What GPU setup do you go with ? 4gb 5970 or SLI GTX 480 adults, come in please.

bizzmeister

2[H]4U
Anyways, I just returned my XFX Radeon 5970 Black Edition back to Newegg. I got 1k to play with when it comes to my videocard. The reason why I returned it was because I knew the 5970 4gb cards coming in May, I think ?? And I just read the review on the Sapphire 5970 Toxic 4gb edition. Apprently NOW the worlds fastest gpu with 900/1200 clocks from FACTORY and it runs WAYYY COOLER than the 5970 I just returned. That's just insane.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=24278&page=1

Check out that review. Now Im stuck with this problem here. If you actually read that entire review with the games they benchmarked, nvidias GTX480 in SLI mauls this new $1000 4gb 5970 in the AA department where as it does great elsewhere. I don't understand it. I really don't. I figure ATI would have figured this out by now but I guess not. With AA turned all the way up, the SLI 480's are getting much more FPS. That really bothers me.

What would you do in this case? Go for the dual GTX480's or go with the Sapphire 4gb 5970 toxic edition and why? Remember, more 4gb 5970's are apparently coming out in May too but I doubt they'll surpass this Sapphire one.

ORRRRRR do you wait for Nvidia's dual gpu fermi card? I haven't even heard anything about that yet, though.

** BTW, I just picked up 3 Asus 24" 1920x1080 lcd's to run a triple monitor setup like eyeinfinity BUT im hearing that I can't run this setup on SLI GTX 480 right now. Is that true ? Because newegg has them in stock right now and i want to pull the trigger but im not sure.

----- Please excuse the crappy iphone pics. Also included is a youtube link to video of mysetup now MINUS the 5970 that was returned, if you're curious:

1-10.jpg

2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFbeBq-OhnQ

Currently nvidia surround (nvidia's tripple monitor gaming) is not supported. It is supposedly be relased in april, but we only got a few days left of april. Who knows when we will see the driver that will enable this feature.

I would probably get the Sapphire Toxic. I like the thermals and power ratings, the fact that eyefinity works now and nvidia surround is nowhere to be seen, I also like the Bad Company 2 benches. Depends on what you play, though. A pair of 480's will be a more powerful combo, but I wouldn't get a pair of them unless I was watercooling. Bottom line, you will get better fps per $ on the sli 480 deal.

It isn't what you were asking, but my ideal choice on card combos right now would be a pair of eyefinity 6 5870's.

The issue I have with these reviews on it so far -- 2560x1600 res? This card is clearly for 3 screen setups.

It's nice to see a review showing the 4GB 5970 with XF 5870s. Looks like the extra memory isn't really helping the 5970 except in Crysis Warhead at high resolutions.
I think the higher clocks is what results in the 5970 4GB keeping up to the XF 5870s. 900 core and 4800 memory should be fairly easy for any 5970 to achieve.
I seem to recall reading that with 3 displays, Nvidia will be processing two thirds of the rendering on the card with 2 monitors hooked up and one third of the rendering on the card with one monitor hooked up. This could give ATI an advantage in 3 monitor setups.
I think you have to wait for the reviews with triple monitor resolutions, to see how much a difference the extra memory makes and how Nvidia stacks up against ATI. The best bet might be XF 2GB 5970s overclocked.

I would probably get the Sapphire Toxic. I like the thermals and power ratings, the fact that eyefinity works now and nvidia surround is nowhere to be seen, I also like the Bad Company 2 benches. Depends on what you play, though. A pair of 480's will be a more powerful combo, but I wouldn't get a pair of them unless I was watercooling. Bottom line, you will get better fps per $ on the sli 480 deal.

It isn't what you were asking, but my ideal choice on card combos right now would be a pair of eyefinity 6 5870's.

The issue I have with these reviews on it so far -- 2560x1600 res? This card is clearly for 3 screen setups.

Thats true, I cant seem to find any reviews on them either. I also keep hearing that in real life conditions, the GTX 480's thermals arent that bad at all and it works perfectly fine. The only thing I have a problem with is the fact that we know very little, if anything, how Nvidia surround ( their eyeinfinity ) will perform.

