5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition Running My 5x1 Portrait Setup (Videos)

suiken_2mieu

2[H]4U
So I built myself a 5x1 Portrait Monitor Setup. It's 5x1080p, and I decided to play Gamecube on it with dolphin. This is why you spend 2 Grand to Play Gamecube Games.

Important SPECS:
CPU: E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.0 GHz
RAM: 4 GB DDR2
MB: Asus P5Q Pro Turbo
Monitors: 5x Dell s2309w
GPU: HIS ATI HD Radeon 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition 2GB

Total Physical Resolution: 5400x1920
Virtual Resolution: 5642x1920 (Bezel Compensation on Middle 3 Monitors)
Logical Setup: 1080x1920 + 3482x1920 + 1080x1920

Yes, I own all the Games Shown, before someone ask.
And yes I have a crappy camera, I'm working on that. But for now, awesome concept is awesome. The FOV Increases in all these games, so it's not just stretched accross, which would suck.

BTW, You can play dolphin in Fulscreen Across your entire desktop, even if it's not in eyefinity (SLS Mode). Make a toggle shortcut to stretch a window across the whole desktop in Ultramon (or program like it), Load up a game in dolphin (make sure widescreen hack is enabled), go to fullscreen, then hit shortcut.

Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess - Eyefinity 5400x1920 (5x1080p)

Super Smash Bros. Meele - Eyefinity 5x1 5400x1920 (5x1080p)

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - Eyefinity 5x1 5400x1920 (5x1080p)

EDIT: Hey my 5 monitors and stands are for sale, send me a PM if interested. I'll trade all of them for a 30"

Last edited:
nice ass setup.. the SS bro's and sonic one looked the best in that setup..

Would love to see some RE4 or maybe Mario kart :)

Nice setup indeed bro

Maybe I'm naive, but if you're using 1920 x 1080 monitors and you're running them in portrait mode... then isn't that 5 x 1920p?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Soooo, yes?

5 montiors in eyefinity in portrait mode as above is 1920p

1920p is not a how to describe a portrait 1920*1080 monitor. 1920p would refer to a monitor that is 3413*1920 since that way of describing monitors is based off of a 16:9 ratio.
720p=1280*720
1080p=1920*1080

1920p is not a how to describe a portrait 1920*1080 monitor. 1920p would refer to a monitor that is 3413*1920 since that way of describing monitors is based off of a 16:9 ratio.
720p=1280*720
1080p=1920*1080

In 1080P, the 1080 denotes the vertical resolution and the P is Progressive,
so the above setup would be 1920P, doesn't matter if it is not 16:9 since you can have 480P as well and that isn't 16:9.

720p=1280*720
1080p=1920*1080

That makes no sense. If it's based on how many horizontal lines are drawn, then when you put a monitor in portrait mode you have 1920, not 1080. It's no long a 16:9, it's a 9:16.

At least that's what common sense would dictate.

So is 5x1 portrait native now in the catalyst drivers, or do we have to use SOFTH or something to get it working?

I'm putting together a Eyefinity system this week. So I'm just curious if I should purchase the extra 3 monitors now or wait.

Im not trying to bash on your setup or anything but I still don't see how this is better than a large single 1080 display. Im assuming those monitors cost around $1500. You could get a very large 1080p display that doesn't have bezels blocking a large amount of viewing real estate.

I have a 3x1 6048x1200 triple dell U2410 setup and I love it, however, I just can't stomach the bezels on a portrait setup...man it looks like your in freaking jail, that would irk me to no end, two bezels is bad enough for me!

Now that I see it in action. Hmm I'm not sure that going 5 monitors is worth it. Plus it makes reading the text pretty difficult, doesn't it? I like the setup but I think 3 monitors would be the most that I would need. I AM curious to see what a 3x3 setup would look like on the Eyefinity 12 5970 though.

Okay, Yes it's 1920p technically. I figured since I was using 5 1080p panels, it would be easier to communicate what I'm using. Because 1920p can be:

1080x1920
1200x1920
5400x1920
6000x1920
Anything x 1920

But yes, I like this setup a lot.

