

Get the 460 & underclock it till you can replace the PSU.. That way your not going with a much lesser video card now that will hold you back later.

If you don't need AA the HD5770 is the way to go. This will save money and not strain your PSU.

The HD5770 is ~$100 cheaper than the 1GB GTX460s and not much slower.

Pretty much the GTX460 allows AA where the HD5770 does not.

If money is not the issue then the GTX460 is fine, but buy a new PSU too.

Here are HardOCP reviews of the two video cards:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/07/19/gigabyte_hd_5770_super_overclock_video_card_review/3
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/07/12/nvidia_geforce_gtx_460_review/7

both cards require normal settings to run Metro 2033 at 1920x1200.

OP says he plans on 1920x1080. A 5770 would be ok for console ports and older games but the more graphic intensive games, especially Metro, would be too much for it. A GTX460 would be minimum at that resolution if youre wanting high graphics levels on new release games.

Actually a 5850 would be a better match but youd have to stretch the budget to $280'ish and upgrade power supplies.

A 5770 can run 2033 okay, just with not-max graphics settings. And I hate to break it to you but a 460 can't completely max Metro at 1080p either, no matter how much you overclock it... and OP might not be able to OC a GTX 460 safely due to power constraints, whereas an OC'd 5770 is still easily in his power budget.

Also, it's funny to suggest a 70% increase in price for a 29% increase in performance just for the sake of one game that rated only 81 on metacritic and doesn't even look that much better than its peers despite its GPU usage. That game is resource hog.

Note that http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_radeon_5770_5750_performance/page7.asp and
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/10/12/amd_ati_radeon_hd_5770_5750_review/6
both show that if you turn down settings a bit (i.e., turn off AA), a 5770 can handle Crysis just fine. And those were with old drivers. At 1920x1200 w/ no AA, on high, stock clock 5770 averages 34.4fps. OP runs at 1920x1080 (11% smaller than 1920x1200), and can overclock (15-20% boost), so he could probably average more like 40-45fps, which is definitely playable.. in fact he could probably turn on 2x AA and see if that leaves acceptable frames for him.

Those two games are the most GPU-intense and a stock 5770 can deal with them both okay, even if it has to sacrifice AA. Therefore, a 5770 can deal with 99%+ of PC games out there, new releases or not.

A word about new releases by the way: the sad fact is that due to poor sales, gamedevs have largely gone cross-platform and we get console ports that a 5770 can easily max at 1080p. New releases like ME2, Bioshock 2, Fallout New Vegas, etc. will all run well on 5770 at 1080p.

Even among PC-only gamedevs, they know better than to make another Crysis. They typically release games that do well even on far weaker GPUs than the 5770 (e.g., Starcraft 2, WoW, Source games). It got to the point where I went Eyefinity just to use up some of the wasted frames coming out of my 5850... playing TF2 at triple digit fps is kinda useless, so might as well play on triple-monitor instead. ;)

A 5770 can run 2033 okay, just with not-max graphics settings. And I hate to break it to you but a 460 can't completely max Metro at 1080p either

Right. Nothing can really. GTX480's in SLI at 1680x1050 dont even average 60 fps at max settings! That games a beast.

I never said a 5770 couldnt play these games at 1920x1080. All I was saying that if you want to play these games at a pretty high graphics level, a GTX460 is the minimum. Hell I bet my overclocked 4850 could play them ok at that resolution with low settings but where's the fun in that? Gotta have the eye candy. ;)

I dont see anything wrong with suggesting a 5850 either. Dollar for dollar it is no match for the 460 but at the end of the day, the 5850 is still the faster card. I will however edit that and say that if you can swing $280 for a video card, the GTX470 is the better buy. Its faster than the 5850 and is now down to sub $300 levels which makes there no reason to buy ATI at all over $200.

if you want to play these games at a pretty high graphics level, a GTX460 is the minimum

I think 1080p Crysis @ High would qualify, and I just showed you how an oc'd 5770 should be able to run that at 40-45 fps. 2033 is a resource hog and he might not even want to play it anyway. If he does want to play, all he has to do is turn down a graphics a bit. Can one really tell the difference, anyway? Because a lot of people say that some of the settings in that game can be turned off with no real dropoff in visual quality. A GTX 460 might let you turn things up one more notch in Crysis or 2033 but is that really worth the extra 46-70% in cost? Assuming he even plays those games to begin with? (Note that OP stated in the very first post that he didn't have to have AA turned on all the time.)