It's nice to see a review showing the 4GB 5970 with XF 5870s. Looks like the extra memory isn't really helping the 5970 except in Crysis Warhead at high resolutions.
I think the higher clocks is what results in the 5970 4GB keeping up to the XF 5870s. 900 core and 4800 memory should be fairly easy for any 5970 to achieve.
I seem to recall reading that with 3 displays, Nvidia will be processing two thirds of the rendering on the card with 2 monitors hooked up and one third of the rendering on the card with one monitor hooked up. This could give ATI an advantage in 3 monitor setups.
I think you have to wait for the reviews with triple monitor resolutions, to see how much a difference the extra memory makes and how Nvidia stacks up against ATI. The best bet might be XF 2GB 5970s overclocked.

Hmm, Im gonna have to wait for some reviews then. I am worried about how this nvidia surround is going to work. I'd hate to spend $1100 on SLI GTX 480's to find out nvidia surround is a flop. I'd also probably go into cardiac arrest lol.

As far as getting 2 5970's , i will definitely NOT be doing that.

1) Wayyyyyyyy too much money

2) Ive seen a couple benchmarks with XF 5970's and they didnt do well at all because nothing could fully utilize the quad gpu setup yet.

I would definitely hold off on more info regarding the Nvidia surround. It's supposed to be released any day now and you would be kicking yourself for not having all the info. No one on here can predict how well it will work in comparison to ATI's offerings and I'm sure you will be glad that you waited and made an educated decision seeing how much money you are putting up for it.

P.S. Don't discount the idea of 3 5870's in CF as they scale very well with the 3rd card and hardly cost any more than 2 480's (within $100 by my calcs.)

P.S. Don't discount the idea of 3 5870's in CF as they scale very well with the 3rd card and hardly cost any more than 2 480's (within $100 by my calcs.)
even in tri-sli, 1gb 5870 might be a little limited at high-res/high-aa.

Running 2x SLI 480, great performance. Got my 3rd 480 in today for my new build comming up. We do need to see what nVidia Surround brings, I'm hopeful that it will be decent, just a guess of course.

Thanks for you're input bro, I will definitely check into that too. I hope these drivers come out this week and we see some reviews.

I wouldn't pay a great deal extra for the 5970 special editions, 900/1200 overclock is pretty trivial on most 5970's with the correct voltages and no additional cooling required due to the stock HSF being overspec'd, you'd just be wasting money.

I also doubt the necessity of getting a 4Gb variant, recent benchmarks have shown that 1Gb is enough unless you're running high levels of AA at large eyefinity resolutions, I think you'll find that even an overclocked 5970 is going to struggle to power any modern game at 6.2Mpix with AA in the first place.

Some of my games the 5970 is starting to struggle at 2560x1600 (4Mpix) with low levels of AA (2x or 4x) so again i wouldn't splurge too much for a 4Gb variant, I don't think it will be worth the price in the end unless you're playing some older games on that rig.

I absolutely would not buy into Nvidia right now in the hope that multimonitor support is going to be fine, we've seen how long its taken ATI to roll it out with it planned from the early stages of GPU development, Nvidia will be rushing to play catch up, even if it's useable it's unlikely to be in a better state than eyefinity was 6-8 months ago.

My advice if you have 3 monitors now is to either go with ATI and grab a regular 5970 and maybe TriCrossfire it with another 5870, get some decent overclocks on all 3 GPUs. Or wait to see what Nvidia can offer in the way of matured multimonitor configurations, you might be waiting a while for that though.

I wouldn't pay a great deal extra for the 5970 special editions, 900/1200 overclock is pretty trivial on most 5970's with the correct voltages and no additional cooling required due to the stock HSF being overspec'd, you'd just be wasting money.

I also doubt the necessity of getting a 4Gb variant, recent benchmarks have shown that 1Gb is enough unless you're running high levels of AA at large eyefinity resolutions, I think you'll find that even an overclocked 5970 is going to struggle to power any modern game at 6.2Mpix with AA in the first place.

