Music skipping when streaming to PS3

superballz00

Limp Gawd
I used to stream music directly to the wireless on my PS3 and there would be a slight pause from a fraction of a second to a full second. This would happen a few times per song. Movies stream fine with no skipping at all. I recently got a wireless N adapter for the PS3 to stream my bluray discs because I want to save the bluray drive on my PS3 for games. I now have a Netgear WNR2000 router streaming media to my PS3 connected to a Trendnet TEW-647GA access point. Music still skips but now video would freeze for a few seconds. My had pauses when streaming video range from every 5mins to 30mins. Bandwidth isn't causing the videos to freeze because even SD video at under 5Mbps will freeze. The signal strength between the router and access point is around 90%. I'm thinking my router is the problem since the audio skipping happens both with the PS3 wireless and the Trendnet. I've tried streaming both from my laptop and PC along with different media clients with the same problem. The wireless connection from my laptop to the router seems to be stable because my VPN stays connected until the VPN server disconnects me. I've noticed that I'm getting a lot of CRC errors on the Trendnet statistics page along with all frames having to be retransmitted for it to be successful. I can get over half of the frames to transmit successfully if I change the MCS to under 10 instead of having it on auto which is at 15.

Last edited:
I'm get mostly frames transmitted successfully without retry with a MCS of 11 or less. I played around with the MCS and found that 4,5, and 9 were the most stable with 5 giving me the highest throughput. This solved the frozen video issue but music still skips. I was able to play music for a whole hour without it skipping earlier today. I went to check my access point status page and saw that I was getting very few Frames Received With CRC Errors compared to Frames Received Successfully. Music starts to skip once most of the Frames Received have CRC Error. Does anyone know what is causing most of my frames to have CRC error?

Just got this and I'm having the same EXACT problem, only with an ASUS NT-R12 Router with DD-WRT. Were you able to fix it?

do a transfer speed test between your router and a computer. i would bet the router cant serve files faster then a few single MB/sec. there was a thread yesterday about this. routers suck at serving files, only way around it is to get an actual NAS.

Setting the MCS to under 10 fixed it. I get the best speeds with MCS at 5 so you'll have to play around with it. I get around 60Mbps at the PS3 location and 90Mbps when in my bedroom. Streaming HD video with no problem since they rarely get above 50Mbps. Just set the MCS below 10 and you shouldn't have any issues.

Setting the MCS to under 10 fixed it. I get the best speeds with MCS at 5 so you'll have to play around with it. I get around 60Mbps at the PS3 location and 90Mbps when in my bedroom. Streaming HD video with no problem since they rarely get above 50Mbps. Just set the MCS below 10 and you shouldn't have any issues.

hmmm....i tried that and that didn't work. I might just have a faulty unit then.

Egads!

So every single frame transmitted required a retry, and you have 224000 frames with a CRC error, as compared to ~20000 received successfully. Looks like you needed about 10 retries to before a frame could be rx'ed successfully.

There could be some RF interference (another wifi network or a microwave oven), or potentially, you could have some very broken hardware (maybe a bad soldering job on one of the RF connectors)

Back