I dont see anything wrong with suggesting a 5850 either. Dollar for dollar it is no match for the 460 but at the end of the day, the 5850 is still the faster card. I will however edit that and say that if you can swing $280 for a video card, the GTX470 is the better buy. Its faster than the 5850 and is now down to sub $300 levels which makes there no reason to buy ATI at all over $200.

In normal circumstances sure, but look at his PSU. The marginal cost of going above a 5770 can be pretty high when you have 400W as max... he'd have to upgrade the PSU, so add that to the cost of the card. Also, aging capacitors drive down the reliable max wattage of PSUs. And overclocking and overvolting both drive up the power a GPU uses. A CPU at full load + GPU at full load + his mobo/RAM usage + optical and hard drive usage is what's of concern here, and why a GTX 460 or HD 5850 may dangerously strain his power budget, especially if the PSU's capacitors have aged.

5770 can be had for $130AR on newegg. GTX 460 goes for $190-200 for the 768 version, $220-30 for many of the 1GB versions.

OK, just checked and some of the sapphires are 130 AR. and I had not seen the 460 for less then 200 (they are now). wow that was fast. At any rate I would suggest the op spend a little more and get a better brand. and they still have some of the 460 at 260.

gtx 460 sli = 40 - 44 fps average metro 2033. maxed out 1080p.
55 fps average crysis very high

I can only imagine 1 card would suck at this resolution.
Therefor get better psu, for 50 bucks you can pick up a 500w
Get a gtx 460 overclock it and equal a 5850 - 5970.

save money

Your CPU is plenty fast, I have a 435 Oc'ed to 3.5Ghz and it plays BFBC2 just fine and probably other games like Metro 2033.

I would recommend getting a 5770 right now and spending the extra dollars saved and invest in a higher quality PSU!!!! Don't ever skimp on a PSU! I have already had one blow a cap and I thought I had lost my PC over it, thankfully it lived. Get a decent Corsair PSU that puts out roughly 550 watts or better for future upgrades. And if I haven't said it already, don't ever buy a cheap PSU!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not worth the $$ saved. I was troubleshooting a PC one time and it turned out the PSU was bad, but I realized this after I burnt up a mobo and a CPU to figure it out. It was a cheap, cheap PSU.

Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005 or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095 ought to serve you well

Capiche?

Last edited:
5770 is safer from a power perspective. Remember oc'ing a 460 will make it draw extra power. Aging capacitors will eventually drag your PSU down in terms of reliable maximum wattage, and it's not good for the health of the PSU to run it close to 100%, anyway.

are you familiar with the 400CX?

It will not be close to 100% with the parts he described. Even if he overclocked the videocard to 800MHz.

are you familiar with the 400CX?

It will not be close to 100% with the parts he described. Even if he overclocked the videocard to 800MHz.

CPU TDP = 95W
GPU TDP = 150W (more if the 1GB version, but I think he's talking about the 768MB version)
mobo, RAM, HDD, optical = 40W
additional wattage for CPU and GPU overclocking = 60W
additional buffer he'll want for connecting USB devices like the Logitech G35 or USB TV tuner or whatever, and as a general buffer to make sure you don't mess up your PSU, and to account for aging capacitors = 50W
Total: 395W

395W < 400W... barely. Is it technically possible to run his rig w/ OC'd CPU and OC'd 768MB GTX 460? Yes. Would I want to risk it, if it were my computer at risk? No. Reasonable minds can disagree, so maybe you'd risk it, but I wouldn't.

