Silverstone LC02 Clone (ebay deal) discussion

SJetski71

Fully [H]
I was initially going to post this in the [H]TPC deal thread but figured people would want to discuss it, so i started a new thread.

As the title implies, there's someone selling cloned Silverstone LC02 mini-itx cases on ebay for $35 shipped ($32.60 with Bing cashback), and there's a discussion thread about it at the AVS forums, pics and everything. It even comes with a silverstone labeled powersupply.

It's labeled "mini-itx" but an AVS forum member claims his silverstone can house full atx also (???). Better to research first before making any assumptions here, but at least MATX would be great imho. It also needs a slim laptop style dvd drive which the same seller happens to sell for an extra $14 if you buy it together with the case.

Edit: it even comes with a pci riser card!

AVS discussion: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1254417

Link to Ebay seller + $35 case: http://computers.shop.ebay.com/Comp....html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_ipg=&_ssn=danieledwin

Case + Slim DVD+-RW bundle deal $49 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Mini-ITX-Ca...0581788500?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Thoughts?

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
bought one. we'll see whats up
hehe, couldn't resist ey?

I'm seriously resisting this because i don't really need it but, but ...

Do you have a slim optical drive, or did you get the bundle deal?

hehe, couldn't resist ey?

I'm seriously resisting this because i don't really need it but, but ...

Do you have a slim optical drive, or did you get the bundle deal?
I didn't realize he only sold the drive as a combo. I was planning to buy the drive separate and ask him to combine shipping. that's what i get for impulse buying :). I do have an external, but with the number of PCs and dvd players i have around here, i can probably get by.

It was a dumb mistake though.

Don't need it either, but I've been semi-planning a bedroom htpc for years now. with a deal like this, i couldn't resist.

I didn't realize he only sold the drive as a combo. I was planning to buy the drive separate and ask him to combine shipping. that's what i get for impulse buying :). I do have an external, but with the number of PCs and dvd players i have around here, i can probably get by.

It was a dumb mistake though.

Don't need it either, but I've been semi-planning a bedroom htpc for years now. with a deal like this, i couldn't resist.
The easiest way would be to message him and see how the seller would like to proceed, with any luck you can tack on $14 and he'll include the drive. Or he'll cancel, allowing you to re-order the bundle.

Ya, a quality case + psu is one of the bigger costs of a new rig, $35 gets you off to a great start, or $49 with the optical drive bundle.

Just edited my original post because i just noticed it comes with a pci riser card (!)

Hmm.. just noticed it fits atx also, sweet, only problem, will a amd 939 cooler fit in the case?

Is there 2 different cases being discussed on AVS forum because the one they are saying suppoprts full ATX over there looks like this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HTPC-Computer-C...ps=63&clkid=7418649036577544632#ht_810wt_1030

If I got the case being discussed here, ventilation looks like it might be an issue. Also would I be able to install both a Video Card and a Sound card in this case? If so I think I am sold as long as ventilation would not suffer too much. :)

Is there 2 different cases being discussed on AVS forum because the one they are saying suppoprts full ATX over there looks like this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HTPC-Computer-C...ps=63&clkid=7418649036577544632#ht_810wt_1030

If I got the case being discussed here, ventilation looks like it might be an issue. Also would I be able to install both a Video Card and a Sound card in this case? If so I think I am sold as long as ventilation would not suffer too much. :)

Uh, if you had bothered to read the thread you'd have seen that this case is a clone of that case meaning that it's very similar to Silverstone's LC02.

Uh, if you had bothered to read the thread you'd have seen that this case is a clone of that case meaning that it's very similar to Silverstone's LC02.

I did read the thread, but it is not the same case at all. Less ventilation (almost 0 ventilation), and the front is completely different as well.

"Completely" different? Really? Jesus Christ, how about googling the LC02? :rolleyes:
http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-221-1.htm

Clearly it's a combo of the two revisions of the LC02 case which is why it's a clone of it.

Thanks for the link, no reason to be rude. I read the AVS thread and yes it appeared to be a different case (not really a clone) and yes I consider the entirely different front of the case enough to say it is not a clone. But I did not know there were 2 versions of the LC02.

Cooling is the my main concern with this case. That and trying to determine which motherboards will allow use of a video and sound card. Can anyone suggest such a MB with a CPU that won't get too hot?

Last edited:
Cooling is the my main concern with this case. That and trying to determine which motherboards will allow use of a video and sound card. Can anyone suggest such a MB with a CPU that won't get too hot?
The first 5 pages of this subforum are filled with appropriate (cooler running) suggestions, but going by your list of requirements and concerns i don't think this is the right case for you, so don't let the price tempt you if it's not "the right case". Getting it to work right for you may cost you extra ie; adapters/parts/extra fans etc etc.

