Seasonic M12II-620 Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Seasonic M12II-620 Power Supply Review - Seasonic is back with an old favorite aiming to make it better for the end user by giving you now Bronze level 80 Plus certification. Our tests are more harsh than 80 Plus' tests, so let's see how exactly Seasonic's new M12II 620 watt PSU takes to our more stringent testing conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the review! I gotta comment since it's a Seasonic unit doing right. The model is definitely getting a little bit older. Hopefully they update it soon and bring it a little closer to the X series

Thanks for the review! I gotta comment since it's a Seasonic unit doing right. The model is definitely getting a little bit older. Hopefully they update it soon and bring it a little closer to the X series

Probably not going to happen at that price other wise why not just get the 650 x series? I bought this psu a few weeks ago its a nice little unit. Very heavy too.

One thing worth noting is that if this psu is on the bottom of your case all the connectors are upside down, I guess that should be the same with all power supplies.

Maybe it's supposed to work like a quasar...?

h_accretion_disk_02.jpg

When i build PC's for customers i always take the safe bet and put Seasonic's in it unless requested otherwise. Now if i could only get one for my own cheap ass :D

Probably not going to happen at that price other wise why not just get the 650 x series? I bought this psu a few weeks ago its a nice little unit. Very heavy too.

One thing worth noting is that if this psu is on the bottom of your case all the connectors are upside down, I guess that should be the same with all power supplies.

Oh I bought the X750 last week and installed it yesterday (see sig). Since it's a good design I just hoped it would make it into more midrange eventually. Definitely not saying this is a bad PSU of course.

Pretty nice overall. Shame about the voltage stability, the 12v rail on the S12II 520w that JG tested started out higher and dipped a lot less. This specific platform has probably been pushed as far as it can go. The ripple suppression, however, is right up there with the elite high-end units.

Style wise, I have to say, I like classy light gray label from the non-modular version better than the bright yellow label on this one.

Also interesting to note on the age, is that the add-in PCB that provides the output protections is silk screened with a production date from 2005 (this doesn't mean that much as the actual way these are implemented has not changed since then it is just odd that such old stock is still on hand).

Maybe it's just the date the add-in board layout is designed. Since the new platform use the very same HY-510N supervisor chip like the older ones and doesn't provide any more protection features, there isn't a need to re-layout or revise the silkscreen layer.

Is the only diffrence beetween S and M version in modular cables?

And actually is there anything better at that price range?

Is the only diffrence beetween S and M version in modular cables?

And actually is there anything better at that price range?

Nothing that we have reviewed that is currently available. Plenty of stuff we haven't had come in, but without seeing it there is no way to really honestly say if it is better or not.

Also interesting to note on the age, is that the add-in PCB that provides the output protections is silk screened with a production date from 2005 (this doesn't mean that much as the actual way these are implemented has not changed since then it is just odd that such old stock is still on hand).

The date of manufacture is not silk screened into a circuit card. Date of manufacture is (if on the card at all) ink stamped onto the board or on a label affixed on the board.

The date of manufacture is not silk screened into a circuit card. Date of manufacture is (if on the card at all) ink stamped onto the board or on a label affixed on the board.

Silk screened on a PCB or inked on a PCB. It's 6 one way half a dozen the other. Thanks for...errrr...that.

Silk screened on a PCB or inked on a PCB. It's 6 one way half a dozen the other. Thanks for...errrr...that.

The silk screening (component layout and other information) is part of the artwork for the board and part of a bare board. None of the artwork for a board is updated unless there is a revision to the board. It really is different than a rubber stamp or label that's put on a finished board.

Last edited:
The silk screening (component layout and other information) is part of the artwork for the board and part of a bare board. None of the artwork for a board is updated unless there is a revision to the board. It really is different than a rubber stamp or label that's put on a finished board.

But it is inked at the time of production not silk screened ;)

Seriously, this pissing contest you want to engage in isn't important as this particular design has not changed in the last couple of years so the date is nothing more than a curiosity. BTW there are newer dated ones out there.

Kinda late but Im eyeballing the S12 II 620 right now as its $70 on Newegg. Cant find any reviews on it so I was wondering if the S12 and M12 are the same thing, just the M being modular. Or is the S12 a newer design? It probably doesnt really matter. Cant go wrong with a SeaSonic power supply no matter what the model number is I reckon. ;)

Kinda late but Im eyeballing the S12 II 620 right now as its $70 on Newegg. Cant find any reviews on it so I was wondering if the S12 and M12 are the same thing, just the M being modular.
Correct.

I recently got the non-modular S12 II 520W, which I assume is related to this 620. JohnyGuru's review of the 520 was pretty favorable, despite the group design. I like the part where he shows that it's still efficient at low load levels. The 520 is dead-quiet at 120W load ... I may have over-bought yet again, lol.

Hi I'm looking for a new power supply to buy at the end of the month and this is one of my top choices but I get a 404 page after the second page. I'd really like to read the review of this power supply especially since it has free shipping on newegg right now

Hey guys thanks a bunch for doing this review. I'm interested in the M12II-520 which is one model below this but I found out about a kind of resonance noise. Apparently the noise happens because of the clear plastic film that is covering part of the power supply fan.

1.) Have you guys experienced this resonance noise?
2.) Has anyone experimented with removing the plastic baffle?

Here is a video I found on YouTube with an audio sample of the resonance noise. There is also a link in the video to a Czech forum where they discuss the problem in detail. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaNz0-o0cTw

I'm looking for a really quiet PSU so thanks [H] I appreciate your help.

Back