gotta say it -- iPhone4 fail this morning

collegeboy69us

Supreme [H]ardness
So I watched the live weblog... tried to keep an open mind since I've been rather happy with my iPhones the past few years.

With the HTC Evo out -- I think this whole iPhone4 thing is a big pile of fail. Yes it's new, slick, and has a cool display but thats literally about it. Nothing in the OS of the phone is that amazing.

I am at the perfect time to make the choice I'm out of contract with AT&T, and can go to whoever offers the best. Seems to be sprint is the major player now to anyone who like an open ended powerful solution in their pocket.

I've grown tired of the charges, the restrictions, and the lack of some of the most basic things via Apple. heading down to a sprint store here soon to check it all out. Hopefully will have one by the end of the week.

The face time looks interesting -- but Wifi only? ummm no thanks.

Thoughts?

I think you have to find whats right for you. I think the Evo is too huge to be a practical device. But I also have a Pre.

For an iPhone, this new device just continues on the standard for iPhones, but I agree that there is nothing truly trend-setting like the original was.

The only things they introduced that I care about and don't already have in better form being jailbroken are the new LCD (PPI is good, IPS is better) and the A4. I'm still not quite sure how much faster it actually is though compared to the existing Cortex in the 3GS…will have to do some reading.

Really for me it comes down to one simple thing though. No jailbreak, no buy. Were it not for that capability I wouldn't have ever considered an iPhone in the beginning.

Really wish they had increased the screen size a bit and cut out some of the wasted bezel space though.

don't get me wrong - i had the very first iphone and my 3G, it's been a good run. In terms of size, I'm actually looking forward to a device that's "bigger". There have been more than a few occasions when the iphone slips thru my fingers and hands when Trying to do something. I'm not some sort of giant, (6'1 210) but I would love to FEEL the device in my hands.

While I applaud apple for making the iphone ~30% thinner, I think that it will just piss me off in the long run.

The fact I can get unlimited data and text in one package without being nickel and dimed to death? That's worth a lot right there. I've been running jailbroken for years - of course I'll root the droid too :)

No jailbreak, no buy

Thats the truth, If it wasn't for cydia I don't think I'd use my (free from logmein) ipod touch for anything but a digital notepad.

The Cydgets are too cool, the Winterboard themes and so on.

new phone looks pretty good. Tough decision between an android device and this.

Go for the Evo...

Had an iPhone as well. Honestly, the phone is NOT as big as people say... well if you're a 5'2" girl it might seem huge. I actually prefer being able to feel the phone in my hand... smaller phones and I'm always worrying about it slipping etc.

Oh and you don't have to deal with AT&T anymore, which I never realized how shitty it was until I switched to Sprint of all carriers.... I actually get consistent reception at home

... the A4. I'm still not quite sure how much faster it actually is though compared to the existing Cortex in the 3GS…will have to do some reading.

The A4 is still a Cortex A-8 CPU under the hood. Apple just decided to brand their packaging (just like Snapdragon and the Droid's OMAP are both Cortex A-8). Even the 3GS has a Cortex A-8 - its just clocked lower. They will all perform within spitting distance of each other at the same clock speed.

The screen is interesting, but I lol'd at this: "IPS technology -- "Quite a bit better than OLED."". Sure it is Jobs, sure it is.

The screen is interesting, but I lol'd at this: "IPS technology -- "Quite a bit better than OLED."". Sure it is Jobs, sure it is.

Don't worry, the hype machine will make sure history is re-written as thus

don't get me wrong - i had the very first iphone and my 3G, it's been a good run. In terms of size, I'm actually looking forward to a device that's "bigger". There have been more than a few occasions when the iphone slips thru my fingers and hands when Trying to do something. I'm not some sort of giant, (6'1 210) but I would love to FEEL the device in my hands.

While I applaud apple for making the iphone ~30% thinner, I think that it will just piss me off in the long run.

Go for the Evo...

Had an iPhone as well. Honestly, the phone is NOT as big as people say... well if you're a 5'2" girl it might seem huge. I actually prefer being able to feel the phone in my hand... smaller phones and I'm always worrying about it slipping etc.

