Cataclysm; which tree for DPS ? Blood = TANK only

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Ok, I just switched my Death Knight to a DPS, was a Tank before this, and I sucked at DK Tanking. My new spec is a hybrid, 51-Blood + 20-Unholy, and I am shocked how bad ass my DK is now, I just mow down enemies like a knife through hot butter. I went off this build;
http://www.wowgoldm.com/blood-dk-highest-dps-spec-in-wow-3-3

I already have a a bad ass Paladin Tank, so good just having the one Tank.

But I keep reading about Blizzard making MAJOR changes to the Death Knight in Cataclysm, they want to give the DK a true Tank tree, just like Protection is for Warriors and Paladins, and that will be the new revised Blood tree, with talents moved in from Frost and Unholy, that were Tank specific. And that possibly the Frost tree will become the new DPS path.

But what about my current build right now, this new hybrid Blood/Unholy DPS I love, will I need to completely respec once Cataclysm arrives and learn a whole new spec and rotation ?

They are changing specs so much I'm just not going to worry about it right now. I've been playing DPS blood since I hit 80 and I'll be in the same boat. I'm interested in seeing how dual wield ends up, but not sure yet. Pretty much will just be wait and see.

i think they said it was going to be simple, blood = tank, frost = dw dps unholy = 2h dps

So pick your weapons and go from there

They are changing specs so much I'm just not going to worry about it right now. I've been playing DPS blood since I hit 80 and I'll be in the same boat. I'm interested in seeing how dual wield ends up, but not sure yet. Pretty much will just be wait and see.
Yup. Talents are changing A LOT come Cataclysm. Don't worry about trying to make a good spec right now. Beta JUST started and there will still be a lot of changes before the release.

Do you think Frost will become the new Blood-DPS tree in Cat ?

It sounds like they are moving all Tank talents from Unholy and Frost and putting in Blood. So will the good DPS talents found in Blood be moved out to Frost ? Like right now with my spec Heart Strike is big maybe that will change to Frost Strike ?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Do you think Frost will become the new Blood-DPS tree in Cat ?

It sounds like they are moving all Tank talents from Unholy and Frost and putting in Blood. So will the good DPS talents found in Blood be moved out to Frost ? Like right now with my spec Heart Strike is big maybe that will change to Frost Strike ?

Frost strike is totally different from heart strike in terms of mechanics, but yes, for DPS purposes you will be choosing from either frost or unholy. Just looking at the trees (which are going to be completely revamped again anyway) bloods DPS talents have been split fairly evenly between frost and unholy while blood has taken things like bone shield from unholy icebound fortitude from frost.

I dunno about you, but I think Frost DW is the best personal DPS of all the DK specs at the moment and I hope it stays that way, It barely edges out Unholy if you include BiS gear (including Shadowmourne. I feel there are too many classes that roll on two handers compared to 2.6 speed one handers.

But I like the fact tanking is gonna be in one tree because at the moment, DK tanks take too much sudden damage if not played correctly, and buffing them when it comes to the three trees would also make them OP in PvP, as which was the case before they were nerfed.

My best DPS when I played was my DW Frost DK, I could never get my Blood or Unholy to anywhere near the level of efficiency and consistency of my Frost spec and itemization. Although come Cata when I start playing again I will be rolling a Goblin Mage :D.

Unholy will be the 2H DPS spec in Cataclysm. You might as well give it a shot now and see how you like it. My DK's main DPS spec was Blood up until about a week ago, when I decided to what Unholy was like, and aside from having the Ghoul helping you, it's not all that different.

With my hybrid Blood/Unholy I love the self healing, I never need to bubble, or use bandages. I can take on 80 Elites in Icecrown continent on my own easily and barely go down in health. Even in 5 man Heroics the healers say how much easier it is to heal me, very fast, and I just mow down the enemies.

I just need better gear to handle the Raids, my damage is not that high right now, mainly being in 226/232 Tier 9 gear. But Frost gear takes a while with a fresh build. Running the dailies, and weekly Raids casually will get you like almost 20 Frost right there in one week, and then trying to run a few more10man Raids can get you several more emblems. So at most casually, I can get close to 30 Frost a week, and that's playing a lot for me.

51 points in a tree and the rest in another isn't considered a hybrid spec imho, almost every class spends fifty something pts in one tree and the rest in another. But yeah, try unholy, you will see your damage go up significantly with all the spell damage and plus the greater aoe will make running dungeons quicker. Blood is heavily physical meaning you might need plenty of armor pen and perhaps you should be stacking it at a certain point. I'd say its the most gear dependent of all the specs.

Like others have said, don't even bother looking at the talent trees in Cata now. They announced the other day that the current beta trees are being tossed out the window, and they are completely redoing how talents work in WoW. We should see the new trees and stuff in the beta sometime in the next few weeks though.

However, the blood=tank, frost=dw dps, unholy=2h dps is likely sticking (though in the current beta trees frost has a 2h weapon talent, so 2h frost may or may not be viable?....we'll see after the new trees are released I guess)

I thought Frost would become the new Blood-DPS tree ?

Anyways, for a Tank I totally love my Paladin. He is awesome.

I thought Frost would become the new Blood-DPS tree ?

Anyways, for a Tank I totally love my Paladin. He is awesome.
Have you not been reading the responses, or are you just trolling us now? Three people, myself included, have stated that if you want to continue using two-handed weapons like Blood currently does, then Unholy will be the spec for you in Cataclysm. Frost is a dual-wielding spec, like Fury Warriors and Enhancement Shaman.

I am going to miss frost tanking. I love it. Howling blast is a great aide for aggro on AOE packs.

So for us that like Blood dps which gives us DK's the highest single target dps damage over any other spec, compared to Unholy which is more AOE damage. Plus the Blood spec has the nice self healing, which they say helps the healers keeping us alive. In Cat will it now be Frost tree spec for best single target ?

BTW, have you all seen the crazy new crafted gear from Black Smith's in Cataclysm ? Will be Level 85 iLevel 359, and the stats on this stuff is just fucking insane.
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1922-Epic-Crafted-Items-Blizzcon-Contests-Concept-Arts

Back