Who makes what in the LCD display industry?

Startup123

Weaksauce
Since the death of my crt which due to the lack of adequate replacement options is gaining more and more of my appreciation after it died, I'm reading and filling myself with all this tech junk information that I would love to forget as soon as I get some decent computer monitor.
The problem is that in order to make a proper choice I have to spend weeks reading everything about this crappy current display technology that brought down the user experience into the dark ages of the history of the computer displays. End of rant.

Back to the question in point. I was reading this page listing what kind of panel type is used by the different companies. Quote from the page
Manufacturer - Panel Trends
Acer - almost always AUO, I believe this company is related to BenQ
Apple - mostly LG Philips LCD IPS panels
BenQ - tends to use AUO almost exclusively, and has resorted to CMO in some cases
ChiMei - CMO brand
Dell - many LG Philips and Samsung panels (especially bigger ones), but can use AUO and CMO as well
Gateway - don't really know, but they have definitely used some Samsungs
Hanns.G - all Hannstar panels
HP - LG Philips, AUO, Samsung, CMO, almost anything
LG - many LG Philips and CMO panels, also uses some CPT panels
NEC - almost exclusively Samsung and LG Philips panels. Some medical displays made by NEC themselves.
Planar/DoubleSight - mostly Samsung, LG Philips
Samsung - almost always Samsung panels, but some models (226BW) have had panels from CMO, CPT, and AUO also!
ViewSonic - lots of CMOs, occasionally a Samsung or AUO

I spent a lot of time reading about different monitors and companies. Initially I thought that I could get away with this by trusting a few good reviews and ordered Dell u2711. Unfortunately I dont't like it and I'm going to return it. My latest choice is Nec PA241W and currently I'm trying to find a way to see it before I buy it which is turning out to be a very difficult task (more details regarding this here). Meantime, I'm trying to connect the dots and I'm thinking that in its latest professional displays Nec is using the same panels as Dell which are manufactured by LG. This makes me think that Nec PA241W has the same panel as Dell U2410 and the upcoming Nec PA271W will have the same panel as Dell u2711 which is also used by Apple for their iMac 27. I know that the panel model used is not all that makes a monitor but there are certain qualities and deficiencies that depend entirely on the panel itself and the company that builds the monitor can't do much about it. For example all reviews find that Dell u2711 has better black depths than Dell u2410 and no tinting issues. Apparently this difference doesn't come from Dell but LG. This review of Nec PA241W also says that its black levels are worse than Dell u2711. While this is important, the most important thing for me is to find out if the anti glare coating is part of the panel as manufactured from LG or is applied/ordered to the specifications of the monitor building company. One clue is that Apple iMac 27 is not matte, but I'm not sure if this is because LG has two types of this panel to choose from or the matte coating is up to each company using these panels. For me it will be devastating if the Nec PA monitors have the same matte coating as Dell's.
Any ideas?

I believe NEC still makes their high end panels.

But why didn't you like the U2711? Hard to recommend a monitor if we don't know what you like and don't like :)

Well, I read a lot of user posts and reviews that confirm the quote in my first post - many people and sources mentioned that H-IPS panels that Nec uses for their computer monitors are manufactured by LG. Which is also true for Dell, and Apple.
The big question is how the matte coating is made and more specifically, is it different for the different companies?

edit:
not that it helps a lot but I just looked it up and found this info about this LG Philips joint company
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Philips_Display

Last edited:
You will want to be aware of the Panel Search Database. Type in a brand name (like Dell or Viewsonic) and you will see most of their monitors listed along with what info is known about who made which monitors.

Edit after reading your post more closely:

For example, when I select "Model" and search for "Apple", I find that the 27" iMac panel is "LG.Display IPS (LM270WQ1)". I then select "Panel" and search for "LM270WQ1", and find that the U2711 and the 27" iMac have the same panel.

Last edited:
Great find evilsofa, very useful!

I checked the NEC models http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/search.php?query=nec&select=model
The model details for NEC PA241W are not complete (its a relatively new monitor) but it appears that it is the same panel as Dell u2410
this is what they say for both
NEC PA241W 8ms G2G 24"WS IPS
Dell U2410 6ms G2G 24"WS LG.Display H-IPS (LM240WU4-SLB1)

The big question is which component and if especially the coating is part of the panel or is this up to the monitor building company to apply or choose.