Huh... Here I was thinking the advent of touch screens has been bad for the pocket-ability of phones. If I'm going to carry a device around with me everywhere I go, I want it to be virtually unnoticeable when I slip it into my pocket.

I'm not a little guy either. I'm 6'3" and 190lbs.

I was hoping for a 64GB variant...

IPS screen with LED backlight.

64gb cell phone? Seriously, get an ipod classic 120gb if you need that much storage at once.

Apple doesn't care what others are doing and they shouldn't. They set the standard others much live up too. if not for the Iphone everyone would still be drooling over a Blackberry and thats a fact.

I don't care what other companies are doing. Its nice to see phone like the different HTC models but none of the will ever be able to compete with the mighty Apple and all their resources. Not to mention the App Store....

I was on the fence about the EVO, until I handled it. At first it seemed too large, but after a while it felt fine. I'm a big guy though, 6'4, 220.

Android with Sense looked a lot better to me than the iPhone OS and the display kicks the crap out of my Pre's lol.

Apple doesn't care what others are doing and they shouldn't. They set the standard others much live up too. if not for the Iphone everyone would still be drooling over a Blackberry and thats a fact.

It would seem you have confused "fact" with "opinion". What you just said? Yeah, that's an opinion, not a fact. An opinion I disagree with, actually.

I don't care what other companies are doing. Its nice to see phone like the different HTC models but none of the will ever be able to compete with the mighty Apple and all their resources. Not to mention the App Store....

That is a joke, right?

It would seem you have confused "fact" with "opinion". What you just said? Yeah, that's an opinion, not a fact. An opinion I disagree with, actually.

That is a joke, right?

I agree with his opinion, there was almost no wide spread adoption or push for advanced Mobile OS's out side its uses for the corporate world. After the iPhone came out there was a instant boom in innovation and competition thats not a coincidence either. Fact is the iPhone made smart phones popular for the masses where as no other phone did before it.

It looks ok for me but I will wait for the jailbreak and the other issues that will pop-up. Only thing sucks is I am not eligible for upgrade :( yet

I can't wait to upgrade my iPhone 3G for this new iPhone! It looks to be a big step up for me...video chatting alone is huge, although with the data plans out there now I doubt I'll be using this outside my Wifi range :)

I like some of the stuff about the Evo but man I just do not want to go back to the old Palm days where having a smartphone meant having a giant brick on me at all times. I'll take the slick form factor of the iPhone any day of the week. At the end of the day accessibility and form factor outweigh some of the hardcore features HTC is toting for the Evo. Also as for right now, what makes these phones for me are the apps I have access to, and for the next 2-3 years that is without a doubt the iPhone. I do think the Android platform will eventually open up and provide a better app selection and experience than Apple's closed platform, but until then I cannot justify trading in my iPhone for any other phone on the market. I think phones like the Evo or a lot of the other Android phones out there are great if you are not a heavy app user. Unfortunately my time with the iPhone has made me a heavy app user and for that I will go where the developers are.

I can't wait to upgrade my iPhone 3G for this new iPhone! It looks to be a big step up for me...video chatting alone is huge, although with the data plans out there now I doubt I'll be using this outside my Wifi range :)

I like some of the stuff about the Evo but man I just do not want to go back to the old Palm days where having a smartphone meant having a giant brick on me at all times. I'll take the slick form factor of the iPhone any day of the week. At the end of the day accessibility and form factor outweigh some of the hardcore features HTC is toting for the Evo. Also as for right now, what makes these phones for me are the apps I have access to, and for the next 2-3 years that is without a doubt the iPhone. I do think the Android platform will eventually open up and provide a better app selection and experience than Apple's closed platform, but until then I cannot justify trading in my iPhone for any other phone on the market. I think phones like the Evo or a lot of the other Android phones out there are great if you are not a heavy app user. Unfortunately my time with the iPhone has made me a heavy app user and for that I will go where the developers are.

And just what app do you need that Android doesn't?

And just what app do you need that Android doesn't?

