Could a Corsair 400w handle a Geforce 460?

Heyas folks my ol' faithful 9800gt just went nuclear and burnt out on me and I'm looking for a new bang for buck GPU. The reviews for the new 460 seem really promising but I just notice that the "recommended" min PSU for a 460 is a 450w. Is the quality of my Corsair 400w good enough to handle a slightly OC'd 460, an unlocked AMD 720BE, 3 HDDs, and a few case fans?

how long did you have the corsair for?

its doable... corsair's good... im going to run a 5770 on mine too :D, though 5770 uses less power(asks for 450W min too )

http://techreport.com/articles.x/19242/12

^^ 460 with 300Watts under i7 and 12GB ram, 1 hdd

believe the corsair has 30A under its single 12V

actually, just remembered the GTX 460 needing twin 6-pin

corsair 400w only has one 6-pin... you could use a molex->6pin, but i would rather get a better PSU if thats the case

So for 1680x1050 gaming I'm pretty much better off saving myself the headache and just going with a 5770 eh?

actually, just remembered the GTX 460 needing twin 6-pin

corsair 400w only has one 6-pin... you could use a molex->6pin, but i would rather get a better PSU if thats the case

What are you talking about? The Corsair CX400 has two 6-pin connectors. Also, tests have shown it could have easily been labeled a 450W unit. If he has a CX400 it should be able to handle the 460.

So for 1680x1050 gaming I'm pretty much better off saving myself the headache and just going with a 5770 eh?

whens the next time u plan on upgrading? it's all about how much youre gonna be paying for either card too......

What are you talking about? The Corsair CX400 has two 6-pin connectors. Also, tests have shown it could have easily been labeled a 450W unit. If he has a CX400 it should be able to handle the 460.

i have no idea what im talking about, especially a PSU that i run on my machine

http://www.corsair.com/products/cx/default.aspx

click on resources

for me, i rather have a 5770 because its lower power , and enough on 1680x1050(max or near-max on most games)... not to mention its cheaper

Last edited:
i have no idea what im talking about, especially a PSU that i run on my machine

http://www.corsair.com/products/cx/default.aspx

click on resources

for me, i rather have a 5770 because its lower power , and enough on 1680x1050(max or near-max on most games)... not to mention its cheaper

My bad. I have one as well and I thought I saw 2x 6pin on it. I guess I'll be using a molex adapter for the other 6 pin for my GTX 460.

The times when you have it at absolute peak are really going to be rare, even while gaming in hi-res. And remember that the times that your CPU and your GPU are at absolute peak at the SAME TIME are going to be even more rare! It's a great unit, and you will likely be fine.

If not, it's only a computer right? It's not like it's someone's kid or something ... :p

I didn't know this corsair unit would power a 460.. maybe even more surprising is the confidence in corsair products.. :)

well it will handle a 460 but I don't think you need anything more then a 5770 for that. save the mullah and put it toward a bigger screen. the 460 will take you out of the sweet spot but only when your gaming. if you want the 460 for a particular reason then go ahead. if not then a 5770,esp after you OC it, will be fine.

Yes, it will run the GTX460 perfectly fine and with a moderate amount of power to spare. Again the amperage requirements listed for GPUs are ... well ... somewhat inflated.

I just read a review where they had the 460 folding (100% GPU usage) and the card pulled 213w. That leaves you 150w to spare for your other stuff.

The 460 consumes 250W under Furmark load. I can't think of any games that are as demanding as Furmark. You'll be fine with 400W unless you're also powering 10 hard drives and an electric chainsaw with that PSU.

Power%20Consumption.png

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-gf104-fermi,2684-13.html

The 460 consumes 250W under Furmark load. I can't think of any games that are as demanding as Furmark. You'll be fine with 400W unless you're also powering 10 hard drives and an electric chainsaw with that PSU.

Power%20Consumption.png

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-gf104-fermi,2684-13.html

What about amperage on the +12V?

A friend of mine has asked me to build an SC2 machine for them on an extreme budget. I have a spare 400watt Sparkle that I could give them but it'd be nice to know the amperage requirements of the GTX 460.

What about amperage on the +12V?

A friend of mine has asked me to build an SC2 machine for them on an extreme budget. I have a spare 400watt Sparkle that I could give them but it'd be nice to know the amperage requirements of the GTX 460.

I don't know about sparkle brand PSU. I would not go there really. there are only a handful of brands that I would do that with, antec, sesonic, corsair, maybe a couple of others. a quality 400 watt will do this. I would not even try on anything else.

Ok, I got my GTX 460 today and I'm folding with it and running an Athlon II X4 640 at 3.3ghz, folding. The 460 is OC to 866 core, 1730 shaders 1.07v and my CX 400 is going strong. The GTX is folding as well and no probs. Your Corsair PSU will do fine. Mine isn't even putting out warm air to be honest.

Back