What resolution are you playing? Anyway these are not realy heavy games like crysis are they?. )

I've tried playing games with the 5770 it's just a dx11 no go. metro 2033 low settings crap framerate....gtx 460 single good framerate!
Did I mension that when you overclock these things to 830 core speed thay match and surpass a 5850?
Xcuse me for double posting

1920x1080. I also play DX11 games like LOTRO and Dirt2, not at super high quality, but with at least 4xAA. I haven't tried Metro 2033 yet.

I also can't overlock mine more than the superclock that it came with. 875/1300 is the best my card can do without artifacts.

Would I upgrade my 5770 to a GTX460 if I had money to spare? Absolutely. But my power supply can handle it, I don't think OP's can.

Go with ATI, Nvidia drivers are a hell to work with.

That is putting it lightly.

If you plan on updating your drivers somewhere down the line, go with ATI and don't look back.

My next card will be AMD/ATI for this reason alone.

First off, thanks for everyone's response.
CPU TDP = 95W
GPU TDP = 150W (more if the 1GB version, but I think he's talking about the 768MB version)
additional buffer he'll want for connecting USB devices like the Logitech G35 or USB TV tuner or whatever, and as a general buffer to make sure you don't mess up your PSU, and to account for aging capacitors = 50W

395W < 400W... barely. Is it technically possible to run his rig w/ OC'd CPU and OC'd 768MB GTX 460? Yes. Would I want to risk it, if it were my computer at risk? No. Reasonable minds can disagree, so maybe you'd risk it, but I wouldn't.
As for my Corsair 400CX, it is still pretty new (I got it back in June). Not only that, if you look at overload tests, Hardware secrets stated that it could have easily been labeled as a 450w but wasn't due to efficiency. I bought my Corsair because I figured with that I could get a lot out of this mighty mite. Being at 395w for this Corsair probably wouldn't be much of a stress and I would think it would be able to handle a GTX460 if I threw it at it.

CPU TDP = 95W

That computer will draw less than 300 watts at the wall with the cpu as is and a gtx 460 at 800MHz. Load on the PSU should be 250 watts or less. Your numbers are wrong. I agree with you when you say it should not be close to load all the time, but in this case it won't be close to load any of the time.

If you plan on updating your drivers somewhere down the line, go with ATI and don't look back.

considering that ATI broke crossfire for the 5850 and 5870 with their 10.7 drivers i dont think they are really doing that much better.

i have often seen the exact inverse of your statement on these boards and other places, i myself have had tons of trouble with ati drivers and almost none with nvidia.

the driver argument has been made about one side or the other for as long as their were two companies to argue about. if i were the op i honestly wouldnt even factor drivers into my decision.

at the op's res im with the guy that said get a 5850. a power supply upgrade would be a good idea, but the 5850 actually uses about the same if not slightly less power than a gtx460.

Where the hell do you get your info from man?
What card are you using?
I've sli'd the following : 8800GTX, GTX 260/216, GTX 460.
Before that I had a single 6800GT

Sure drivers are an issue sometime. Catalyst even worse than nvidia.
But that's normal and acceptable. I have never had driver issue's for long.
The next driver batch allways contained good support for the new game.

Aslong as you use driver sweeper everytime you update your drivers.
But this is no differerance to Catalyst drivers.
The first drivers out suck but catalyst drivers are even worse.
I have a 5770 and had a XT1800

Gtx 460 work perfectly fine no problems at all.
Sli scaling is incredible!! ( That is driver related. ) Catalyst drivers don't do that.
Trust me there's nothing wrong with these drivers, don't listen to this guy.

As for power issue's . My kids are running a amd athlon x2 5000 @ 300*12=3600mhz @ 1.5v ( kinda proud of that one ) on a abit an9 32x fatality 580a sli motherboard
one 8800GTX and 6 GB OCZ 1066 ram 5-5-5-15 2.2v ( that's 2x 2GB and 2x 1GB sticks), 2x 160GB samsung spinpoint f1 raid0 and 2 dvd burners.
5 case fans with leds on a Tagan 450 watt power supply for 2 years now.

This system draws more power than your's with a gtx 460
sure 50 watts xtra power but a 100watts more power usage.
Catch my drift?
trust me,
You will have no problems at all.