Im not trying to bash on your setup or anything but I still don't see how this is better than a large single 1080 display. Im assuming those monitors cost around $1500. You could get a very large 1080p display that doesn't have bezels blocking a large amount of viewing real estate.

Actually I only payed around $840 for all the displays. There's more resolution here, and I have a wider aspect ratio than 16:9 (Important for me as I get more FOV) Also I find I don't need AA as much in most games because I'm using more resolution to render the same area on the picture. I'd rather have 1920x1200 24" panels, but I did what a highschool student could afford.

Now that I see it in action. Hmm I'm not sure that going 5 monitors is worth it. Plus it makes reading the text pretty difficult, doesn't it? I like the setup but I think 3 monitors would be the most that I would need. I AM curious to see what a 3x3 setup would look like on the Eyefinity 12 5970 though.

Actually, Text is easily viewable, the use of Hydragrid is a must.

EDIT: These are TN Panels, so viewing angle is a punk. I'm thinking of doing a 180 with the monitors, so people can see from the right side of the setup.

Not to be a downer but If you played those games through emulation you must have obtained the original BIOS involved which is a violation of the DMCA and thus not within the bounds of being legal since it was a copy of the BIOS installed into a gamecube console which is the property of Nintendo ...

Thought you should know this.

Not to be a downer but If you played those games through emulation you must have obtained the original BIOS involved which is a violation of the DMCA and thus not within the bounds of being legal since it was a copy of the BIOS installed into a gamecube console which is the property of Nintendo ...

Thought you should know this.

You realize how hard it is to find gamecube goodies in good condition?

And by the looks of it, Dolphin doesnt use a bios.... (reminds me of Pj64)

...so... :p

You realize how hard it is to find gamecube goodies in good condition?

And by the looks of it, Dolphin doesnt use a bios.... (reminds me of Pj64)

...so... :p

How do I get games for Dolphin?
Dolphin can currently only run "images", also known as ISO or GCM files, of Gamecube and Wii games, since a PC DVD drive cannot read the discs directly.

To make a game image, the easiest method is to install Homebrew Channel and the Wii Disc Dumper on a Wii, and simply copy the game to your PC over the network. Information about how to do that can be found on Google.

Even without the BIOS requirement you would have to illegally modify your Wii (by installing software and violating the EULA set forth by Nintendo) in order to upload the disc into ISO form making it .. illegal and against the DMCA (since you aren't allowed to make direct copies of said game without direct permission from Nintendo). There are only 2 methods to obtain those ISOs , piracy or illegal modification (again according to the DMCA) of the Wii both of which we aren't allowed to talk about on this forum. I'm not trying to be a douche or anything but they ban people around here for that kind of thing and seeing as videos have been posted just offering a fair warning.

I think alot of the DMCA is open to interpretation and I don't agree with its strict use however I've seen people banned here over the years for less. :)

Last edited:
Have you got use to the bezel?
Yes actually, And for games I cant run in 5x1 Portrait, I simply rotate the left, middle, and right screens to make a 3x1Landscape view. I love how this setup is Flexible.

Even without the BIOS requirement you would have to illegally modify your Wii (by installing software and violating the EULA set forth by Nintendo) in order to upload the disc into ISO form making it .. illegal and against the DMCA (since you aren't allowed to make direct copies of said game without direct permission from Nintendo). There are only 2 methods to obtain those ISOs , piracy or illegal modification (again according to the DMCA) of the Wii both of which we aren't allowed to talk about on this forum. I'm not trying to be a douche or anything but they ban people around here for that kind of thing and seeing as videos have been posted just offering a fair warning.

I think alot of the DMCA is open to interpretation and I don't agree with its strict use however I've seen people banned here over the years for less. :)

I'm not sure about the legality of modifying a wii, I know there hasn't been any legal action against modders. The only legal action I've seen from nintendo as of late was against people selling pirated copies of games, and against people selling devices to circumvent the protection in DS games. I would like to point out that it is in fact LEGAL to make and use copies of games you already own. This has been down in the law book for a while now. EULA says that it isn't necessary to make copies, not that you cant make copies.

Also, you might want to reference the Gamecube, because if you haven't noticed, I only have played Gamecube games so far. Getting Gamecube games is as easy as popping in Phantasy Star Online, swapping the disc, and reading / copying the data over a network. I don't believe there was any modification needed.

