iPhone Application Development

maverick786us

2[H]4U
Is it possible to develop iPhone Applications in Windows? Or do I have to buy an inexpensive Mac Mini for Mac OS?

Is it possible to develop iPhone Applications in Windows? Or do I have to buy an inexpensive Mac Mini for Mac OS?

Virtualize OS X within Windows. Both VirtualBox and VMWare can handle it. Then, just install Xcode and you're ready to go.

Yeah, thats probably the easiet way to do it. It runs great in VMWare these days, but still no QE that I'm aware of :\

edit: or you can look into installing a seperate HDD in your main box and running a hackentosh. I had it running on my rig (with my old Mobo) perfectly and at full speed. You can check your hardware compatibility at 0sx86's wiki/forums.

Last edited:
Well, if you want to get it in the app store, you'll need a Mac. Adobe just dropped support for their Flash to iOS compiler after Apple shot down 3rd party dev tools for iOS applications. Xcode is a Mac only IDE.

Virtualize OS X within Windows. Both VirtualBox and VMWare can handle it. Then, just install Xcode and you're ready to go.

Yeah, thats probably the easiet way to do it. It runs great in VMWare these days, but still no QE that I'm aware of :\

edit: or you can look into installing a seperate HDD in your main box and running a hackentosh. I had it running on my rig (with my old Mobo) perfectly and at full speed. You can check your hardware compatibility at 0sx86's wiki/forums.

Well, if you want to get it in the app store, you'll need a Mac. Adobe just dropped support for their Flash to iOS compiler after Apple shot down 3rd party dev tools for iOS applications. Xcode is a Mac only IDE.

So using this you can do proper Objective C and develop iPhone based GUI? Does it have any limitation if I compare it with orignal Objective C present in Mac OS??

You can write Objective-C in any OS. Technically speaking, you can write an iPhone application in any OS, but you'll lack the ability to use the iPhone emulator unless you're using OS X. When you virtualize OS X, you're running OS X, and you can thusly run Xcode and the emulator (assuming you have the right hardware credentials).

I never tried running the emulator under virtualization, but I can guarantee you that Xcode will work.

I bought a mac mini for a few hundred bucks just for the sake of not having to continuously mess around with a hackintosh setup. XCode is a huge package (multiple gigs) but it's not really that taxing of a program to run, even on my four year old mac mini. So don't think you need a ton of resources if you're just going to be doing Xcode projects.

Compiling does take forever in a VM though =/

seriously? I wouldn't know...but how long for a regular app project? even on my 1.83Ghz with 3 gigs of ram it literally takes a few seconds for most apps.

LLVM is pretty God damn fast (LLVM 2.0 even faster). I doubt compile times would be an issue, even with a very large project.

Back