A (poor) fix for missing portrait mode in CCC

noquarter

Gawd
I know a lot of people have this issue, where portrait mode is missing from CCC when 3 monitors are hooked up.

I was finally able to get the option to reappear by doing the following:

1) Uninstall the ATI Catalyst everything
2) Uninstall the Radeon driver via device manager
3) Run regedit and browse to this key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video
4) Find the entry that contains the Catalyst driver settings. Mine was {E7C9957F-42A3-4B9E-89D9-B3C1484057C3} keys \0000, \0001, etc
5) Delete the entire key. HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{E7C9957F-42A3-4B9E-89D9-B3C1484057C3} for me.
6) Reboot
7) Reinstall Catalyst drivers
8) Reboot
9) Don't blame me if this fucks up.

Unfortunately it's a pain in the ass process, but it worked. I actually hope I lose portrait again so I can narrow down the entry in that key that needs to be deleted and hopefully find a process that avoids reinstalling the drivers entirely.

If someone has the missing portrait problem you may want to try deleting 1 entry at a time till you find it. I suspect it's one of the EDID or configuration mode sounding entries.

um, why do all that? I had to disable my outer monitors, switch the center one to portrait, re-enable the outer 2, and then I was able to configure portrait mode.

um, why do all that? I had to disable my outer monitors, switch the center one to portrait, re-enable the outer 2, and then I was able to configure portrait mode.

Didn't work for me. I would get portrait back whenever I was at 2 monitors or less but the instant I enabled or plugged back in the 3rd monitor it would be lost, even if I had one set to portrait already. That was true on each of the 3 installs that I lost portrait mode, been a recurring problem for me.. (reinstalled win7 a few months ago then my hard drive died last month and had to reinstall again). The last time I lost portrait I even lost it when at 1 or 2 monitors, was gone entirely, so finally got fed up and deleted the registry entries.

Back