Cooler Master ATCS 840 Negative Air Flow Problem

lifanus

Gawd
Just got a cooler master atcs 840, beautiful case, large inner space, however the major problem is that the air flow is seriously crippled with stock fan setup. (1 intake at front, 2 exhaust on top, 1 exhaust behind, plus PSU and graphic card exhaust.) There is a significant amount of negative air pressure inside the case with this setup. When you put your hand at the exhaust, you can't feel no air coming out of there! What's worse, the case creates a wobble noise from the air tries to coming in from all the little holes on the case! That's very no good.

caseuj.jpg

In my case, there is a i7 930 on stock HSF and radeon 4870 inside the case, 2 major heat producer. Plus a silverstone 1200w PSU that gets pretty warm.

Real Temp display cpu temp idle @ 44 C. Degree, Graphic card @ 53 C. Degree.
Did a sensor test in Real Temp. Full load cpu temp @ 80 C. (this is with stock setup/negative pressure inside the case).

beforede.jpg

Installed 1 additional 0.36A 120mm fan at bottom trying to suck more air from the bottom of the case, temp did not improve at all and still, when you put hands near any exhaust fans, even the graphic card exhaust, not much air is coming out :(

To test if changing to a positive air flow would solve the high temp problem with stock setup, I decided to flip the top 2 exhaust fans and make them intake fans.

... 5 min later, now the exhaust fans on PSU, graphic card and the rear all have a very good amount of air coming out! That's a good sign!

To prove my theory that a positive air flow is probably better than a very negative air flow, I reopened real temp, and did the stress test again.
CPU idle @ 38 C. Degree, graphic card @ 46 C. Degree idle
Run sensor test in Real Temp, Full load cpu temp @ 75 C. degree with modified air flow and a positive pressure inside case.

afterlr.jpg

So there you go, for anyone that have the same case and wondering why your cpu temp is so high at idle with so many big fans blowing, the problem lies within the stock setup and the negative air pressure. Simply change air flow direction on top 2 exhaust fans will quickly fix your problem.

I'm going to the store tomorrow and picking up some good quality mesh that I'm gonna convert into filters and stuff it on top 230mm fans since they are now also intake, to prevent dust from getting sucked in :p

Glad this came up, as i don't have that case i plan to mod one soon. Now i can figure out fan/vent placement.
+1 for taking the time to sort this out.

Back