Verizon giving out early upgrades if your lucky

kytprice

Limp Gawd
Over at droidforum some of the members have been getting early upgrades by calling
1-800-437-6133 now this is for a special promo that verizon sent out to some of its costumers. But other people have been calling that special number and getting the same deal on Droid X and Incredible. I called day before yesterday told them the truth saw the number on the internet and thought I would try it anyway. The rep said well your 10 month to early but tell you what I will override it and give whichever one you want at upgrade price.
I got the Droid X for $199.00 and a regular droid for my wife for free can't beat that huh.
Thought you guys might want to give it a try before it runs out.
Oh yea if it does not work the first time they have been calling back and talking to a different rep and getting it on the second or third try.

Last edited:
I got the same offer in my mail yesterday. I'm still over a year away from end of contract. I think I'm gonna bite and leave my storm for a droid x.

Hmm, might bookmark this for when the Droid 2 comes out. I want to upgrade from my Droid to a Droid 2 just for the extra RAM :).

I went ahead and did it. I'm not (wasn't) eligible for an upgrade until September of 2011 so this is a great deal for me.

The only negative about the droid vs the blackberry I can think of is email pushing. Instead of my emails automatically coming to my phone and alerting me I may have to touch a send/receive button.

Hmm, might bookmark this for when the Droid 2 comes out. I want to upgrade from my Droid to a Droid 2 just for the extra RAM :).

The offer ends at the end of this month.

So what happens with your old phone when you upgrade, you get to keep it? I'm on the Incredible right now, so I don't think there is any chance they'll let me upgrade, especially since it isn't eligible till about Jan '12.

Sucks though cause my old pos phone wasn't eligible till Jan '11, so I just cut it down to nothing but the $10 for the line fee, and don't even use it. Added another line to the account for the Incredible to get the new line purchase price. And my girlfriend is on the same contract, they texted her a couple weeks ago saying she was eligible for an early upgrade, which she took advantage of already.

So what happens with your old phone when you upgrade, you get to keep it? I'm on the Incredible right now, so I don't think there is any chance they'll let me upgrade, especially since it isn't eligible till about Jan '12.

Sucks though cause my old pos phone wasn't eligible till Jan '11, so I just cut it down to nothing but the $10 for the line fee, and don't even use it. Added another line to the account for the Incredible to get the new line purchase price. And my girlfriend is on the same contract, they texted her a couple weeks ago saying she was eligible for an early upgrade, which she took advantage of already.

They definitely don't take your old phone, you keep it. But yeah, if you just got an Incredible a few months ago, I don't think there's any way they'll give you any upgrade deal any time soon. I will be amazed if they let me go to a Droid 2 from my Droid since I just got it last December and aren't even close to an annual upgrade yet. Not gonna stop me from trying though! Hah

I called and canceled my order for the droid X and am going to get the droid 2. The main thing that convinced me to switch was seeing a size comparison between my blackberry storm and the droid x. My storm is a large phone. The droid x is a good bit bigger. I'd rather not join the tablet phone market.

I called and canceled my order for the droid X and am going to get the droid 2. The main thing that convinced me to switch was seeing a size comparison between my blackberry storm and the droid x. My storm is a large phone. The droid x is a good bit bigger. I'd rather not join the tablet phone market.

The droid x is thinner than the storm and the droid. I went with it because of the big screen. The phone isn't really a burden for me.

I looked at the Droid X the other day and holy crap is that thing huge. Its like putting a netbook up to the side of your head. I'd like a Droid phone of some kind but the Droid X is right out.

As an owner of a droid X for a week now (I have to say I owned the LG Dare previously) I must say the size is perfect! It seems big when you first see it but when you actually use it, then you appreciate it's size. There is actually no reason for the slide out keyboard, SWYPE is beyond amazing for rapid text entry. The droid 2 is not much smaller than the X, it is thicker with the slide out keyboard. I say give the X a try and you will see for yourself. Screen size does matter.

be aware that if you do the early upgrade your resigning up for a 2 year contract....

i just ordered my x the other day :) upgrading from my storm about 5 months early.... couldnt be happier... especially now that BBY 6 isnt coming for the storm's

be aware that if you do the early upgrade your resigning up for a 2 year contract....

i just ordered my x the other day :) upgrading from my storm about 5 months early.... couldnt be happier... especially now that BBY 6 isnt coming for the storm's

I've only had my storm about 8 months out of a two year contract so it's a killer deal. I've been with verizon ~10 years and don't plan on switching so the new 2yr is nothing.

