Friend just had his 8800gt fried in Starcraft 2..

Mortuus

[H]ard|Gawd
Wow damn, how can this game burn the videocard? he played like second mission and suddenly no signal and a burning smell shortly after.. :eek:

20100729227.jpg

20100729229.jpg

There is a known overheating 'bug' within SC2. Your friend should contact Blizzard, but without proof I doubt they'll help.

Holy smokes.

Edit, yes I've heard the same about the menu screens rendering way too quickly. One solution, which I briefly glanced over, was to place a "framerate cap." I'm guessing they meant "use vsync?"

I'm skeptical that any of this is true. I'm seeing this all over the net.

Holy smokes.
Edit, yes I've heard the same about the menu screens rendering way too quickly. One solution, which I briefly glanced over, was to place a "framerate cap." I'm guessing they meant "use vsync?"
You can put a framerate cap by editing the variables file (Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt)
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/13501356 has more details.

I'm skeptical that any of this is true. I'm seeing this all over the net.
It's true. You can clearly see the GPU maxing out on certain menu screens. The bug was reported quite a while ago during beta testing but no actions were taken.
Blizzard acknowledges this problem as a "known issue".

Many video cards have inadequate cooling or are not tolerant of prolonged max stress due to age or some other factor.

Thanks for the framerate cap link. I will definitely edit that in when I get home. Better to not take any chances

It can affect any card that has inadequate cooling or is vulnerable to "prolonged max stress" as Nanoha put it above. Easiest way to prevent it is to enable v-sync.

yikes, thats crazy.

as Nanoha said, you can cap the framerates to prevent this from happening. I gotta say, I'm a little miffed that Blizzard released this game in the state that they did. It's plagued with bugs that render the game unplayable for a lot of the people that bought it (not to mention, breaking hardware)

I hope they reimburse your friend, but I doubt they will. keep us posted on what they say about it.

How is it possible that SC2 menus "max out" a video card in a way that, say, MW2 without v-sync or a framerate cap doesn't?

Do other games not "max out" my card?

wow thats crazy. didn't know the heat bug will actually fry a card:eek:

How is it possible that SC2 menus "max out" a video card in a way that, say, MW2 without v-sync or a framerate cap doesn't?

Do other games not "max out" my card?

ya know... I don't quite understand that myself. I've played plenty of games that's menus ran upwards of 500 fps lol

and ironically enough, I haven't put that frame cap line in my config file, yet my menus are maxed at 62fps (no vsync enabled) while others are getting CRAZY fps with less powerful GPU's

That could explain why the game got sluggish after awhile and one case, noticing how I ran into a stream of heat while switching out audio plugs at the back of my case.

I can't imagine the poor laptops :eek:

It's true. You can clearly see the GPU maxing out on certain menu screens. The bug was reported quite a while ago during beta testing but no actions were taken.
Blizzard acknowledges this problem as a "known issue".

Many video cards have inadequate cooling or are not tolerant of prolonged max stress due to age or some other factor.

so far I am only seeing nVidia card getting fried up like this due to driver update.

I have not yet heard anything about ATI card get fried... yet..

If game is stressing the GPU, it doesn't mean it will burn it like this, most likely bad fan profile (such as driver cause) or horrible airflow, or just complete dusted card..

I highly doubt this is Blizzard's issue on this one, more likely the user or card company.

I been using GTX 480 @ 860/2000, haven't got anything fried yet since BETA..

PS: is your name from that "Magical Lyrical Girl" thing? XD

I also have an 8800GT, and theres a bug with the 8800GT when you play the tutorials, the game will freeze your PC, sound will start replaying. You have to set the shader level to low or raise all the settings to highest.

anyway, this game has something against the 8800GT. I checked my temps and my card never gets above 70C, I have rivatuner fan profiles though.

This was not caused by the game itself, and is no fault of blizzard. I'd contact the manufacturer of the video card -- they should be responsible for inadequate cooling. The video card should have stopped before it exploded...

I can see the code now --
Code:
  If $videoCard.model = "8800" then $videoCard.detonate

heres the instructions for the lazy
“Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt”
frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60

GTX470 was hitting 94c during one of the cut scenes (not movies) then held around 85c while playing (everything on Ultra, 1920x1080)
Then again my fan speed was only at 40% for some reason

My 8800GT overheated today too. Not in the menus though (I have the 'fix' for that), it was while playing the game. Odd considering I played for a little over an hour yesterday and my temps were fine. After a longer session today though, it overheated and locked up. I do have an aftermarket cooler on it too (AC Accelero S1 with dual 120mm fans) so maybe it just takes me longer to heat soak it.
:(

Wow! Epic pictures! Sorry for the loss. Fortunately you can probably find another really cheap.

