BIOS settings for a SSD

vitalym

Limp Gawd
Are there any particular BIOS settings that need to be changed if I use a SSD rather than a regular HDD? Should AHCI be enabled?

It seems to be running rather slow even though it's a SATA II drive in a SATA 6Gb/s

What's the make and model of your SSD. Download Crystal Disk (google it) and do a benchmarking run. My intel is blazing fast. it'll be slower (I think) w/ IDE enabled. The only thing is in order to turn on AHCI you have to install the OS while that is enabled. You can't change it after you install.

The only thing is in order to turn on AHCI you have to install the OS while that is enabled. You can't change it after you install.

Untrue. There's a simple regedit you can do - google it.

@OP: What OS are you using?

Last edited:
If you installed Win 7 directly to your ssd (as in, let the win 7 installation routine reformat it) then you are fine - the major performance "tweaks" are automatic in win 7 (disk alignment is the big one). Enable AHCI if you haven't already and you should be good to go. Going over the document linked to earlier by Kagato isn't a bad idea, but I doubt if any of those recs will offer too much by way of performance increases.

Back