On that note it's pretty obvious this case is not suitable for everyone, especially those who are concerned with cooling and want to use hotter running cpu's, separate video cards, pci cards, or multiple hard drives. But if you can work within this case's limited parameters then it's definitely a great deal.

Thanks for the link, no reason to be rude. I read the AVS thread and yes it appeared to be a different case (not really a clone) and yes I consider the entirely different front of the case enough to say it is not a clone. But I did not know there were 2 versions of the LC02.
How is judging your apparent lack of common sense "rude?" The thread is about a clone of a case, I easily googled said case and found that two versions of said Silverstone case exist (based on updated pics). Looking back at the cloned case it's readily apparent that they used both versions to make their clone. That was like a minute of my own time too.

It doesn't take fucking Batman to figure that out (even though he is the World's greatest detective)....

I'm sure 60mm fans (while not ideal) can be easily installed in this system to help aid in airflow. Justin, how about you post what system you're looking at getting and we'll tear it apart?

Last edited:
How is judging your apparent lack of common sense "rude?" The thread is about a clone of a case, I easily googled said case and found that two versions of said Silverstone case exist (based on updated pics). Looking back at the cloned case it's readily apparent that they used both versions to make their clone. That was like a minute of my own time too.

It doesn't take fucking Batman to figure that out (even though he is the World's greatest detective)....

I'm sure 60mm fans (while not ideal) can be easily installed in this system to help aid in airflow. Justin, how about you post what system you're looking at getting and we'll tear it apart?

I used the OP's links and from the pictures shown on AV forums discussion came to the conclusion that it was different case, I didn't feel the need to Google more info because they had posted the model number listed there. I was not aware that there would be different versions with the same model number, so yes it is a little confusing do to there being 2 cases with the same model number, one of which resembles the case being discussed here.

I don't have any parts laid out right now, my past experience with onboard video in media center have resulted in needing to turn off all the effects within media center itself. I'm happy with my 7600gs (its very flat card with a flat passive heatsink, not sure weather it is technically low profile or not) in there though, it seems to run everything fine. For now I would like to use my SB X-fi Gamer as well (PCI), because my receiver is older and does not have SPDIF or any other surround inputs other than one set of analog 5.1 RCA's.

Well, if I came off as rude, please excuse it. I tend to do things that seem perfectly normal to me which makes me expect others (and possibly "otters" too I guess) to do the same.

NV's and Ati's onboard stuff is more then enough for an HTPC. I get along just peachy with the 8200 IGP in mine. The sound card is a good point though for you.

I don't have any parts laid out right now, my past experience with onboard video in media center have resulted in needing to turn off all the effects within media center itself. I'm happy with my 7600gs (its very flat card with a flat passive heatsink, not sure weather it is technically low profile or not) in there though, it seems to run everything fine. For now I would like to use my SB X-fi Gamer as well (PCI), because my receiver is older and does not have SPDIF or any other surround inputs other than one set of analog 5.1 RCA's.
Almost positive that all current integrated sound can output 5.1 or 7.1 over analog/RCA unless there's another side to that story i'm missing here (?)

Also: i had thought that many of the newer IGP chipsets were more capable in regards to HD video than the 7600GS.

Though i can totally understand you wanting to go with a proven solution and sticking with your current soundcard + video card but it may not be the greatest fit in a lower profile, low ventilation case.

Almost positive that all current integrated sound can output 5.1 or 7.1 over analog/RCA unless there's another side to that story i'm missing here (?)

Also: i had thought that many of the newer IGP chipsets were more capable in regards to HD video than the 7600GS.

Though i can totally understand you wanting to go with a proven solution and sticking with your current soundcard + video card but it may not be the greatest fit in a lower profile, low ventilation case.

I dunno, might be true my on board video experience is limited to this C2D Dell when it comes to runing 3d, my WHS server has a much better onboard video but I have never really used to for much.. It could not even run win 7 media center with the effects turned on. As for the sound card most MB do come with on board 5.1, but the x-fi sounds much better. Since I'm not passing the sound through SPDIF or HDMI, I would prefer to use the X-fi to get better sound. Right now I have the X-fi in there because the dell also does not have any kind of surround sound only crappy stereo. I think the board has potential but would like the option of changing the video card, however I think in my case the PCI sound card is #1, and it looks like it would work for that.

Yeah, if you're passing audio over analog you'll want a decent sound card. It has a C2D in it? I'd suggest just replacing the mobo then with a 9000 series NV board.

Got my case in. It's definitely Silverstone quality. It's an officially branded 220W Silverstone PSU. It's probably got the best quality power button I have ever felt in my life....seriously.