Some of my games the 5970 is starting to struggle at 2560x1600 (4Mpix) with low levels of AA (2x or 4x) so again i wouldn't splurge too much for a 4Gb variant, I don't think it will be worth the price in the end unless you're playing some older games on that rig.

I absolutely would not buy into Nvidia right now in the hope that multimonitor support is going to be fine, we've seen how long its taken ATI to roll it out with it planned from the early stages of GPU development, Nvidia will be rushing to play catch up, even if it's useable it's unlikely to be in a better state than eyefinity was 6-8 months ago.

My advice if you have 3 monitors now is to either go with ATI and grab a regular 5970 and maybe TriCrossfire it with another 5870, get some decent overclocks on all 3 GPUs. Or wait to see what Nvidia can offer in the way of matured multimonitor configurations, you might be waiting a while for that though.

Well see, im going to be gaming at a resolution of 5760x1080 so I need as much power as i can get. I will be playing Bad Company 2, Metro 2033, the valve series games like CS / team fortress etc / and all the new FPS's that come out. I want to be able to run these games at max settings on these 3 monitors. I really don't think a regular 5970 will be enough for this setup, in my eyes at least. Thats why I want either the new 4gb Sapphire toxic 5970 or SLI GTX 480's.

Why not consider crossfiring two Sapphire Toxic 5870 2GB models? Thats what I did after I sold my Sapphire 5970!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102891&cm_re=5870-_-14-102-891-_-Product

Ya I guess I could do that too but if I decided to go the two card route, I'd probably go GTX 480 because it outperforms the 5870 in XF in most cases.

4GB Toxic is nearly as fast as GTX 480 SLI but is a lot quieter. I have no complaints about GTX 480 SLI performance. It's the tops, and the AA is sick, but the noise and heat are ... well, you'd have to hear it to believe it. :eek:
The thing is that if the 5970 4GBs are going to be sold in super limited quantities (XFX and ASUS said they're only making 1,000 each), it might be REALLY tough to get a hold of one.

4GB Toxic is nearly as fast as GTX 480 SLI but is a lot quieter. I have no complaints about GTX 480 SLI performance. It's the tops, and the AA is sick, but the noise and heat are ... well, you'd have to hear it to believe it. :eek:
The thing is that if the 5970 4GBs are going to be sold in super limited quantities (XFX and ASUS said they're only making 1,000 each), it might be REALLY tough to get a hold of one.

Oh sweet man, you got a 480 SLI setup. Can you please post pics, if its not too much to ask. Want to see what you're setup looks like.

Is the noise/heat really that bad ? My build is pretty quiet overall man, the loudest thing in my case was the 5970 I returned.

As far as obtaining one of those limited 4gb 5970's, I check Newegg everyday. I guess I'll have to hope I can obtain one if I go the 5970 route. Does anybody have a release date for these god damn 4gb 5970's ?

Well see, im going to be gaming at a resolution of 5760x1080 so I need as much power as i can get. I will be playing Bad Company 2, Metro 2033, the valve series games like CS / team fortress etc / and all the new FPS's that come out. I want to be able to run these games at max settings on these 3 monitors. I really don't think a regular 5970 will be enough for this setup, in my eyes at least. Thats why I want either the new 4gb Sapphire toxic 5970 or SLI GTX 480's.

Yes I know, I basically said that a 5970 may not be enough, games like Metro2033 are real performance killers, kind of like Crysis was back when it was first released.

Simply going from a 2Gb 5970 to a 4Gb variant isn't going to add performance, it's only going to help where you're limited by the amount of vRAM you have, and that isn't until you start applying lots of AA at very high resolutions.

My main argument here is that games like Metro2033 are so demanding on the GPU to begin with that you're not going to have enough raw power to allow you to use AA at that kind of resolution, and most new games are likely to be similar in this regard. On the flip side of that coin, games that are old enough to run well at this resolution (for example CS/TF2 etc) use such a small amount of vRAM to begin with that again it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Rendering an upgrade in amount of vRAM pretty much pointless.