I don't see how this could be caused by a game. I once had some outrageously high temps in game (thankfully I almost always have rivatuner OSD running) and after looking at my log it turned out that the core voltage on the GPU was really high. I had noticed that a day or two before hand too. I rolled back the driver and it hasn't happened again.

What type of vrms does the 8800gt use? I don't think that it uses the volterra vrms or that software control over voltage is even possible.

Last edited:
This was not caused by the game itself, and is no fault of blizzard. I'd contact the manufacturer of the video card -- they should be responsible for inadequate cooling. The video card should have stopped before it exploded...

I can see the code now --
Code:
  If $videoCard.model = "8800" then $videoCard.detonate

Clearly this piece of code was at fault. ;)

Also, mandatory "correlation does not imply causation" quote here. :)

Yeah, the quality of video cards these days when it comes to cooling and handling stress is a little disappointing. Then again, the quality of everything is constantly decreasing :(

heres the instructions for the lazy
“Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt”
frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60

That didn't work for me... neither did setting vsync.
GPU usage goes 100% and temps keep increasing...
What else can I try?

That didn't work for me... neither did setting vsync.
GPU usage goes 100% and temps keep increasing...
What else can I try?

I would try the fps limiter that people were using for micro stutter and the fallout 3/Oblivion stutter mentioned here. I would combine that with D3DOverrider.

There is a known overheating 'bug' within SC2. Your friend should contact Blizzard, but without proof I doubt they'll help.

And how do you get proof?

if it is a known bug blizzard is screwed, since no one can prove if it happened except their word against blizzard...

Well they could go with serial key and receipt really kind of a one time replacement for people who own SC2 and a card died, but then you can see people getting their friends dead cards..

Or, does SC2 keep a file somewhere that records the system hardware they would require?

this is a mix between the card makers and blizzard.. many people run their cards %100 folding and yet they arent dieing yet all of a sudden a blizzard game can do this when no other game has?

ya know... I don't quite understand that myself. I've played plenty of games that's menus ran upwards of 500 fps lol

and ironically enough, I haven't put that frame cap line in my config file, yet my menus are maxed at 62fps (no vsync enabled) while others are getting CRAZY fps with less powerful GPU's

500 fps and a gpu sitting at 100% load are 2 different things.. the menu is causing the card to run at a 100% load.. gpu and shaders which is causing the problem.. if you cap the frame rate then the gpu load is limited because it doesnt need to sit at full load to run the capped frame rate.. if you leave it uncapped then.. well you can obviously see what happens..

another menu screen like this is the AVP menu screen.. the gpu doesnt sit at 100% load like SC2 but will sit between 80-95% load..

Wonder how long until SC2 burns down a house...perhaps it started the wildfires in California. Or it will be the single cause for the burning death of all South Koreans.....

Don't own it, but for as long as the game has been in development....I would have expected this game to be free of bugs that cause computers to burn themselves up and another that prevents people from saving their progress. They took out a lot of features the old game had, should be less to go wrong.

just cause they took out features doesn't mean they didn't add other feature, not to mention new game engine.

I was playing SC2 last night and my sister got pregnant. DAMN YOU BLIZZARD!

On a side note -- this is probably more driver related than card related. Didn't nVidia have a driver that caused the 8800gt's to do this? I remember reading about it a while back, and it wasn't out for very long before they yanked it....

Here's the link I read a while back: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/warning-nvidia-19675-drivers-can-kill-your-graphics-card/7551

It says the problem is with the 196.75 drivers.

Yeah I had fraps running and noticed FPS in 800s on menus. Hope it didn't do any damage.

I was playing SC2 last night and my sister got pregnant. DAMN YOU BLIZZARD!

On a side note -- this is probably more driver related than card related. Didn't nVidia have a driver that caused the 8800gt's to do this? I remember reading about it a while back, and it wasn't out for very long before they yanked it....

Here's the link I read a while back: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/warning-nvidia-19675-drivers-can-kill-your-graphics-card/7551

It says the problem is with the 196.75 drivers.

the drivers that were pulled were missing the fan controller in the drivers.. so it was yanked because it was setting the fan to 0% instead of 30%.. but that has nothing to do with a game killing a card.. ya need to get your facts straight because those drivers have absolutely nothing to do with what SC2 is doing..

Back