It comes bare OEM wrapped in plain bubble wrap. No manual. But, I'm sure it won't be a problem to track down an LC-02 manual.

Mine did have the tiniest mark on the front bezel. Possibly from the corner of the DVD drive when the seller installed it. Paint didn't chip, just a small indentation. Disappointing, but understandable for the price.

The bundled Sony DVDRW drive is IDE which is disappointing, but understandable since it was only $15.

It comes with PCI risers. No PCIe.

It looks big enough to hold a mATX or even possibly ATX mobo. I'll have to investigate. mATX would sure open up some options.

Got my case in. It's definitely Silverstone quality. It's an officially branded 220W Silverstone PSU. It's probably got the best quality power button I have ever felt in my life....seriously.

It comes bare OEM wrapped in plain bubble wrap. No manual. But, I'm sure it won't be a problem to track down an LC-02 manual.

Mine did have the tiniest mark on the front bezel. Possibly from the corner of the DVD drive when the seller installed it. Paint didn't chip, just a small indentation. Disappointing, but understandable for the price.

The bundled Sony DVDRW drive is IDE which is disappointing, but understandable since it was only $15.

It comes with PCI risers. No PCIe.

It looks big enough to hold a mATX or even possibly ATX mobo. I'll have to investigate. mATX would sure open up some options.
Thanks for the feedback and extra info.

Personally i would have also preferred a sata dvd-rw drive but as you said for a $15 slim optical burner it's totally understandable. A rounded IDE cable ought to help if you have one laying around somewhere.

Oh yea, the optical drive, is it the normal 40pin IDE or is it one of those smaller sizes that require an adapter? And if so, did it come with an adapter? (TIA)

It's a full 40 pin. I am not sure how to use mine. It's nice, but I can't keep the temps down with an i3 and H55 solution. Possibly this is okay for an atom solution?

Jumped into this deal and got one of the cases that comes with the IR receiver. Anyone figure out how to setup the IR receiver?

big poppa, I don't think anybody has found working drivers for the IR yet. It's serial-based, not USB.

What config are you going for (CPU in particular)? I am still struggling with temps on mine.

I did get the DVD drive working (if you went for that version). I had to buy a 5$ IDE->SATA adaptor off ebay (I can post the link if you are interested) and it worked fine. Bit bulky, but less so than my previous solution (PCE IDE card).

My problem right now is CPU temps. I have 1 x 60mm fan and another 1 x 80 mm ( x 15mm) fan, both exhausting. The power supply in this case runs really hot and the fan exhausts right onto the CPU as far as I can tell. You'd think it would vent externally, but nope...

Overall, I'm not sure I'd buy another one. But then, for 50$ including the DVD drive and power supply you cannot really argue. I think for Atom this setup would be fine.

big poppa, I don't think anybody has found working drivers for the IR yet. It's serial-based, not USB.

What config are you going for (CPU in particular)? I am still struggling with temps on mine.

I did get the DVD drive working (if you went for that version). I had to buy a 5$ IDE->SATA adaptor off ebay (I can post the link if you are interested) and it worked fine. Bit bulky, but less so than my previous solution (PCE IDE card).

My problem right now is CPU temps. I have 1 x 60mm fan and another 1 x 80 mm ( x 15mm) fan, both exhausting. The power supply in this case runs really hot and the fan exhausts right onto the CPU as far as I can tell. You'd think it would vent externally, but nope...

Overall, I'm not sure I'd buy another one. But then, for 50$ including the DVD drive and power supply you cannot really argue. I think for Atom this setup would be fine.

Thanks, I figured out that it was a serial connection, but wanted to see if there are any existing drivers for it. Ah well, no big deal, would have been nice to have the IR integrated.

Look at my signature for the config. This is HOTSHOT! I haven't really bothered checking on the temps so far, but I might just do that later this weekend, just to make sure that its under control. Don't really care about a DVD drive for this setup since this is just a client and I stream all my movies and TV shows from my servers.

Any chance you'd be willing to open up the powersupply and reverse the fan to exhaust out of the case? This way you can turn one of the case fans into an intake fan.

If you're not willing to mod your PSU fan then perhaps consider reversing one of your case fans anyway and make it an intake.

Checked my temps last night. I am doing 30C idle and around 38C when watching movies/TV. So, all in all my temps are not bad at all. BTW...I do not have any additional fans in this case. I just keep my case in a well ventilated area.

fyi, since I don't think anybody has said it, i confirmed last night that a full ATX mobo does fit in this case just fine.

However, I don't have mine up and running since I don't have a spare mobo with integrated video, and I don't have any pci-e standoffs.

