Recommend an SFF case for Crossfire 5870

Mr. Wolf

Supreme [H]ardness
I can't seem to get my DA Box 100 to properly hold all the guts of my build now that I added a second 5870 for Crossfire. I've tried 3 different arrangements, but can't get the case closed. Any recommendations for a good SFF case for Crossfire? I really like the Silverstone SG03 and SG04 but it looks like they can't take dual video cards longer than 10.5" (5870 is over 11").

This is my PC looks now...

IMG_1123.jpg

I think u need to do some cable management or cable shortening. What seems to be in the way?
It's very hard to tell from your pic. Personally, I prefer v351 if you are looking for a new case.the one on mdpc looks awesome.

I can't help you as far as other SFF cases are concerned, but I wanted you to know that you are not alone in the Da Box 100 vs. 5870 Crossfire battle. I too am struggling with the very same problem you now face. Cable management is a PITA with this case. Had I not ordered the short cable kit for my Silverstone PSU there's no way I could fit it all in. It's hard even with the short cable kit. I came very close to putting the case up for sale last night, but I'm determined to make it work. Hang in there. ;)

Lian-li PC-V351

I'd also recommend a corsair H50 CPU cooler to go with it.

It has a newer brother:

PC-V352

But will likely cost a bit more but has external USB3 cabable ports and nicer fan placement if any motherboard supports that atm.

That V351 looks pretty good. I also like the Lian Li PC-A03 and Thermaltake Lanbox VF1000BWS but they're hard to find since being discontinued. The Coolermaster 341 seems pretty nice... and cheap! ;)

Last edited:
I have the lanbox lite, you would struggle to get a 5870 crossfire setup in it comfortably IMO.

The V351 is a good case for such a high end setup but would really shine with an H50 which with some zip ties you can mount on the front:

31843_1396022653315_1014680106_1869934_1676469_n.jpg

(Image from Irontiger - futuremark forums)

The other fan will feed the graphics cards directly.

Looks a helluva lot nicer than mine! Is the H50 a much better cooler than my Noctua? One thing's for sure, it's smaller which is nice.

You sure the V351 can handle two 5870s in CF? I'm on the verge of buying one.

Last edited:
A bigger case would make for easier wiring so a P180 mini would be your best bet. I think you should be able clean up the wiring and make everything fit in your current case though.

I've cleaned up the wiring and cables 3 times and still haven't been able to close the case. The pic is how it looks now after I got tired of working on it and just plugged in everything so it operates properly, at least. :p

you need the PP05 short set on the ST75F-P, that will certainly help. I run the ST1000-P, and dual 5850s with an H50, optical, and two SSDs... there's no reason for that cable nightmare unless you don't have the PP05 set.

you need the PP05 short set on the ST75F-P, that will certainly help. I run the ST1000-P, and dual 5850s with an H50, optical, and two SSDs... there's no reason for that cable nightmare unless you don't have the PP05 set.

Yes, what he said. Still though, don't expect miracles.

QMicra V2 is what you want and need for crossfire HD5870. Hands down the best matx case IMHO.

I'll give that PP05 a shot. The QMicra V2 is really nice, but I'm not in a mood to drop $250+ on a new case right now. If I can't make my DA Box work, I'll sell it and go for a mini-tower like the SG03, SG04 or Coolermaster 341.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'll give that PP05 a shot. The QMicra V2 is really nice, but I'm not in a mood to drop $250+ on a new case right now. If I can't make my DA Box work, I'll sell it and go for a mini-tower like the SG03, SG04 or Coolermaster 341.

refurbs are a bit cheaper. I have a refurb and its as good as new.

http://hivelogix.com/cases/case-qmicra

if you are on the cheap the coolermaster is probably your best bet though.

If your "Da Box" has the updated faceplate (full 5.25" drive opening) let me know if you decide to sell it.

Shane

Don't go with the SG03 or SG04, if you do DEFINITELY use the PP05. I had one with just one video card and it got real cramped real fast. They also get extremely hot so CF might be a bad idea on that case anyway.

I just ordered one of the Qmicra V2 refurb cases that PClark99 suggested. It looks like it's got plenty of room for a Crossfire setup. :)

I just ordered one of the Qmicra V2 refurb cases that PClark99 suggested. It looks like it's got plenty of room for a Crossfire setup. :)

congrats, you won't be sorry, I have two of the first revision V2 cases, an old original V1 case and one of their new mitx cases. They are total quality...

Nice work. Looks like a tight fit for your 5870s. One of mine is a XXX that's almost an inch longer than the standard version. Why do you have two Crossfire bridges on your cards?

Back