How do those of you that ordered the X or 2 feel about this supposed 1.3Ghz/4"/keyboard monster to be released in November?

Well it's just like any other electronic device, as soon as you get something, they release something cooler, lol. But there haven't been any pics or true specs from what I have seen. All I know is I am loving my droid X!

As an owner of a droid X for a week now (I have to say I owned the LG Dare previously) I must say the size is perfect! It seems big when you first see it but when you actually use it, then you appreciate it's size. There is actually no reason for the slide out keyboard, SWYPE is beyond amazing for rapid text entry. The droid 2 is not much smaller than the X, it is thicker with the slide out keyboard. I say give the X a try and you will see for yourself. Screen size does matter.

It looked like I'd be carrying around a netbook in my pocket. No thanks.

Seriously though, it isn't that bad. Unless you are rocking the skinny jeans, you won't have any problem putting it in your pocket. It is thinner than the droid, so I actually find it easier to carry.

How do those of you that ordered the X or 2 feel about this supposed 1.3Ghz/4"/keyboard monster to be released in November?

That would depend on how much we like the X or 2. Once your phone (even your computer) gets to a certain level of competence and performance, you don't really need anything better.

will the new phone have some brand new revolutionary feature that you must have? if not I won't care. I expect the droid 2 to be much more than i need.

Last edited:

Unless you are a 95 lbs woman, the Droid X isn't that much bigger then a lot of the other newer phones out there. Here are some comparison shots between iPhone 4 and Droid X: http://www.engadget.com/photos/droid-x-vs-iphone-4-hang-out/#3113262

The Droid X Dimensions: 5.02 X 2.58 X 0.39 inches
The iPhone 4 Dimensions: 4.5 X 2.31 X 0.37 inches

Droid X is .52 inches taller and .27 inches wider than iPhone 4

The half inch of height is the most notable size difference between those 2 phones, so if that bothers you that much, then yeah, you should probably go for a smaller phone.

Last edited:
wont the efused bootloader on the driod X make rooting the phone unlikely? I haven't heard much about it lately so I'm not sure if it's been cracked or not yet

I've only had my storm about 8 months out of a two year contract so it's a killer deal. I've been with verizon ~10 years and don't plan on switching so the new 2yr is nothing.

i agree... love verizon and i wont be switching any time soon either

The droid X has been rooted successfully according to several sources. There is even an app that roots it for you.

Another big fan of Verizon here also. I have always had excellent customer service whenever I deal with them. Also their call center is not in bangladesh.

I wasn't able to order the droid 2 yesterday as it wasn't for general sale until today although I canceled the X yesterday. I called back the rep who had been working with me and ordered the droid2 today. It should be here in a couple days.

I wanted to give some kudos to the service rep who helped me, Larry Montero. He was very friendly/helpful (knew his stuff) and not pushy although I did get a couple accessories after he offered some nice discounts on screen protector and cases.

anyway, if you are going to jump on this deal give him a call. His number is 888-924-7934 ext 8032. You'll skip all the phone tree menu stuff this way too.

Last edited:
Unless you are a 95 lbs woman, the Droid X isn't that much bigger then a lot of the other newer phones out there. Here are some comparison shots between iPhone 4 and Droid X: http://www.engadget.com/photos/droid-x-vs-iphone-4-hang-out/#3113262

The iPhone 4 Dimensions: 4.5 X 2.31 X 0.37 inches

Droid X is .52 inches taller and .27 inches wider than iPhone 4

The half inch of height is the most notable size difference between those 2 phones, so if that bothers you that much, then yeah, you should probably go for a smaller phone.