I don't have an Iphone, but my gf does and I have to admit, there is a crap load of apps out there for it thats pretty useful. For example, theres fishing apps out there that maps out lakes. Displays depth and shows every channels, thats very useful for a fisherman like me. Theres also a bunch of cooking apps as well. Tons of games with decent graphics. Lots of science apps too. I am on a blackberry bold 9000 and touch pro 2. =(

If I go to andriod right now, would I also be able to download a shit load of bad ass apps?

The video calling is NOT a new feature, my old busted Nokia phone I bought in Hong Kong 7 years ago has the capability to do video calls. I love my Iphone but Apple is not innovating. Also can someone help me did they ONCE AGAIN not make a removable battery? Also did they forget to have the ability to delete those wonderful "apple produced apps"? I mean the internet is big and is mostly just people complaining about stuff, is Apple that closed off they do not fix the battery issue which is the number one complaint for years.

Huh... Here I was thinking the advent of touch screens has been bad for the pocket-ability of phones. If I'm going to carry a device around with me everywhere I go, I want it to be virtually unnoticeable when I slip it into my pocket.

I'm not a little guy either. I'm 6'3" and 190lbs.

I was hoping for a 64GB variant...

I have the EVO 4G and it fits in my shirt pocket completely. The phone looks huge because its all screen but its actually very close to the thickness of the iphone 4.

Nice to see I wasn't the only one that seemed to notice Jobs' little slam against OLED screens. No offense, Steve-o, but I'm immune to the RDF. Besides, if I had the choice, I'd take OLED anyday after having owned a Zune HD for a while. The colors are extraordinary when reproduced on that type of display.

Quadrupling the pixel count will prove to be effectively meaningless, in my opinion.

One big question: Will developers continue to produce apps for the iPhone at 320x480 resolution or will they have some ability to code at 960x640 now - if it's the original resolution then I suppose everything just gets bumped up.

At least now we can agree with Steve Jobs when he said "Even your old apps will look better" because now, thanks to the "magic" of pixel doubling (aka quadrupling), all your crappy low resolution stuff now gets even crappier thanks to a sharper resolution screen.

I don't see why they didn't just make it a full blown 3.75" display at 1024x768 and been done with it, matching the iPad across the board pixel for pixel... another 1/8" on each diagonal wouldn't have dramatically altered the device that much.

Oh well... I'm just not impressed, but to be perfectly honest, no iPhone has ever impressed me. They're useful, yes, I'll give Apple that much - I'm just sick of the "we're the best, deal with it" attitude because it's not, not by a very long shot.

I don't have an Iphone, but my gf does and I have to admit, there is a crap load of apps out there for it thats pretty useful. For example, theres fishing apps out there that maps out lakes. Displays depth and shows every channels, thats very useful for a fisherman like me. Theres also a bunch of cooking apps as well. Tons of games with decent graphics. Lots of science apps too. I am on a blackberry bold 9000 and touch pro 2. =(

If I go to andriod right now, would I also be able to download a shit load of bad ass apps?

Yes ! i just got the evo and the android market place is really cool and i spent couple hours going through all the apps. there is a ton! the thing that i don't like about apple products is that they are always a closed platform and they like to regulate and dictate what apps are in their stores and stuff. I just want a device i can do anything i want on it.

I have loved my Iphone for about 75-80% of my ownership time, when it wasn't going into restart loops and dropping calls. Overall though, Iphone 4 is a dud and I cant wait to get my hands on an EVO. The end of my contract with AT&T cant come soon enough.

Fact is the iPhone made smart phones popular for the masses where as no other phone did before it.

Ehhh, yes and no. If you consider the iPhone to be a smart phone, then yes. But if you look at what the iPhone was when it came out (and, to some extent, even up until today), it greatly lowered the bar to what we call a "smart phone". Look at the popular phones of 2007 that shawnoen posted (which is really just popular smart phones, not popular phones - but lets roll with it), 3 years later the iPhone STILL comes up short of the feature set of those phones. And when it launched? It was by far the dumbest "smart phone" ever. Hell, J2ME and BREW both gave the iPhone a run for its money as far as being smart went.

So as far as I'm concerned the iPhone when it launched was absolutely not a smart phone. The only feature it had that got it labeled as a smart phone was a great browser. That's great and all, but a good browser doesn't make up for the fact that compared to smart phones its feature set *SUCKED*. It did 1 thing better (browse the web), and it pretty much sucked or couldn't do everything else a smart phone can do. Hell, remove the web browser from the iPhone and phones like the Moto Razr packed more of a punch than the iPhone.