What you need is more raw GPU power, which is why I suggest TriCrossfire with an overclocked 5970 and a 5870, you wouldn't be able to use a 4Gb 5970 in this configuration anyway, not until 2gb 5870's started to appear, either way I still say it's a waste of money to shoot for more vRAM.

After reading all the above, would it not make sense to just grab 3 2GB 5870s and trifire them? Id have to imaging that 3 5870 GPUs with a mild overclock would give you a much better real world gaming experience in terms of performance, noise, heat, AND power than 2 480's. If you havent heard the 480 in action, I present you with this if you havent seen it or are aware of it. Further more, you should check this out, Noise, power and temp portion of hardocp's recent 480/sli v. 5870 review.

Hope that helps.

After reading all the above, would it not make sense to just grab 3 2GB 5870s and trifire them? Id have to imaging that 3 5870 GPUs with a mild overclock would give you a much better real world gaming experience in terms of performance, noise, heat, AND power than 2 480's. If you havent heard the 480 in action, I present you with this if you havent seen it or are aware of it. Further more, you should check this out, Noise, power and temp portion of hardocp's recent 480/sli v. 5870 review.

Hope that helps.

maybe, the 2gb 6finty cards have quite the preminum on them. 100-200 bucks on top of normal 5870. + DP adaptors

the 5970 at least comes with one DP adaptor.

even in tri-sli, 1gb 5870 might be a little limited at high-res/high-aa.

I'm not so sure about that, any benchies or reviews that show this?

Even in Metro 2033 the most lopsided benchmark in favor of Nvidia right now the 3 5870's outperform the 480's in SLI

http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/articles/amdnampoZGSa/4way_SLI_GeForce_GTX_480_test/6

In a lopsided ATI benchmark like Dirt 2 at higher res maxed out the 3 5870's really cream the 480's in SLI

http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/articles/amdnampoZGSa/4way_SLI_GeForce_GTX_480_test/7

If I were in the market for that much GPU horsepower spending about $1200 on GPU's I'd be looking at 3 5870's in CF.

If there's any other reviews of 3 5870's vs. 2 480's I'd be interested to see them as well.

Oh sweet man, you got a 480 SLI setup. Can you please post pics, if its not too much to ask. Want to see what you're setup looks like.

Sure, here you go.

103_6487_8x6.jpg

Is the noise/heat really that bad ? My build is pretty quiet overall man, the loudest thing in my case was the 5970 I returned.

Yes, it's pretty bad when you SLI. A GTX 480 by itself is not too bad, but two of them just adds to the heat issue, particularly for the topmost card. I am seriously considering investing in watercooling at this point.

Let's just put it this way about the heat - with two monitors attached, the top card idles at over 80c and the bottom one around 70c. I was doing some 2d web browsing, reading the forums etc., so I turned off autofan and manually reduced the fan speed to a FIXED 50%. About a half hour or so later, I'm not sure when, the video cards STOPPED working! Black screen, couldn't get video signal back, so I had to reboot. And this was for WEB BROWSING. Obviously 50% fan was not good enough for even that.

The Temps are much worse under load, about 95c, and the fans usually spin up to 75% or above when playing intensive games like Just Cause 2 at 16xAA/16xAF! If you try to manually adjust fan speed under 75% you get rapid temparture rises to the 100c and above mark IE the Danger Zone! Sometimes I wonder if its my casing, but I've got a HAF932 which SHOULD have adequate airflow.

As far as obtaining one of those limited 4gb 5970's, I check Newegg everyday. I guess I'll have to hope I can obtain one if I go the 5970 route. Does anybody have a release date for these god damn 4gb 5970's ?

I think it's going to be a lot harder to find one of these legendary 5970 4GBs then it is to find a pair of GTX 480 or 5870 2GBs. I do like the fact that the 5970 is a single card solution. That helps control the noise and heat and is a more elegant solution than 2 separate cards in SLI or crossfire. But rarity and supply will be an issue.

