What is the Current 1920x1080 Display King?

SylarPowers

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm going in circles researching and googling. What is the current 1920x1080 resolution king? I need that resolution to ensure it will play nice with my PS3 as well as my PC. A reasonable budget of about $300-$600 would be nice, unless the display really really justifies more. Also, it has to be from Amazon, I have gift cards and credit there.

I'm a fan of IPS tech, but this new 120hz stuff, despite being TN, is grabbing my interest. My main goals are PC gaming, PS3 gaming, and Blu-Ray viewing (from PC or PS3). Nvidia's 120Hz 3D has my interest but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra investment. However, even for just 2D stuff, the 120Hz displays promise smoother performance in even just basic Windows 7 stuff, which sounds sweet, and I was considering the Asus here:

http://www.amazon.com/VG236H-23-Inc...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1281000114&sr=1-1

... even tho I don't need the 3D glasses as of yet. Good excuse to grab a pair of 460's and two more displays down the road for Nvidia Vision Surround 3D tho.

Anyway, I would like a few IPS suggestions as well as some 120Hz TN and straight up Gaming Display suggestions. Low lag, PS3 compatibility, fast screen response are a must. Also, I need two digital connections, one for the PS3, one for the PC, of the HDMI or DVI variety.

Any help is much appreciated in advance =)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
A 16:9 AR monitor shouldn't ever carry the "display king" label.

I'm really seriously looking at the Dell U2311H (or the U2410, haven't decided). The 2311H has gotten pretty solid reviews despite some uniformity issues.

The Samsung PX2370 and Asus VW226H (i think that's the right model). The Dell is IPS, the Samsung and Asus are TN's

But those are the monitors I've seen thrown around.

I didn't ask for the king of all displays, just the king in this category silly.

You must remember that many people on here don't realize what image quality is and simply think bigger is better or a monitor is great because they bought it.

Get the Dell U2311H if you want IPS (beware of the quality control issues and it might take you 3 exchanges with Dell to get a good one)

Review:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2311h.htm

Or Acer G245H (250$ @ New Egg/Walmart/Amazon) which is a great gaming display

Review+compared to the Samsung PX2370 (which is overpriced and not nearly as good):
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035834696&postcount=16

Compared to a bunch of 1080p gaming displays so you can see for yourself that it's better:
http://wecravegames.com/forums/show...aming-Panel-Comparison-x9&p=173571#post173571

Don't get a 120hz monitor if you plan on doing alot of PS3 gaming as they can only display 60hz over HDMI. Your money will just be wasted, but if you must get one get the Acer GD235HZ or Asus VG236H

Acer Review:
http://www.digitalversus.com/acer-gd245hq-p357_7352_38.html

Asus Review:
http://www.digitalversus.com/asus-vg236h-p357_8913_150.html

The only issue with the Dell brand is they tend to not be available on Amazon, I have gift cards and credit I'm using for this purchase. Frankly Dell Direct is like talking to a "my first English class" and they are a hassle for sure. Add in Dells qc issues, and the NEC looks good compared even tho It's a bit slower.

Nice to see some model numbers I have not seen yet and links to click, should further my research, thanks, keep them coming.

Last edited:
I take that somewhat back, there are a few 3rd party dealers on Amazon for Dells, returns are better with Amazon tho, not sure if it is worth it.

The Eizo 2333 is 1920x1080 and has the deepest blacks of anything (tied with the inferior samsung) and costs $599. That said there is some talk that it has terrible motion handling so perhaps that kills it for gaming, not sure.

The Asus kit is very nice if you want to try out 3d vision.
I've got a pair of the 23" NECs myself. They are quite nice.
Not as fast as TN panels but the input lag is insignificant (8ms on average), and the viewing angle/colors etc. are superior to TN.

Here's a review of the Asus kit. Seems to get solid scores. It also appears to have a glossy screen. Some people like glossy, some don't, just be aware of it.
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_vg236h_3d_vision_monitor_review/7

Last edited:
I really wish I could afford the new PA series from NEC, esp that 27" one. I think this is my dream monitor, but it's still only 60-75hz...

Last edited:
I'd say NEC EA231WMi is cream of the crop, based on the one I got today. But I also ordered a Dell U2311h and will compare. Bye bye crappy TN panel!

Anandtech has this review up for the Asus 23" 120hz, and I must say, the urge to buy this one is strong, even tho I am a big IPS fan. He keeps saying the smoothness of the 120hz is a game changer and you can't go back.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3842/asus-vg236h-review-our-first-look-at-120hz

I think I will buy the Asus 23" 120hz now for gaming, and get a nice big 27" IPS down the road. My interest in 3D goes back and forth, but I can't find a Nvidia card I like, so screw that investment, I'll wait for the Non 3D release of the Asus.

However, that NEC EA Series 23" still looks great as a backup option.

Last edited:
Anandtech has this review up for the Asus 23" 120hz, and I must say, the urge to buy this one is strong, even tho I am a big IPS fan. He keeps saying the smoothness of the 120hz is a game changer and you can't go back.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3842/asus-vg236h-review-our-first-look-at-120hz

I think I will buy the Asus 23" 120hz now for gaming, and get a nice big 27" IPS down the road. My interest in 3D goes back and forth, but I can't find a Nvidia card I like, so screw that investment, I'll wait for the Non 3D release of the Asus.

However, that NEC EA Series 23" still looks great as a backup option.

Ditto for me. I may have to get 2 different monitors now - the Asus one just for gaming and an IPS monitor for everything else.

What is the Current 1920x1080 Display King?