All this effort to find out this details is because I can't find a way to see that NEC monitor before I buy it. If I'm able to see it it will take just sending a look to found out. It is a real shame.

Well, you could always try to find an NEC LCD2490WUXi. But I have a feeling NEC isn't going to slap a crappy antiglare coating on its top of the line professional displays, so the PA241W will probably be very good as well.

EDIT: That said, I'm not sure why you think its the same panel as the U2410? The only listed spec is different between the two. There is nothing there that suggests that they are the same panel.

Well, you could always try to find an NEC LCD2490WUXi. But I have a feeling NEC isn't going to slap a crappy antiglare coating on its top of the line professional displays, so the PA241W will probably be very good as well...
Well, that was how I purchased Dell u2711 believing it is good after reading only positive things about it. But when I saw it that was not the case. So I'll believe it when I see it. And regarding LCD2490WUXi this is some old discontinued model that cannot be used as a reference for the current products. I read this thread dedicated to it where a lot of people think it is better than what's available. So I can't expect what I will get from NEC now based on how good LCD2490WUXi was in the same way I can't expect to get the same image quality I used to enjoy on my crt:(
kllrnohj said:
... That said, I'm not sure why you think its the same panel as the U2410? The only listed spec is different between the two. There is nothing there that suggests that they are the same panel.
If you go to this link http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_parts.htm and click on 24 next to "Choose Panel Size" you will see that only LG manufactures H-IPS panels and only one of them LM240WU4-SLB1 has 10 bit color depth. If we trust this source it is very obvious that NEC PA241W and Dell u2410 have the same panels. And according to this source this also means that the upcoming NEC PA271W will have the same panel as Dell u2711 and Apple iMac 27.
I would love to be wrong but all info I can find points to this conclusion.
So, as I said, the only hope remaining is if the anti-glare coating is not part of the panel manufacturing and that's what I'm trying to find out.

I really think you should go the PVA route instead.
The anti-glare coating is generally much "smoother" (well, non-grainy I mean). And then we have the black levels and viewing angles on black.

Check out the Eizo EV2333, it's got stunning black levels and is fairly cheap. You seem to be willing to spend quite a lot, buy two if you want more real estate. :)

Well, that was how I purchased Dell u2711 believing it is good after reading only positive things about it. But when I saw it that was not the case. So I'll believe it when I see it. And regarding LCD2490WUXi this is some old discontinued model that cannot be used as a reference for the current products. I read this thread dedicated to it where a lot of people think it is better than what's available. So I can't expect what I will get from NEC now based on how good LCD2490WUXi was in the same way I can't expect to get the same image quality I used to enjoy on my crt:(

No, I meant go buy a used LCD2490WUXi

If you go to this link http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_parts.htm and click on 24 next to "Choose Panel Size" you will see that only LG manufactures H-IPS panels and only one of them LM240WU4-SLB1 has 10 bit color depth. If we trust this source it is very obvious that NEC PA241W and Dell u2410 have the same panels. And according to this source this also means that the upcoming NEC PA271W will have the same panel as Dell u2711 and Apple iMac 27.
I would love to be wrong but all info I can find points to this conclusion.
So, as I said, the only hope remaining is if the anti-glare coating is not part of the panel manufacturing and that's what I'm trying to find out.

No, it would just mean that LG makes them both. LG makes more than one 24" H-IPS panel. Heck, according to the link you posted they make 7 IPS panels. Also, H-IPS is a type, not something LG specific. So far the information presented suggests that the U2410 and the PA241W do *not* have the same panel.