I'm not so sure about that, any benchies or reviews that show this?

Even in Metro 2033 the most lopsided benchmark in favor of Nvidia right now the 3 5870's outperform the 480's in SLI

http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/articles/amdnampoZGSa/4way_SLI_GeForce_GTX_480_test/6

In a lopsided ATI benchmark like Dirt 2 at higher res maxed out the 3 5870's really cream the 480's in SLI

http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/articles/amdnampoZGSa/4way_SLI_GeForce_GTX_480_test/7

If I were in the market for that much GPU horsepower spending about $1200 on GPU's I'd be looking at 3 5870's in CF.

If there's any other reviews of 3 5870's vs. 2 480's I'd be interested to see them as well.
none of your benches show high-res (1920x1080 is not that high) or high-AA. Show me benches where your 5870 with 1gb buffer does 5760x1080, with 8aa or over, and you'll see for yourself who gets creamed. Of course, it's hard to compare since the damn nvidia 3d surround is not out yet, but whatever, at extreme high res, 1gb 5870 is rather limited, just not enough memory to feed all that multi-screen goodness. 2gb 5870 is entirely different matter.

Are you really insinuating that 3 gpus vs 2 gpus is a fair comparison?
In the review you linked, the GTX 480 SLI beats 5870 CF convincingly.
There were performance disparities depending on the game, but CrossfireX seemed to show better scaling at 3 video cards than SLI did.
However at 2 gpus, the 480 SLI combo beat any dual ATI gpu combo, either 5870 CF or 5970.

Here's some of my mine. Yes my cards are together which will have to be the case when I go to 3x SLI, but that's for a totally new build, will be taking these cards and the third I have on hand with this 980x and putting in a Mountain Mod case with a Rampage III.

Card%20Shot-01.jpg

Card%20Shot-02.jpg

There were performance disparities depending on the game, but CrossfireX seemed to show better scaling at 3 video cards than SLI did.
However at 2 gpus, the 480 SLI combo beat any dual ATI gpu combo, either 5870 CF or 5970.

well to be fair, 3 5870s will cost just slightly more then 2 GTX 480s, and use less power. so While "playing fair" might matter to you, the only fair I see is the what provides me with the best experience, for a certain budget.

Last edited:

What does fair have to do with it? In fact in a price/performance comparison I believe comparing 3 5870's to 2 480's is a more fair comparison.

I don't know about the US but right now in Canada you can buy the 5870 for $390 and the 480 for $540.

So price comparison:
5870x2 = $780
480x2 = $1080

Price gap = $300 more for the 480's.

5870x3 = $1170
480x2 = $1080

Price gap = $90 more for the 5870's

Now I don't know the US prices so a quick search on newegg shows the 480's are OOS but can go for 500 even for the cheap brands (no lifetime warranty) and your 5870's are showing up as 400 even. Just going by this even though I hate to use prices for something not in stock and no idea if there are better deals on the 5870 here's the comparison.

5870x2 = $800
480 x2 = $1000

Price gap = $200 more for 480's

5870x3 = $1200
480x2 = $1000

Price gap = $200 more for 5870's

So even going by these numbers it seems that in all fairness the 5870's have every right to be compared in 2 or 3 cards to 2 480's depending on how much you want to spend. I have to assume you could even get 5870's used for less as I purchased mine used in Canada here for $315.

So please tell me why you think it's fair to compare 2 480's that cost $200 more than the 5870's but if you compare 3 5870's at $200 more than the 2 480's that isn't fair?

Last edited:
Wow, thats pretty bad. Man, I can't believe Nvidia released this shit knowing it was this bad and then later claimed " these cards are meant to run hot " . That is complete garbage, I wonder how long these cards will last at these temps, especially in cross-fire.

Now Im leaning towards grabbing one of the 4GB 5970's and calling it a day. It probably will perform a little worse than GTX 480SLI with 3 monitors ( well we actually have no idea since there are no reviews and apprently these 4gb 5970's were made for multi-display setups ) we will see.