Your own link shows a pretty massive difference in the length of the phone. I saw one at a store only the one time but the thing looked massive. Carrying it wouldn't be a huge deal as I have fairly baggy pants on most of the time. Still I can't imagine putting that hulking laptop like thing up to the side of my head to talk. Its worse than the old school Blackberry's.

Your own link shows a pretty massive difference in the length of the phone. I saw one at a store only the one time but the thing looked massive. Carrying it wouldn't be a huge deal as I have fairly baggy pants on most of the time. Still I can't imagine putting that hulking laptop like thing up to the side of my head to talk. Its worse than the old school Blackberry's.

I agree, I've played around with it. It pockets ok, but it's so big I can't use it one handed, nor do I want to hold that thing to my face.

The incredible or EVO is about as big as I want to get... we're switching our company over to VZW probably in Oct so as the person in charge of Cell Phones I get to pick out anyone I like! Right now I'm thinking the Droid2 or Incredible.... :)

I agree, I've played around with it. It pockets ok, but it's so big I can't use it one handed, nor do I want to hold that thing to my face.

The incredible or EVO is about as big as I want to get...

LOL.. the Droid X is less than a quarter of an inch taller than the EVO 4G. The X is also a tad narrower and slimmer than the EVO.

The EVO 4G Dimensions: 4.80 x 2.60 x 0.50 inches

So, that quarter of an inch in height on the Droid X makes it too big for your face? It's amazing how the EVO is not too big, but the Droid X is. I don't really understand how that conclusion can be made based on the actual dimensions of the 2 phones.

Honestly, I ultimately don't care what phone you get, but saying the Droid X is too big when a phone that is nearly identical is size isn't too big, is pretty laughable.

Here's what I DON'T like about the Droid X. I ordered mine last Friday and I still don't have it. Verizon keeps pushing back the ship date on their website, so it leaves me with no clue when they are actually going to ship it to me. I'm getting annoyed and impatient waiting for it. I've considering switching my order to the Droid 2, but I for one LIKE the bigger dimensions, the better camera/camcorder and the form factor on the Droid X. So, I'm probably just going to wait it out.

Honestly, I ultimately don't care what phone you get, but saying the Droid X is too big when a phone that is nearly identical is size isn't too big, is pretty laughable..

To be fair he did say the EVO was as big as he wanted to get. I don't really want one bigger than my BB storm either. I consider my storm to be on the verge of too big. An extra .5" in height is significant when you get to the 5" range (.5" taller than my storm)

wont the efused bootloader on the driod X make rooting the phone unlikely? I haven't heard much about it lately so I'm not sure if it's been cracked or not yet

The eFuse is not an issue in the least, nor has it ever been.

Rooting the phone and hacking the bootloader are two different things.

The phone has already been rooted, and they are making progress on loading roms.

Wow, I got my Droid in December. You think that guy you talked to will let me go to a Droid 2 if I call him? That just seems insane they'd let me upgrade this early, but if he did it for you, I'll certainly try, heh. I've been with Verizon for 6 years now and don't plan to change either, so a new contract is not a big deal for me. Yeah, Verizon may be a bit more expensive with their smart phone plans, but I can easily afford it and I think we get what we pay for (with coverage and service has been great for me so far).

Wow, I got my Droid in December. You think that guy you talked to will let me go to a Droid 2 if I call him? That just seems insane they'd let me upgrade this early, but if he did it for you, I'll certainly try, heh. I've been with Verizon for 6 years now and don't plan to change either, so a new contract is not a big deal for me. Yeah, Verizon may be a bit more expensive with their smart phone plans, but I can easily afford it and I think we get what we pay for (with coverage and service has been great for me so far).

It doesn't hurt to try. Call his number direct and bypass the phone tree.

edit:

This is why I chose the droid 2 over the droid X:

Last edited:

edit:

Half my reason for picking the X is in that picture too... the big ass screen. The other half is that it is significantly thinner. If you don't have tiny girl hands or wear hipster skinny jeans, you won't have any problem holding the X or putting it in your pocket.

Seriously though, it is about as small as a phone with that size screen and it isn't that big. We get it. It is too big for your taste. You don't need to post cute pictures or say "its like holding a tablet up to your head, lulz".