No, I meant go buy a used LCD2490WUXi...
If I have to look for used I'll look for crt. Why should I look for LCD crap.The best LCD cannot even remotely match the quality of the best crt. But I'm not looking for an used monitor - I already had one and it died.
...No, it would just mean that LG makes them both. LG makes more than one 24" H-IPS panel. Heck, according to the link you posted they make 7 IPS panels. Also, H-IPS is a type, not something LG specific. So far the information presented suggests that the U2410 and the PA241W do *not* have the same panel.
I have no Idea how your logic works but that link shows clearly that LG is the only company that makes H-IPS panels whatever that means. And there is only one panel 24" H-IPS model that has 10 bit color LM240WU4-SLB1.
We know very well that Nec PA241W is H-IPS and is a 10 bit color monitor.
Given this source is complete, my logic says that there is only one 24" H-IPS 10 bit color panel in the world I don't see how Nec can have a different one.

Last edited:
I really think you should go the PVA route instead.
The anti-glare coating is generally much "smoother" (well, non-grainy I mean). And then we have the black levels and viewing angles on black.

Check out the Eizo EV2333, it's got stunning black levels and is fairly cheap. You seem to be willing to spend quite a lot, buy two if you want more real estate. :)
Thanks for the suggestion Jonte, I will look into this option.
But the problem is that it is not possible to see these monitors on display. Are these companies afraid from displaying their products? I have no problem with companies like Dell, they don't display but accept return if you don't like it. But when you can't see it before you buy it and can't return it if you don't like it, common, since when was this practice established?:confused::mad:

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion Jonte, I will look into this option.
But the problem is that it is not possible to see these monitors on display. Are these companies afraid from displaying their products? I have no problem with companies like Dell, they don't display but accept return if you don't like it. But when you can see it before you buy it and can't return it if you don't like it, common, since when was this practice established?:confused::mad:

Where you would suggest they put them on display? Best Buy? Walmart?

Seriously, these just don't sell at brick and motor stores because the people shopping at those stores would never fork up the cash for a high end display.

I have no Idea how your logic works but that link shows clearly that LG is the only company that makes H-IPS panels whatever that means. And there is only one panel 24" H-IPS model that has 10 bit color LM240WU4-SLB1.
We know very well that Nec PA241W is H-IPS and is a 10 bit color monitor.
Given this source is complete, my logic says that there is only one 24" H-IPS 10 bit color panel in the world I don't see how Nec can have a different one.

That source being complete is far from a given, though.

That said, it looks like the PA241W has the same AG coating as other IPS panels: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1271663894

Where you would suggest they put them on display? Best Buy? Walmart?

Seriously, these just don't sell at brick and motor stores because the people shopping at those stores would never fork up the cash for a high end display....
Ok, then in Toronto where I live they can put them on top of the CN tower, French People can see them on top of the Eiffel tower, and in the US they can shine from places like Empire state building.
Still better than nothing don't you think?:D

You sound like you know more than the rest of us. If so, could you please shed some light and gives us some pointers and details.

From the top of the page: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_parts.htm

Note: These are taken from manufacturer product documentation and websites which are linked at the bottom of this page. Specs are up to date to the best of our knowledge, and new panels will be added as and when they are produced. Where gaps are present, the detail is unknown or not listed in documentation. The colour depth specs are taken from the manufacturer, and so where they specify FRC and 8-bit etc, this is their listing. Absense of such in the table below does not necessarily mean they aren't using FRC etc, just that this is how the manufacturer lists the spec on their site. Any corrections, updates or additions would be welcomed. Please contact us

I'm not saying it doesn't use the same panel, I'm saying we don't KNOW if it uses the same panel and that you are way too quick to jump to conclusions.

Also, I don't think the AG coating is tied to the panel in question. I thought they were two different things.

...I'm not saying it doesn't use the same panel, I'm saying we don't KNOW if it uses the same panel and that you are way too quick to jump to conclusions...
I explained very clearly how I reached to my conclusions and I appreciate your feedback on that. But when customers need information and the companies don't provide it then the customers can rely only on their common sense. Think about it. Why would I need to know all this? Because Nec doesn't allow the customers to see their products and will not allow return if customers don't like them. Why Nec, unlike Dell, doesn't clearly inform about what panel model they use and who is the manufacturer? My common sense says, because knowing this information will not be in the Nec's interest.
I don't know about you, but when a company doesn't want to provide information about their products, I am not inclined to interpret this with positive conclusions.

Back