Set the Sith Afire

John_Keck

Limp Gawd
WickedLasers has unveiled the ‘Spyder III Pro Arctic Laser’ which just happens to look like a lightsaber. The cool part? It can set people’s flesh on fire. Geek tech item of the day, June 13th 2010.

1276446445qMdkBqdfjI_1_1.jpg

Warning: Extremely dangerous is an understatement to the power of 1W of laser power. It will blind permanently and instantly and set fire quickly to skin and other body parts, use with extreme caution and only when using the included eye protection.

This laser is powerful enough... to be controversial!
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1525095

Everywhere I read about it, people are commenting on how dangerous the thing is. I'm getting mine before the ban. :)

Its crazy to think that 0.1W blue lasers were one or two thousands dollars, last year. This thing is affordable enough to get into the hands of people who haven't put enough research into how truly dangerous this thing is. I wasn't informed when I ordered mine, clicking through the warnings on the way to the cart. I don't think this is irresponsible of Wicked Lasers, they've really pulled out all the stops to warn potential buyers before placing their order.

My only complaint, on behalf of Wicked Lasers, is they don't have eye protection on sale for this wavelength. They're including one pair of "shades" with the laser, but I need at least another two pairs. The lowest price I can find on eye protection for this wavelength, in the US, is $140.

In my correspondence with WL, they confirmed the eye protection will be for sale on the website in the future.

Who needs a tazer for protection when you can have this! Oh yeah, it's not exactly considered less than lethal when it can instantly blind someone.

I have the Spyder II and I can tell you it's a dangerous laser as well.. the thing can easily burn and blind you with no problems and of course catch stuff on fire...

I also have their Sonic Disruptor laser, but that's a different sort of beast, military and law enforcement use only..

what do I use them for? I play with my cats!! expensive cat toys for sure!

and of course I like to burn the occasional bug that wanders in... it;s fun to hit them and watch them run from the heat, and then watch them start to smoke.. ;)

I want this really bad, but I'm also terrified of it. I'll probably decide I want it after they are banned or something

The warning label should say something to the effect of "Careful with this laser, you must be, young padawan."
;)

Warning: Extremely dangerous is an understatement to the power of 1W of laser power. It will blind permanently and instantly and set fire quickly to skin and other body parts, use with extreme caution and only when using the included eye protection.

lol - then what the hell are you supposed to use it for, other than setting your friend on fire?

Think this thing would be powerful enough to light paper/wood/plastic on fire? I would worry about the high potential for completely untraceable arson with something like this... mount it on a tripod, get a telescope or some binoculars and you could burn someone's house down from a few blocks away.

I don't understand the "OMG it can strike people blind!!!" reaction. Can't existing off-the-shelf laser pointers already do that?

Shouldn't the "sets fleshy things ablaze" part be the worrisome part?

a 1W laser is a Class IV laser, this thing is EXTREMELY dangerous... even aiming it at a somewhat reflective surface can cause severe eye damage or permanent blindness... additionally the short wavelength has bad effects on human skin (similar to UV exposure) which can cause severe skin damage and burning (you do NOT want to get burned by any laser, it hurts like a mofo)

I kinda want one, just because it's so ridiculous. On the other hand, I can't understand why this is available. If it burns stuff, it can't really be used to mess with the cat can it? Is it designed for self defense? Just gotta hit a club up with a disco ball and let the chaos begin...

I'm not even sure this should have been on the front page. to many people know about it already. From the comments i've seen in this thread there are some really stupid people who are going to end up blinded.

this is not a toy AT ALL. use it indoors? everybody in the room better be wearing specialized eye protection or it'll be like you cast a "mass blindness" spell. permanently.

purchased one when I read all the people whining about how dangerous they are.

i predict you'll be one of the first to blind someone. maybe the first time you turn it on.

I don't understand the "OMG it can strike people blind!!!" reaction. Can't existing off-the-shelf laser pointers already do that?
Shouldn't the "sets fleshy things ablaze" part be the worrisome part?

people here have no idea how bright a 1w laser is. we are talking instant blindness by looking at the dot on wall.

I kinda want one, just because it's so ridiculous. On the other hand, I can't understand why this is available. If it burns stuff, it can't really be used to mess with the cat can it? Is it designed for self defense? Just gotta hit a club up with a disco ball and let the chaos begin...

there is no purpose for a person not doing science studies to have a laser this strong. you can't "play"

Great. Now there are going to be blind bird flying into my windows all day and confused looking squirrels everywhere.

Cool stuff. Of course this is nothing as far as industrial/research-grade lasers go. There are lasers out there that can melt a diamond.