I have 1 x 60mm fan and another 1 x 80 mm ( x 15mm) fan, both exhausting. The power supply in this case runs really hot and the fan exhausts right onto the CPU as far as I can tell. You'd think it would vent externally, but nope...
It's possible that your sample is different than mine, but I find it highly unlikely that your PSU exhausts directly into the case.
A) I've never seen a PSU config that exhausts completely into a case
B) My power supply fan blows into the PSU. If you put your hand by the PSU fan, you will feel air moving, but that's just the negative pressure. You can tell by the temps; if you feel the exhaust grates, they will be significantly warmer than the grate by the PSU fan. That should tell you all you need to know.
C) Silverstone makes quality PSUs. I jammed a Q6600 into this little box and running OCCT the rails are rock solid stable, despite the fact that the PSU is only a 20 pin (!) and only has a 4 pin AUX connector.

Any chance you'd be willing to open up the powersupply and reverse the fan to exhaust out of the case? This way you can turn one of the case fans into an intake fan.

If you're not willing to mod your PSU fan then perhaps consider reversing one of your case fans anyway and make it an intake.
Right. If you have two exhaust fans, you're starving your system for air. You could probably blow both fans into the case, since the PSU will act as an exhaust. That's probably what I would recommend. If not, make the fan above the CPU an intake and the other fan an exhaust.

Bump.

The seller still has this case in stock, including the Slim DVD+-RW bundle.

How's everyone liking their case?

Bump.

The seller still has this case in stock, including the Slim DVD+-RW bundle.

How's everyone liking their case?
tough to control temps

I even added an 80mm intake fan above the CPU and a 60mm intake on the left side and a 60mm exhaust on the right side by the PSU.

My Athlon x4 still gets to about 58c at idle. I am still using the (bad version) stock heatsink, so I'm hoping I can find something better in that regard. I am also planning on undervolting and possibly underclocking.

Um, yeah. That's really the wrong kind of CPU to use in that case. Even in a roomy case my X4 gets really warm. Warm enough that it worries me at times.

Um, yeah. That's really the wrong kind of CPU to use in that case. Even in a roomy case my X4 gets really warm. Warm enough that it worries me at times.
apparently so. I figured at stock it would be fine. I've never had a CPU struggle at stock before.

I considered a low power x2, but i figured I could always underclock/undervolt. I plan to underclock to around 2.5ghz like the X4 910e, then undervolt as much as I can.

So I ordered this case a week ago and got it today. Super happy with it, except two things. The IR receiver and the Power LED. The IR can't be used with my motherboard (MSI 785GTM-E45) and the neither can the power LED. The connector is three pins wide, despite only having two wires to it.

I emailed the ebay seller to ask about these and he had no real answers, only telling me that it was originally a Telly MC 800 Which would explain the badging.

If anyone has figured either of these two things out, any help would be awesome.

So I ordered this case a week ago and got it today. Super happy with it, except two things. The IR receiver and the Power LED. The IR can't be used with my motherboard (MSI 785GTM-E45) and the neither can the power LED. The connector is three pins wide, despite only having two wires to it.

I emailed the ebay seller to ask about these and he had no real answers, only telling me that it was originally a Telly MC 800 Which would explain the badging.
"400GB of storage"!?!?! Amazing! :)

Just cut the LED connector apart. Try to keep the plastic together, then put the individual wires onto your motherboard's header.

The IR is a CIR header, as discussed above, iirc, and I didn't find any way to use it without resorting to a whole new mobo.

I think that's the same mobo I tried btw. I blew two of them though, and ended up with an ASUS 880G. Microcenter combo? If so, Microcenter sells Biostar's AMD motherboards, and some or all of Biostar's boards have the CIR header.

"400GB of storage"!?!?! Amazing! :)

Just cut the LED connector apart. Try to keep the plastic together, then put the individual wires onto your motherboard's header.

The IR is a CIR header, as discussed above, iirc, and I didn't find any way to use it without resorting to a whole new mobo.

I think that's the same mobo I tried btw. I blew two of them though, and ended up with an ASUS 880G. Microcenter combo? If so, Microcenter sells Biostar's AMD motherboards, and some or all of Biostar's boards have the CIR header.

Fry's combo from almost a year ago. I have an external USB IR reciever that works with my remote, so I plan to just use that for now.

This 785 board is pretty nice for what I use it for, but eventually I will move to the 880 and use this 785 for a small home server.

yeah, I think it's a good mobo, just might have some quality control issues. I blew one of them while running it with an X6 1055T which, in fairness, that mobo was never designed to run. That CPU is running in a Biostar 890GX now.

I blew another MSI though with an Athlon X4 635. That shouldn't have happened. That one got the ASUS 880G.

Back