I still find it funny (and I pointed this out in another thread) that of all the stuff Jobs talked about in the presentation, he never actually talked about the phone. It was all "Look at this, great, look at that, amazing, etc etc" and I was still wondering "Ok, so, does it work any better as an actual phone yet?"

Let's face it: the focus by every manufacturer out there for the past decade has been to keep adding features on top of features on top of... well, you get the point. But the most amazing great insanely awesome statistic of all:

Cell phones still suck at the one thing they are supposed to do above and beyond everything else, and that's actually making phone calls.

Ok, Apple, you've given people exactly what you want them to have and not what they actually want, how about making a cell phone that works? Don't blame the networks, the carriers, etc. The phones themselves are half the equation...

What other advanced smartphone with a touchscreen for personal and business use all in one was there before the iphone?

It took nearly a year after the 1st iphone was dropped before anyone else even had anything close to market....

Hottest cellphones in 2007....

blah blah blah

LMAO, you are delusional. I wholeheartedly suggest you step away from the apple pipe you have been smoking for the last few years and actually try to be even somewhat objective. :rolleyes:

I will not disagree with you about the iphone being at the forefront of the smart phone revolution but lets not get too ahead of ourselves here. You talk about it like its godly but I remember thinking how funny it was that people were spending all that money on the 2g iphone only to not be able to send basic mms's or take advantage of a high speed network (both of which I was doing the previous year on verizon). The point about the iphone being revolutionary in 2007 is really moot in 2010 when its now playing catchup to the infant Android OS.

With the recent revision of Froyo my 7 month old Moto Droid is doing things that the iphone 3gs soon to be released 4g wish they could do.:eek:

IPS screen with LED backlight.

64gb cell phone? Seriously, get an ipod classic 120gb if you need that much storage at once.

This has nothing to do with the iPhone 4. Ah yes the almighty Apple. http://imgur.com/q79oD

I don't use any Apple products, other than an Iphone and ipods. And far from a fanboy.

Its just exactly what I want. I used to think to myself that wouldn't it be sweet if someone made a phone the same size as my ipod. Next thing you know, boom. There it is!

I do like HTC phones but nothing compares to what Apple brings as far as the total package goes, app store included. Easy of use, the modding community, everything.

I bought my wife an Nokia E71 a couple years ago with the Symbian S60 OS. Good lord, just trying to find info to add Garmin Mobile to the phone was a PITA. Scattered info all over the place. And random sites with different oddball apps and themes.

I remember when the G1 was going to beat the iPhone. The MyTouch? The Droid? The Nexus One? The Incredible? The EVO?

In two months the EVO will be old news and people will be gushing about the next Android that's going to "kill the iPhone", and in 4 months it'll be forgotten and replaced by yet another Android handset sent from the heavens to set us free....

shawnoen said:
I don't use any Apple products, other than an Iphone and ipods. And far from a fanboy.

LOL, contradict much?

shawnoen said:
I do like HTC phones but nothing compares to what Apple brings as far as the total package goes, app store included. Easy of use, the modding community, everything.

Apple makes a slick phone and its pretty aesthetically pleasing but to say that it has a better modding community is nothing more than your opinion and I completely disagree. Im not really sure how you can even compare Apples modding community to that of Androids. Google has f'ing engineers work directly with modders to get stuff done. Its all about being an open platform and as long as apple stays closed it will never touch the Android modding community.

shawnoen said:
I remember when the G1 was going to beat the iPhone. The MyTouch? The Droid? The Nexus One? The Incredible? The EVO?
I never bough into the hype of the mythical "iphone killer". It is NOT the end all be all of smart phones. Like I said earlier, my Droid is doing things that iphone children were wishing they could do and will still be wishing they can do next month when they are playing with their iphone 4

shawnoen said:
In two months the EVO will be old news and people will be gushing about the next Android that's going to "kill the iPhone", and in 4 months it'll be forgotten and replaced by yet another Android handset sent from the heavens to set us free....

