MacBook Pro + WRT54GL + DD-WRT = No WiFi

’m‚³‚ñ

Supreme [H]ardness
So we got a brand new i5 based MacBook Pro. It works fine, except it will NOT connect to my WiFi network at all. The iPod touch has no problem, and the MBP sees my neighbor's WiFi no problem.

I've tried doing manual setup (client timed out), and everything else, but it will not see or connect to the WRT54.

Am I'm going to need to flash the WRT54GL back to factory firmware (which is going to suck because the iPod won't have WiFi anymore), or get a new router?

I'm using WPA2 Personal for encryption, and the router is set in B/G wireless mode. The MBP has the card in it that will do A/B/G/N, but the router we've got now does fine for the entire house as long as I can turn the broadcast power on the antenna up to 71mW, the factory firmware limits it to 32mW which means the iPod has WiFi when it's within 3 feet (there's something in my neighborhood creating broad-band interference). The router is mounted up high, next to a wall with no wiring in it, in an older house with wood frame, so the signal isn't impeded by anything in the walls. Electrical runs through the floor...

I'm really at a loss as to what the deal is. I seriously don't want to run un-encrypted Wifi, and I don't want to have to play around with Wireless settings (my WPA2 password is extremely long, and made of random numbers and letters I've memorized) too much. I'd just use my neighbor's WiFi, except the signal strength at like 5% at the edge of the house closest to my neighbor's house.

Ideas or suggestions? Sorry for the long post, not feeling so good.

No...

Edit: WiFi is setup on channel 12, WPA2 encryption, SSID broadcast is on. AES +TKIP

When I put in a password, it rejects it as incorrect regardless of if it is correct or not, or simply says "timed out".

’m‚³‚ñ;1035930273 said:
When I put in a password, it rejects it as incorrect regardless of if it is correct or not, or simply says "timed out".

I have this problem all the time on my MBP C2D with various networks. Sadly, I have no suggestions.
Is this the only computer on the WiFi network?

I have this problem all the time on my MBP C2D with various networks. Sadly, I have no suggestions.
Is this the only computer on the WiFi network?

other than the iPod, yes. iPod has WiFi over good range which makes me think it's not a problem with the radios.

I'm just about to the point of getting a new/different router (hopefully one with a gigabit switch in it), and just use the WRT54GL as a bridge/repeater for the other end of the house, so the iPod will get 95% signal in the TV room, instead of the 40% ish signal it gets.

The iPod has no problem at all with WiFi. It connects and I can use the internet and it's really quite fast. but, regardless of if I'm using the iPod or not, the MacBook will NOT see the router at all, and I think it has to do with DD-WRT being on the router. Which means I need to get another router, because I'm not flashing that thing back to factory or putting Tomato on it.

’m‚³‚ñ;1035930449 said:
The iPod has no problem at all with WiFi. It connects and I can use the internet and it's really quite fast. but, regardless of if I'm using the iPod or not, the MacBook will NOT see the router at all, and I think it has to do with DD-WRT being on the router. Which means I need to get another router, because I'm not flashing that thing back to factory or putting Tomato on it.

Yeah I meant if the iPod is running while your computer is running. I've had trouble "activating" wifi on my dsl modem if nothing else is on the network. Sorry I can't be of any help, but you're not alone.

Oh, this router has been running for a good 2 years now... It's not new. :p

Last edited:
what do the syslogs show when trying to connect? Do they give any hint to the problem?

That's a Linksys router right? I've personally only ever had problems with Linksys routers, whether it be with my own MacBook Pro or any other random wifi-equiped machine. Random disconnects, or the wifi would stop working for whatever reason (while wired would continue working perfectly fine). I've tried messing with all kinds of settings, updated firmware, etc. Nothing worked. Went and got a D-Link router and never had a single problem since. I'd say just get a new router.

Works for me, thanks for your experience.

I'm gonna try finding a router with gigabit and the capability to put DD-WRT on it. I'm thinking Netgear.

We got a Netgear WNDR3700. I just set it up with the MacBook Pro using the 5ghz, and the iPod running off the 2.4 ghz, and all is well. :) I may try running DD-WRT on it later, but i like how it runs right now as is. Thanks for the advice!

Might not help you; but I'm using the same router with Tomato firmware and have never had WiFi issues.

I'm also running DD-WRT, and i have a weird issue. I can log in the with windows xp and it works good.
I can log in with my ipod touch and iphone and it works good. But when I turn of the iphone or ipod, and turn it back on, it joins the network automatically, but I get no internet from the connection. I have to do a forget network and enter the password again, and then it works properly. Also I cant connect to the wifi with windows 7, it connects but there is no internet. With windows xp there no problems whats so ever.

I'm also running DD-WRT, and i have a weird issue. I can log in the with windows xp and it works good.
I can log in with my ipod touch and iphone and it works good. But when I turn of the iphone or ipod, and turn it back on, it joins the network automatically, but I get no internet from the connection. I have to do a forget network and enter the password again, and then it works properly. Also I cant connect to the wifi with windows 7, it connects but there is no internet. With windows xp there no problems whats so ever.

Are they reconnecting with their previous IPs?

Back