Asus Maximus III Gene + 8GB Ripjaws+ Win 7 64= 4GB Usable Memory?

Vader

Supreme [H]ardness
I just added another 2 Dimms of G.Skill Ripjaws so I have a total of 4 x 2GB Sticks of DDR3 1600. After I installed the other two sticks, I booted the system and the POST only shows 4GB of memory. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit shows 8GB memory (4GB usable).

I did the following to address this and nothing has worked:

1. Updated to the latest BIOS.
2. Cleared CMOS via button and battery removal.
3. Enabled Memory Mapping.

I'm at a loss here. Any ideas? The Memory utility in the BIOS sees 8GB running in Single Channel mode and I run through the full memory test with no issues.

Thanks in advance.

Off hand I would increase Vdim to 1.60 and see what happens and then try 1.65 (max) and see. If 1.65 does the trick I would back off and think about it (or try 1.625 if available) as that is the max recommended for some iX's not sure about the 800 so it would bear some investigation.

Look up the specs (or use cpu-id to read the memory profiles) on the manuf web site and see what the voltage requirement is for high performance operation.

eh nevermind it appears all GSkill DDR3 1600 ripjaws are 1.65V stuff. I would still see if it will run stable a tad lower.

Stop setting up your stuff up based on Newegg advertising specifications. :p :D

Last edited:
Try increasing Vtt to 1.35v. If that doesn't work, loosen your CPU heatsink.

Tried the memory voltage..no go. Will try the VTT...CPU heatsink? Really?

There were some reports floating around and I know of one instance during a review that it was found that is you really crank down on the heatsink (in the case of the review it was a waterblock which allowed unlimited clamping force to be applied) you can do something to the pin to ball connection inside the socket to make memory go away. You want the HS pretty snug, no movement under a moderate twisting effort but not cranked down super tight.

Its a long shot but if you have a bolt down type HS its worth loosening the screws 1/2 turn or so and see what happens. I have heard of stranger stuff.

Has anything been found on this?

I just set up a new PC, with 2x4GB ripjaws, but see 8gb (4 usable) in win7. I have basically the same problem as the OP (aside from the # of sticks)

Has anything been found on this?

I just set up a new PC, with 2x4GB ripjaws, but see 8gb (4 usable) in win7. I have basically the same problem as the OP (aside from the # of sticks)

Did you try any of the suggestions in my post?

Did you try any of the suggestions in my post?
I rotated the ram, only to find out that I probably mis-inserted one of the chips (though how did Windows see it?)

I couldn't easily access the HSF, and it being the U12P, there's a bunch of screws to unfit.

So far it's showing 8gb, hope it remains that way.

Thanks anyways though! I appreciate it.

Back