There you go being all delusional again. Apple is no longer ahead of the curve, get that through your head. In 6 months, Android and the hardware it runs on will be further matured while Apple will still be talking about how magical their ipad is.

^ Darth is correct.

And lol@apple having a better modding community. Do you see iPhone's with custom firmware like CyanogenMod for android? :rolleyes:

iPhone is a great product if you just want things at face value. I love my Droid because I can custom it the way I want. I can remove useless crappy apps that I don't want. Oh and with the upcoming iAds, my droid can AdBlock, can your iPhone do that? :D

the modding community

wat

Apple's become like the "new" Porsche. Porsche, way back in the day, made the most killer sports cars. The only people who bought em back then, were die-hard car enthusiasts with the money to spend on them, and Porsche actually meant performance on the track. Now? A status symbol, bought by those who want to look good more than have a great car that does what it was meant to do. Then again, to no surprise, that's why Porsche and Apple bot have the highest profit margins in their industries

I think you have to find whats right for you. I think the Evo is too huge to be a practical device. But I also have a Pre.

Well I've been using an evo for the last few days and all I can say is that I can't imagine ever going back to a smaller screen. At first I does seem large but then you get so spoiled having so much real estate when browsing. Now I can't imagine ever going back to anything else. It's sorta like when I bought a 30 inch pc lcd a few years back. At first it seemed like total overkill but then you adjust and after a while every other monitor feels so downright puny and inadequate.

Well I've been using an evo for the last few days and all I can say is that I can't imagine ever going back to a smaller screen. At first I does seem large but then you get so spoiled having so much real estate when browsing. Now I can't imagine ever going back to anything else. It's sorta like when I bought a 30 inch pc lcd a few years back. At first it seemed like total overkill but then you adjust and after a while every other monitor feels so downright puny and inadequate.

My thoughts exactly. When I got in the store and saw the thing, I thought: Holy Cow, this thing is large!

Now I can't ever imagine going back. And I was one of the 30" guys too way back in 2006... so glad to have gone with it. No way can I go back

I just got back from visiting my local sprint store. I am sooo envious of you guys and your EVO. I thought the screen would be too big too but after playing with it for a solid 25 minutes I can honestly say its the nicest screen on a cell phone I have ever handled. I am keep the droid till something with a 4.3" screen comes out on VZW. And when it does, I am dropping the droid like its hot!

the modding community

lmaoze.jpg

Wait, you're serious?!

I read Engadget's coverage minute by minute of the press conference because I literally switched over from AT&T (iPhone 3GS) to Sprint on Friday (for Evo and much better plans)... and I wanted to see what the new iPhone was going to be like, and I have to say after being a long time iPhone user, I am thoroughly impressed with the Android OS and the fact that the "new" features of the new iPhone I can already do on my Evo just fine. There are just a few things I miss about my iPhone but not enough for me to think twice about. I remember seeing the pie chart of market coverage now between OSes and seeing Rim at 35%, followed by iPhone at 28%, Windows at 19%, and Android at 9%. And I keep thinking to myself that the first phone to have a Android OS came out in October of 2008 and now look at how many devices are using it. In my opinion, Android has grown incredibly fast and with the 2.2 update coming out soon that's basically going to make my device run 5x better... it just keeps getting better and better.

I also predict that given enough time, more and more developers will come to the Android market to make apps and games for. I do miss playing great games on my iPhone but I foresee that those will come eventually to Android. Developers would have to be stupid not to want to make apps for Android. Just look at how many carriers have Android phones... all of them i'm pretty sure. And only AT&T has iPhone, so the amount of money to be made by making apps for Android could be huge given some more time for Android to mature. I'm still getting used to using the Android phone but all i see in it's future is going up and up... it's remarkable how much it has improved in the short time it's been out. My only complaint with it is the fragmentation of the OS through the carriers not releasing updates in a timely manner. It was nice on the iPhone getting one universal update because all the phones were essentially the same as opposed to Android where you have many different configurations. However, I have read that after 2.3 Google will start releasing updates only on a yearly basis so that way we will all be caught up hopefully and more developers will flock to the Android OS.

P.S. The Evo is amazing. lol

Back