There are no "Kings" in 1920x1080 so far.
This segment is at rudimentary stage quality wise. Just a few non-TN models are available and they are as small as 23".

Eizo 2333 is rudimentary stage quality???

There are no "Kings" in 1920x1080 so far.
This segment is at rudimentary stage quality wise.
Just a few non-TN models are available and they are as small as 23".

23" Eizo 2333 is far from being a king of anything.

I'd say NEC EA231WMi is cream of the crop, based on the one I got today. But I also ordered a Dell U2311h and will compare. Bye bye crappy TN panel!

This. TN's are garbage in comparison. I can't give to hoots about refresh rates if the PQ blows to begin with.

I would wait for the 27" 120hz Asus if that's in your budget.

I'm a big proponent of IPS for non-gaming uses, especially in portrait mode - but the 120hz TN monitors are really nice for the hard-core gamer. If you're like me, you may end up with 2 (or 3) monitors, with a 120hz low response TN as your main gaming monitor. I may upgrade to the 27" 120hz screens when availble, but I'm OK with the 23+" ones for now. I was very skeptical of the 120hz TNs but in practical use it's addictively smooth.
I like having at least 1 large monitor primarily in portrait mode, and that is my major text reading monitor - for that purpose IPS is best.

If I could only have 1 monitor (hard to even imagine such a scenario) that had to be 1080p, I would probably weigh the usage of that monitor, and if it was primarily gaming, get either the ASUS or Alienware 120hz 1080p TN, and for any other use, it would be either the Dell or the NEC 23" 1080p - probably the Dell, because of the better pixel response and because I know Dell's return policy and since both NEC and Dell users are having uniformity issues, ease of return is a factor for me.

what about the professional series, are they better than the ultrasharp series? what is the dells higher-end series?

not just in monitors, i have noticed that, asus makes the most higher end stuff there is. i personally dont like 1080p monitors, imo they should be used for tvs only.

what does the "u" in u2311 means?

U= "U idiot I can't believe you bought one of these, have fun exchanging it 3x:D"

1080p is the way to go, being stuck in a time warp to hold onto some extra space and sacrificing image quality is not...

Ps3 and blu ray scream for 16:9, I'm more concerned about viewing my content correctly than a few more pixels. Sure you can get more work done on 16:10, but compatibility wise, 16:9 is the futue. And if u get a 27" like the new 16:9 NEC 27" PA Series, honestly that's a lot of resolution by any standard. Everyone is fixated on the word king, so funny, seems to me this upcoming NEC is worthy of the crown by anyone's standard. So quality is not an issue as much as price it seems, cus the PA Series cost some bank.

Last edited:
not just in monitors, i have noticed that, asus makes the most higher end stuff there is. i personally dont like 1080p monitors, imo they should be used for tvs only.

Here's something for [H] users who have thick skulls... TVS ARE MONITORS just with better panels and image processors. Monitors are being left aside for TVs because of their small sizes and inferior panels. Find me a computer monitor that matches Samsungs C series in contrast (5000:1+) hint: you won't.

Multimedia and computers are converging and people want something that accommodates multimedia and that's a 16:9 panel. All you people whining about desktop workplace probably don't even work on your computers anyways. If you do there are always professional monitors that still offer your beloved aspect ratio. As long as you don't mind the lack of real image processing and crappy TN/IPS panels.

Here's something for [H] users who have thick skulls... TVS ARE MONITORS just with better panels and image processors. Monitors are being left aside for TVs because of their small sizes and inferior panels. Find me a computer monitor that matches Samsungs C series in contrast (5000:1+) hint: you won't.

Multimedia and computers are converging and people want something that accommodates multimedia and that's a 16:9 panel. All you people whining about desktop workplace probably don't even work on your computers anyways. If you do there are always professional monitors that still offer your beloved aspect ratio. As long as you don't mind the lack of real image processing and crappy TN/IPS panels.

Yeah people don't work on anything on their computers why would they want additional workspace? :rolleyes:

Yeah people don't work on anything on their computers why would they want additional workspace? :rolleyes:

Actually most people just use their computer for the web, video games and multimedia these days, welcome to 2010. Believe it or not people don't all still see computers as tools anymore, they are "leisure" devices as well. I think it would be fair to assume a LOT of people in this forum fall into just that catagory other than a bit of word processing and research.

Work still gets done on computers... but the only work that NEEDS that extra room is image editing.

Actually most people just use their computer for the web, video games and multimedia these days, welcome to 2010. Believe it or not people don't all still see computers as tools anymore, they are "leisure" devices as well. I think it would be fair to assume a LOT of people in this forum fall into just that catagory other than a bit of word processing and research.

Work still gets done on computers... but the only work that NEEDS that extra room is image editing.

I would prefer the extra room for web browsing and multimedia since there is more to multimedia than just 1080p videos. Face it, there is no con to having a higher resolution screen.

Other than the monitors that come along with it..

I like a higher screen resolution too but not with the options available on the marketplace.

Exactly guys, I just want one monitor/display/tv for everything, like the one bat monitor to rule them all. Or with Nvidia 3D Surround, the three bat monitors. TV's do have processing that works wonders, it would be great if they were not lag inducing and displayed 120Hz like the Asus 3D LCD. Currently I think PC Displays work both PC and TV stuff better than a TV would, but if a TV did both well, I would just buy a TV.

It's looking like the Asus will get my money next, and I will reevaluate later. Anandtech just posted a review that says you can't go back after viewing 120Hz.

what about the professional series, are they better than the ultrasharp series? what is the dells higher-end series?
Ultrasharp. Professional is for working. You'll notice the price difference.

Back