Heatlesssun - Thats a crazy ass setup you're gonna be going with. After watching that 16 minute video ebeattie posted in the prior page, Im a little hesistant to go that route.

vjcsmoke - I can't believe its that bad and you even have the same huge case I do , the HAF 932. Its an awesome case that, case alone, brought my cpu temps down compared to my old antec 900. Even with this case, if its that bad, I think im gonna skip it all together. I seriously thought they used cheap shit cases in these reviews and at least an HAF 932 would make the cards breath better but I guess not.

I wouldn't drop $500 on a 1GB 5870 when you can get a 2GB for the same price, especially with you wanting to run CF. If you want to get 1GB cards just grab a reference and save $100. I'm running my card (reference 1GB 5870) at stock, but it runs really cool - hits 70C when I run furmark and idles in the low 30's.

I wouldn't drop $500 on a 1GB 5870 when you can get a 2GB for the same price, especially with you wanting to run CF. If you want to get 1GB cards just grab a reference and save $100. I'm running my card at stock, but it runs really cool - hits 70C when I run furmark and idles in the low 30's.

Ya I see what you mean but I honestly don't know shit about those eyeinfity 6 cards. Those outputs, do I have enough in the box to run 3 monitors ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7503&cm_re=radeon_5870-_-14-127-503-_-Product

That's the MSI one right there for $509. It has those 6 outlets in back, I plan on running 3 ASUS monitors, 3 of these specifically:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4236082&cm_re=asus_24"-_-24-236-082-_-Product

The monitors are out for delivery and will be arriving sometime today. If I were to get 2 of these videocards, would the boxes contain everything I need to run 3 of these together in eyeinfinity mode without the need of buying any other components ?

You will need an active display port adapter to run eyefinity with those monitors regardless of what card you buy. I'm unsure about the eyefinity 6 edition though and wether or not that would require more than 1 adapter... I didn't realize you had already bought monitors. I know if you run the regular 5870 1GB cards you will need 1 active adapter for that setup.

That does not come with these videocards?

Shit, now im confused.

Nope... That's why everyone is trying to get monitors with displayport connections. If you were to use a standard 5870 1GB card (seeing as I'm unsure about the eyefinity 6 and what it requires for it's minidisplayport outputs), you would connect via. 2x DVI connections directly to your monitor and 1x active displayport adapter (sets you back another $100).

God damn it. Now we gotta find someone who can explain how these eyeinfinity 6 cards work when hooking up 3 monitors.

I am seriously considering investing in watercooling at this point.

Let's just put it this way about the heat - with two monitors attached, the top card idles at over 80c and the bottom one around 70c. I was doing some 2d web browsing, reading the forums etc.,

I bought a couple of Danger Den copper GTX 480 heatsinks for my two cards and running a Black Ice 480 rad with four Noctua NH-U12P 1300rpm fans (whisper quiet, I cannot even hear if they are running) and my idle temps with three Dell 3007 (only two currently work for gaming) monitors are 34C and 31C, and after a hour or so of Metro 2033 at full, the highest temps that I have seen are 50C and 49C no to mention overall lower temps on motherboard temperature readings as well.

Huge difference from the air cooling I tried before I had time on the weekend to properly setup the water loop.

God damn it. Now we gotta find someone who can explain how these eyeinfinity 6 cards work when hooking up 3 monitors.

from the anandtech review

You can further convert two of those DP outputs into any combination of DVI, HDMI (only one can be HDMI) and VGA. The remaining four connectors must remain Display Port due to the limited number of timing sources on the 5870. The card will come with two mini DP to DP adapters, 2 passive mini DP to SL-DVI dongles and one passive mini DP to HDMI dongle.

Normally, eyefinity needs an active DP->DVI connection, in this case I think it would work, because the 5870, has 2 hdmi/dvi outputs, or at least the hardware for 2, even on the 5870 eyefinity 6, when you want to use a 3rd monitor, that's when an active DP->DVI adapter is needed. I'm not 100% sure on this, just following the given logic =p

Back