StarCraft 2 (and others) cause system hang

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - so I originally had Vista x64 on my machine (specs in sig) and every once and a while, the system would hang. There would be no artifacting, simply the loaded sound would loop a few times, go silent, then all I could do was move the mouse. The three fingered salute and alt+tab would not do anything. A hard reboot recovered the system, and there was nothing in the event log (save "unexpected shutdown" ;)). Since it happened rarely, I chalked it up to Vista.

Now, with windows 7 ultimate (updated, and un-tweaked) The issue is still around. Most noticeably, while playing StarCraft 2. I understand its a beta, the system hang also occurs occasionally while watching a movie, and once while playing The Sims 3.

Video drivers are up to date (8.723.0.0), as is Windows 7.

I ran memtest, 100% pass over 4 series of tests.

Attempted Starcraft II with crossfire disabled, same thing.

pls help :)

EDIT: I also have no overclocking going on

Last edited:
ewwww a Phenom I !!

all joking aside, maybe a bad install of windows ???

did you get it through the student download option ? i know when I did, and had to create an .iso on my own(before they allowed you to get an .iso instead of the .box files), i botched the thing, and had system hang ups like crazy...

sadly yes... phenom I...

The install was off of a burned ISO that I received through work... any MD5 I can run on the DVD that you know of? (getting a new disc will be difficult)

not sure, is there a scratch ? that could possibly botch the disc, or mess up an instal file....try making a copy on a new disc, and an install on a new partion if you have the space....dont want ya deleting your current OS and have same issue now do we ? (no worries on the phenom I, ive got a rig running a 9850 @2.9, 8 gig memory, and that same exact mobo.....quite nice mobo actually)

Disc looks ok... i'll try installing on another partition!

The Phenom II came out a month after I ordered my I ><

do the standard system testing as well.. stress test the cpu, check temps.. stress test the ram using memtest86.. test the gpu and make sure its not over heating.. if anything it will just remove possible variables into the problem..

Could be a dying hard drive especially if it were on a RAID, when my RAID arrays start to fail I get random locks or hickups.

well...

Temps seem to be OK, hard drives pass SMART test & SeaTools Drive Self Tests.

EDIT: I also did all this in a brand new installation of windows 7, on a separate partition.

I also disabled audio from bios and tried without sound in case those drivers were messing with it.

When none of the above worked, I went to the AMD website to download their overclocking utility to attempt underclocking. I noticed there was a southbridge driver update... who knew?

Was able to play a full game of SCII without a hang, but that doesn't really mean anything yet! More tests tomorrow, and I'll either close this thread or let you all know that there still issues! Thanks to all who posted!!!

Last edited:
Note to all those ASUS mobo peeps out there too - The southbridge driver update was on the AMD website, NOT the ASUS one, according to the chipmaker my mobo was up to date...

This problem is most likely a bad video card. Since you have two, remove one, and test. Then swap and test. Don't just disable, physically remove from the system.

This problem is most likely a bad video card. Since you have two, remove one, and test. Then swap and test. Don't just disable, physically remove from the system.

Done, system still hangs after a random amount of time playing.

Also, PSU tester confirms its not power related.

I feel like im runnung out of tests here... does anyone know of a good comprehensive statistics logger I ca run in the background???

viper, just to let you know I get random hangs in SC2 on my radeon 4850. my OC is 100% stable in everything but not SC2. It leads me to believe its an SC2 issue. bringing my Athlon II CPU to stock and lowering my radeon 4850 OC didn't help either. I'm using Cat 10.4's

do you have the latest ccc/drivers for your 4850s ?

Thanks W.Feather, I do... I uninstalled the old drivers, used Guru3D's Driver Sweeper, then installed all the new Catalyst drivers (April 28th ones).

novadaemon said:
viper, just to let you know I get random hangs in SC2 on my radeon 4850. my OC is 100% stable in everything but not SC2. It leads me to believe its an SC2 issue. bringing my Athlon II CPU to stock and lowering my radeon 4850 OC didn't help either. I'm using Cat 10.4's

Thanks for letting me know this... I have had problems with video playback and once with the Sims 3, but it is possible that I have fixed those issues, and just a SCII issue remains. I'll try and see if video still can cause a crash... thanks novadaemon!

wooo! ok... seems to be resolved.

*SIGH* the issue appears to have been that when I updated my bios, I (stupidly) forgot to re-clock my ram. I needed to under clock it to get it to run stable, but that's for another thread.

4 consecutive games without system hang...

THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED ME!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back