ASUS 5850 - Can't adjust voltage in MSI Afterburner

It is the newer CU version if it matters:

ASUS EAH5850 DirectCU TOP/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro)

I've tried the suggested fixes.

I ticked the boxes in settings to allow/monitor voltage control.
I edited the cfg file to change EnableUnofficialOverclocking from 0 to 1.

I can change the voltage with ASUS Smart Doctor, but that program is pathetic. However, that is the only option that I can find at the moment.

Changing voltage in Smart Doctor and then changing clock/memory settings in Afterburner does work, but it is a kludge and I'd rather do it all in Afterburner.

Any suggestions?

Afterburner might not have support for that specific voltage chip, since that design isn't reference. You can either keep doing it as you're currently doing, or you can go to the Guru3D forums and find the Afterburner section. The author(Unwinder) post there often and you can ask if he has any plans to add support for that card.

as far as i know the new version of afterburner has a spot where you have to turn it on. voltage tweeking is turned off by default.check out the settings.

I just asked the same thing yesterday on the Guru 3D forum, see post #40. I don't have my card yet, so maybe you can post your results in my place:

forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=305908&page=2

Dunno if this will help but I had a problem with CCC conflicting with Afterburner. I uninstalled CCC and everything worked in AB.

Hey guys, Unwinder has confirmed that you can enable voltage control in AB with this card, here is his quote:

Yep, there is uP6208 on bus 6 device 46h indeed. To enable this VRM detection on your hardware add the following text to your hardware profile file
(.\Profiles\ VEN_1002&DEV_6899&SUBSYS_034E1043&REV_00&BUS_1&DEV _0&FN_0.cfg):

[Settings]
uP6208_Detection = 1

I can confirm that this works, but it still needs some adjustments.

While you can change the voltage, you can only change it by +100mv (the bar goes from -100 to +100, it doesn't allow you to set a specific voltage, only a relative one from the 1.181 base). That means you are limited to 1.281 max voltage.

While that is probably fine for most folks, many will be wanting to set it to 1.3+ for maximum overclocks.

At 1.281V, my card maxes out at 900/1165.

With SmartDoctor, I can run it up to 960/1200 by applying additional voltage (I forget the exact number, I was just watching temps and stopped when they hit 85C).

In any case, it is awesome that this is working in Afterburner now, even if it isn't perfect yet. At 900/1165, my fan maxes out at 50% and is inaudible. This card is really amazing.

Bumping an old post because the problem has returned.

I recently reinstalled Windows 7/64 on a new drive and downloaded the latest version of Afterburner (2.1.0)

I did the same fixes I did before (changed UnofficialOverclock to 1 and adding the uP6208_Detection = 1) but I am unable to adjust the voltage like I used to.

The card is the ASUS 5850 DirectCU

I'm using the latest 11.2 Catalyst drivers if that matters.

Any suggestion appreciated.

After extensive Google searches, I finally found the solution.

In addition to the above, you must add the following to the .cfg file in the profile directory.

VDDC_uP6208_Detection = 46H

I once again have access to adjust my Core Voltage!

I am curious to know what other ASUS owners are using for their cards.

MSI Afterburner limits you to +100mv above stock which many cards, including my own, can safely exceed. ASUS SmartDoctor works to raise the voltage higher, but that program is a piece of crap in comparison to Afterburner and it is clunky to have to use two separate programs.

just uninstall smartdoctor after you unlock the limits.

I've tried that and it does not affect the range of voltage control that AB gives. If I remember right, Unwinder said that that was not going to change either....the way I look at it, my oc of 900MHz is pretty reasonable, and getting 950 or higher won't get me that much more fps versus the added heat and stress to the card so I'm happy to just stay with AB.

Bumping an old thread... I'm running into this problem too, but the Graphics Card that is being recognized is "AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series" My Card is an ASUS EAH5850 1GB as well...

SmartDoctor won't work. MSI won't work. Trixx won't work. I'm thinking because it's not grabbing the name of the card.... I just installed the most updated drivers and it's still the same in device manager.

Any ideas on what to do?

Last edited:
Do as suggested earlier, message Unwinder on Guru3D.
The guy takes no prisoners though so be very clear what the issue is without embellishing.

Back