Yes actually, And for games I cant run in 5x1 Portrait, I simply rotate the left, middle, and right screens to make a 3x1Landscape view. I love how this setup is Flexible.

I'm not sure about the legality of modifying a wii, I know there hasn't been any legal action against modders. The only legal action I've seen from nintendo as of late was against people selling pirated copies of games, and against people selling devices to circumvent the protection in DS games. I would like to point out that it is in fact LEGAL to make and use copies of games you already own. This has been down in the law book for a while now. EULA says that it isn't necessary to make copies, not that you cant make copies.

Also, you might want to reference the Gamecube, because if you haven't noticed, I only have played Gamecube games so far. Getting Gamecube games is as easy as popping in Phantasy Star Online, swapping the disc, and reading / copying the data over a network. I don't believe there was any modification needed.

The modification takes place on the Wii (not the gamecube , if your doing it with this method) through a homebrew channel , then said Gamecube game is dumped into ISO form across the network into your PC. I really doubt that Nintendo had intended that function or supports it. As far as copying games that you already own , if you read the DMCA is currently a legal gray zone , infact many companys that ran game copy software for PC games were shut down using this legal backing (because they bypassed copy protection software which one could make the case that the homebrew channel does) so what you state isn't fully accurate.

However I wasn't trying to begin an argument , I was simply alerting you to the fact that on this forum its not something that your generally open to discuss so I don't really have anything else that I wish to add. My personal feelings towards back ups is that I support the right to make back ups of games/movies you already own just to state that.

I'm amazed that your TN displays work so well in portrait. Do you have to angle the outside ones funny?

I'm amazed that your TN displays work so well in portrait. Do you have to angle the outside ones funny?

I do, these panels actually have a weird issue. When viewed from the bottom, then darken considerably, and when viewed from the top the brighten slightly. I've rotated them clockwise now so that I can see them without my head having to be in an exact position and I've turned the monitors in, and over lapped the bezels.

Since I just bought a 30", I'm thinking of selling the 5 and buying 2 more 30"rs.

Okay, I bought an apple 30". Need a 3rd one. Does anyone want to buy 1, some, or all of my 5? Or trade for a 30"?

Although it's awesome, I personally HATE bezels. For the price you paid for that setup, you could easily get a 1080P projector and be playing those games in excess of 100".

I'd rather have a huge ass picture than five small ones joined together with a piece of plastic between them. Just my preference though.

Although it's awesome, I personally HATE bezels. For the price you paid for that setup, you could easily get a 1080P projector and be playing those games in excess of 100".

I'd rather have a huge ass picture than five small ones joined together with a piece of plastic between them. Just my preference though.

Mine as well, actually. I don't like the fish-eye of surround gaming, the fact that only some recent games (and almost no older games) support it, and the gigantic performance hit for using such a huge resolution. It has a huge "wow factor" but for every day gaming forget it.

On the 19th, it will have been my 1 year anniversary of surround gaming. It seems longer than that, but that's just because I've updated my rig and monitor setups a crazy amount of times. I owe me getting into pc gaming to surround gaming. I would have still been a giant console fag if I never heard of the TH2Go. This concept is ultra immersive, not really cheap, but it was do able, even for me who still hasn't held a job ever.

Everyone always gripes about the bars (bezels) in the middle of the image, but your brain filters it out. Unless you're the type who stares are the wind shield wipers as they go across, I think you'll be okay. Sure you'll see them, if you're looking for them, it's because they're there. But once you sit down in front of a setup, actually get into the game, it's almost as if you have a really wide, giant screen in front of you.

The fish eye effect is the most retarded thing to gripe about. When tare you looking anywhere but the middle of your screen? The effect is there even on one screen. It's just more pronounced because you can see more. I don't see what wrong with seeing more. That's the whole point. It's too increase immersion with the use of getting a normal FOV (in terms of human site). Hell you know what's interesting, your own eyes have that effect. The only things is that your focus is where ever you're looking and the edges of your eyes are blurry. If you try to move your eyes so that you can see the distortion, that wont help, because it's still at the edge of your FOV.

Rant over.

Back