I wonder if they make a coating for my glasses that protect against this frequency of light? The first time someone gets blinded by one of these, the lawsuits will be ugly. I can bet the FBI, etc. end up with a list of everyone who buys one of these.

sweet! i can use this for making tattoos!

made of cancer yes!

additionally safety goggles even coated for this wavelength will NOT help you from a direct hit from this much power... even an indirect hit or refracted light from this can cause permanent eye damage

these guys are going to ensure lasers get regulated to death :mad:

WickedLasers has unveiled the ‘Spyder III Pro Arctic Laser’ which just happens to look like a lightsaber. The cool part? It can set people’s flesh on fire. Geek tech item of the day, June 13th 2010.

1276446445qMdkBqdfjI_1_1.jpg

This kind of tech should actually help shady tree researchers come up with interesting stuff.

In particular I imagine there will be attempts to use this with home fusion reactors.

To illustrate that is idea is not too far fetched look here,

Home fusion kit...
http://brian-mcdermott.com/fusion_is_easy.htm

using high energy lasers for fusion
https://lasers.llnl.gov/

Yup and with all the retards out there they need to be.

Life is fatal. Your chances of getting hurt from a laser is so small that there is really no reason to pass legislation at this point. Until it becomes a real problem, chill.

Think this thing would be powerful enough to light paper/wood/plastic on fire? I would worry about the high potential for completely untraceable arson with something like this... mount it on a tripod, get a telescope or some binoculars and you could burn someone's house down from a few blocks away.

It's probably not powerful enough to be dangerous over very long distances. I'm sure it will have no problem burning a hole through a sheet of paper at point blank range, but over a distance of a few blocks its intensity will probably be reduced to something close to that of a common laser pointer.

It's probably not powerful enough to be dangerous over very long distances. I'm sure it will have no problem burning a hole through a sheet of paper at point blank range, but over a distance of a few blocks its intensity will probably be reduced to something close to that of a common laser pointer.

This is certainly true, but it can still be dangerous if used to try and blind a person.

Need? Nope. Want? Hell yes.

Ideas ideas ideas

The underlined part is why this is such a good thing. It can have the effect of inspiring people's imagination. People trying to find new and interesting uses for lasers is a good thing.

Damn, I just had the business end of mine pointed directly at my eyeball and was about to hit the "on" switch when I read this. I wouldn't have had the slightest idea this wasn't how the device is supposed to be used otherwise. Thanks for the warning. :p

Damn, I just had the business end of mine pointed directly at my eyeball and was about to hit the "on" switch when I read this. I wouldn't have had the slightest idea this wasn't how the device is supposed to be used otherwise. Thanks for the warning. :p

lolz

there is no purpose for a person not doing science studies to have a laser this strong. you can't "play"

Science is just playing. Maybe some measurements are taken and calculations are done, but that is just playing too. I have had as much fun doing a Millikan oil drop experiment as I have had playing video games.

Life is fatal. Your chances of getting hurt from a laser is so small that there is really no reason to pass legislation at this point. Until it becomes a real problem, chill.

So we should never be proactive about anything, EVER! Let's allow for dangerous items to be used by idiots freely until they becomes an epidemic! We can just tell everyone who did get blinded after that their chances were small, so we didn't pass legislation even though we knew of the issue.

Science is just playing. Maybe some measurements are taken and calculations are done, but that is just playing too. I have had as much fun doing a Millikan oil drop experiment as I have had playing video games.

I assume this is sarcasm? There's this little thing called the "scientific method" that seperates play from actual science ;).

So we should never be proactive about anything, EVER! Let's allow for dangerous items to be used by idiots freely until they becomes an epidemic! We can just tell everyone who did get blinded after that their chances were small, so we didn't pass legislation even though we knew of the issue.

Straw man, slippery slope and absurd rhetoric and red herring, there maybe some I missed. If you want to write something intelligent to support your position I would love to read it. The only thing interesting about your post is the amount of fallacies packed into so few words.

I assume this is sarcasm? There's this little thing called the "scientific method" that seperates play from actual science ;).

It is not sarcasm. And you have no point that I can see. Science is just the search for knowledge. The "scientific method" is something that is taught in high school science classes. Real science does not follow and such method. Theories are made and tested....pure play.

Please do not tell try to tell me how do study physics or do physics experiments and I will not tell you how to do whatever it is you do.

You read the part where even indirect light from this thing can blind you - that it can take up to 24 hours for the blindness to hit, that the included safety goggles protect from only a fraction of a second's direct exposure, that exposed skin will be radiation damaged before being physically burnt, thus causing possible cancer? This thing is going to be banned.

Tempting to purchase it since you know it will be banned but I can't think of any good reason to own one. When you read the safety precautions you realize you are basically only safe if you don't use it and no one else does for miles around you.

Back