Last edited:
^^Well, thanks for clarifying. My board does support x16/x4 xfire but not sli. Either way, with my current psu and the fact that my board is a budget one, I probably won't be running xfire anytime soon. I really like the GTX460 (and yes, I'd probably get the 768mb version), but I may end up waiting until the next ATI series comes out to see if the 5700 series prices go down. What do you guys think?

Where the hell do you get your info from man?
cut here
trust me,
You will have no problems at all.

everyone has driver horror stories. I can give you a few about nvidia as well (in my case there fucking EDID errors). if you go read the 10.8a thread you can see the current ATI woes. saying that Nvidia drivers are crap is not wise but neither is telling him that he will not have any problems either.

^^Well, thanks for clarifying. My board does support x16/x4 xfire but not sli. Either way, with my current psu and the fact that my board is a budget one, I probably won't be running xfire anytime soon. I really like the GTX460 (and yes, I'd probably get the 768mb version), but I may end up waiting until the next ATI series comes out to see if the 5700 series prices go down. What do you guys think?

Go with the GTX 460. 400w is plenty of power for this card.

Your total system power consumption probably won't even hit 300W:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-the-200-king/17

The GTX 460 is going to offer a vastly superior gaming experience. The 5770 doesn't compete with the GTX 460, performance wise.

And for whoever said the 5770 can handle any game at 1920x1080, I think your definition of handle differs from mine. If you game at 30fps with all settings turned to medium, you might as well game on a console.

(All prices after MIR)
Galaxy 768MB for $170: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162058
Sparkle 768MB for $180: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187112
Palit 1GB for $199: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261075
Palit "Platinum OC Edition" 1GB for $210: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261076

I would go with the Galaxy 768mb card, if I were in your shoes.

lol? AMD's had tons of issues lately. They even have issues right now! One of my ATI loyalist friends just jumped ship to a GTX 480 because ATI has taken so long to fix their drivers.

GSODs and BSOD on flash video are the only errors that come to mind, but that's because I haven't experienced them myself..

What errors are you experiencing on NVIDIA? I haven't had driver issues on my GTX 260, 260 SLI, 280 SLI, 480, or 480 SLI rig. Outside of an issue of stuck AO settings where I had to uninstall and reinstall the driver and poor initial performance in BFBC2. Are you familiar with driver sweeper? That will kill any NVIDIA driver issues, since unlike ATI, the drivers themselves aren't broken. The settings on your computer are. (Or you're experiencing a hardware error)

Last edited:
Go with the GTX 460. 400w is plenty of power for this card.

Your total system power consumption probably won't even hit 300W:

Cut here

lol? AMD's had tons of issues lately. They even have issues right now! One of my ATI loyalist friends just jumped ship to a GTX 480 because ATI has taken so long to fix their drivers.

GSODs and BSOD on flash video are the only errors that come to mind, but that's because I haven't experienced them myself..

What errors are you experiencing on NVIDIA? I haven't had driver issues on my GTX 260, 260 SLI, 280 SLI, 480, or 480 SLI rig. Outside of an issue of stuck AO settings where I had to uninstall and reinstall the driver and poor initial performance in BFBC2. Are you familiar with driver sweeper? That will kill any NVIDIA driver issues, since unlike ATI, the drivers themselves aren't broken. The settings on your computer are. (Or you're experiencing a hardware error)

Thank you for backing me up Nvidia brother.

tl;dr of entire 2 page thread

If you have money, and dont mind pushing your 400W Corsair close to the limit, then sure, go for the GTX 460. You will max out most games at 1680x1050 or 1080p. Don't forget that capacitors age, and you will move closer to that energy limit every day... so you should still replace the PSU in a year or two, or watch your system crash when your PSU can't output enough power

If you want a stable platform, save some money and lose a little eye candy(eg crysis, GTA IV, metro...), go for XFX 5770

If you don't mind waiting a bit longer (well, November is a little far off away... prolly details about the 6xxx series will leak october), then wait...

Back