Everyone knows that the droid x is bigger than the droid 2. It doesn't need to be repeatedly stated.

Half my reason for picking the X is in that picture too... the big ass screen. The other half is that it is significantly thinner. If you don't have tiny girl hands or wear hipster skinny jeans, you won't have any problem holding the X or putting it in your pocket.

Seriously though, it is about as small as a phone with that size screen and it isn't that big. We get it. It is too big for your taste. You don't need to post cute pictures or say "its like holding a tablet up to your head, lulz".

Everyone knows that the droid x is bigger than the droid 2. It doesn't need to be repeatedly stated.

I don't remember any other pics of the two phones side by side in this thread. So STFU nOObie.

Thanks for quoting the picture.

Yeah, the X isn't for everyone. It's definitely not for me though. I have the smallest hands of any guy I know and it's even a strech for my thumb to reach the top of my Droids screen when just holding it in one hand, so I know there's no way I could comfortably handle the X one-handed. The D2 has the exact same performance specs and has a physical kb too, which I love to have for long messages and typing in forums :).

LOL.. the Droid X is less than a quarter of an inch taller than the EVO 4G. The X is also a tad narrower and slimmer than the EVO.

The EVO 4G Dimensions: 4.80 x 2.60 x 0.50 inches

So, that quarter of an inch in height on the Droid X makes it too big for your face? It's amazing how the EVO is not too big, but the Droid X is. I don't really understand how that conclusion can be made based on the actual dimensions of the 2 phones.

Honestly, I ultimately don't care what phone you get, but saying the Droid X is too big when a phone that is nearly identical is size isn't too big, is pretty laughable.

It is NOT identical in size. A quarter of an inch when talking about a large cell phone is significant to some of us. I don't want to put something the size of a netbook up to my face to talk. That phone is wider than most if not all other smart phones and I've already thought that some of them were out of hand as far as size went as it is.

Here's what I DON'T like about the Droid X. I ordered mine last Friday and I still don't have it. Verizon keeps pushing back the ship date on their website, so it leaves me with no clue when they are actually going to ship it to me. I'm getting annoyed and impatient waiting for it. I've considering switching my order to the Droid 2, but I for one LIKE the bigger dimensions, the better camera/camcorder and the form factor on the Droid X. So, I'm probably just going to wait it out.

If you like phones that big then great. Go for it. I for one don't really care about my phone having tons of features. I like having internet access on it and occasionally use the GPS, text etc. but I don't watch video on my phone, I rarely use the camera feature, and an enormous touch screen isn't something I consider a serious advantage.

To be fair he did say the EVO was as big as he wanted to get. I don't really want one bigger than my BB storm either. I consider my storm to be on the verge of too big. An extra .5" in height is significant when you get to the 5" range (.5" taller than my storm)

Agreed. The Storm was pretty damned big. I've got an iPod Touch which is the size of some of the iPhone's and that's bigger than I'd want a phone to be. The thickness isn't a huge issue, but rather than length and height of it.

edit:

Image snip............

I don't care what the numbers say, that's a massive difference in size.

I still say its like holding a tablet PC up to your head. You really don't need to defend your choice so fervently. We get that you like the Droid X. That's fine. Not all of us care about having a screen that large. If I wanted that I'd get a netbook or carry a laptop.

Did people look @ you funny for holding a black iPad to your head?

I was thinking the same thing.

The eFuse is not an issue in the least, nor has it ever been.

Rooting the phone and hacking the bootloader are two different things.

The phone has already been rooted, and they are making progress on loading roms.

that makes sense. So you just can't load pre-configured/altered firmwares, right? You should be able to accomplish the same thing once you root it (I assume)

Hrmm I might try this to get a Droid X. There is no way I would ever get the Droid 2. I love my current Droid but it feels like a brick in my hand and pockets. I almost never use the physical keyboard even though I have been trying to condition myself to use it for texting. The physical key just sucks and the Droid 2 looks like it uses the same mat type keyboard. I would rather use the on screen keyboard and have something the weighs half the weight. Thanks OP.

Back