Custom 9800GT cooler, writeup with pics!

YamahaAlex37

[H]ard|Gawd
My guild is raiding blackwing lair in an hour and the fan on my 9800GT crapped out! I barely hard time to run to the store and picked up a heatsink and fabricate a solution. I decided to post a write up with instructions and pics in case anyone ever wishes to use my hardware expertise:

Here is a before pic, damn fan crapped out, oh well the bulkiness of this cooler was unattractive to begin with in my opinion, i prefer something sleeker, with style.
Photo0585.jpg

Time to take of the cooler, couldn't find a screwdriver small enough but this butter knife worked fine:
Photo0586.jpg

Throw that crap in the trash! Looks like the manufacturers didn't use enough thermal paste, common mistake of a rushed production line. Don't worry about removing it, we'll just add ours on top. (A little extra cooling never hurt anything)
Photo0587.jpg

A good rule of thumb with thermal paste is too much is better than not enough, so be liberal. After all, having our product run a little extra cool is not going to hurt where as not applying enough may cause it to overheat!
Photo0594.jpg

This next step is important! Using a credit card liberally spread the thermal paste so that it is evenly distributed. Don't worry too much about the edges, only the core needs to be covered.
Photo0598.jpg

Now because there are no screw holes where we need them, simply place a dab of hot glue on the bottom of each screw and quickly press the heat sink into place.
Photo0588.jpg

Use the same aforementioned hot glue technique at each corner of the fan, then press onto the heat sink and plug in to the appropriate power pin connector.
Photo0593.jpg

Can you say SECKSEE! much sleeker, and not to mention TONS quieter!

I just got it put into the computer, and the raid is starting in 4 minutes! can't wait to post results and temps after!

Last edited:
that might suffice for wow but something that stresses that card much more and your memory is gonna overheat also WAY to much paste use like a drop the size of a large bb

Better option would be to leave the stock cooler on - remove the shroud and fan, then bolt on a 80mm fan. Still would take up 3 slots, but at least that way you keep your VRMS cooling.

Ok this isn't cool, I got up to go to the bathroom before my raid started and when I came back I smelt burning and the damn thing was smoking! Please help my guild needs me! I am thinking that due to the sleek seckseeness of this heatsink things may have got a little hot??

I will try applying some more thermal paste in the meantime while I wait for suggestions. Thanks!

Ok this isn't cool, I got up to go to the bathroom before my raid started and when I came back I smelt burning and the damn thing was smoking! Please help my guild needs me! I am thinking that due to the sleek seckseeness of this heatsink things may have got a little hot??

I will try applying some more thermal paste in the meantime while I wait for suggestions. Thanks!

or the fact that you put to much friggin thermalpaste on it and shorted out the board.. if you saw smoke its toast.. sucks for your guild..

Better option would be to leave the stock cooler on - remove the shroud and fan, then bolt on a 80mm fan. Still would take up 3 slots, but at least that way you keep your VRMS cooling.

at stock settings the vrm's on the 8800GT/9800GT dont require that much cooling just air passing over them is enough..

Last edited:
I agree that your pic had WAY too much thermal paste.

Also, using hot glue was a BAD idea.

I woulda tried to find a fan and put it on the original heatsink with the platic taken off or something. I have 2 4850's now if you want to buy one. HAHA.

btw just had to point this out because not pointing it out was irritating the shit out of me..

"A good rule of thumb with thermal paste is too much is better than not enough, so be liberal. After all, having our product run a little extra cool is not going to hurt where as not applying enough may cause it to overheat!"

if you seriously came up with this theory on your own.. you do not deserve to ever touch the inside of a computer again..

MORE IS NOT BETTER WHEN IT COMES TO THERMAL PASTE!!!!! common sense 101!! you have been on this forum for 5 years and you hadn't figured that out yet?

I like how people took him seriously, especially when his thermal paste was tooth paste.

Yeah, definitely trolling.

I'm pretty sure that's toothpaste. Last I checked, thermal paste doesn't have mint crystals in it to keep it "minty fresh."

I guess you'd need to be a WoW nerd to realize that no one has raided Blackwing Lair since Vanilla WoW. Now-a-days its pretty much ICC or bust.

Instead of thermal paste you should have tried butter. I was always told to put it on burns so the thermal conductivity must be OUT OF THIS WORLD. BUT! Make sure you use the high end stuff and not margarine. Even if it doesn't cool well, it should still smell good.

Thanks for the laughs, OP. You're a maniac!

This thread certainly brightened my day.

haha im glad people find this funny, i could not stop laughing when i started getting serious replies, although i appreciate the concerns. that was fun:D

What is really scary is that you got any serious replies at all in this forum. I mean, everyone here should have known better the second they saw that picture of "thermal paste".

Back