XFX Black Edition 750W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
XFX Black Edition 750W Power Supply Review - XFX is back with its "Love it or hate it!" heavy handed green and black industrial motif on a new 750 watt computer power supply. Just perfect for a new power hungry Fermi video card. Is XFX's new PSU up to our testing criteria? Last time around XFX did great, hopefully this one is up to our test.

The color scheme would go great w/ the DFI Lan Party boards. I know it would go well with mine with the UV reactive yellow parts.

just wondering did you guys try pulling 850w out of it just to see if it would do it since it is pretty much identical to the 850w version?

Thanks for the great review...very nice PSU indeed. I was eying them when they first came out, when they were bundled with 5850's/5870's. I didn't pick one up then because I just didn't need the extra power.

Thanks for the review. Not sure if I am a big fan of the color scheme though. I guess I just like my PSU's plain and boring.

Was this review really necessary? The 850W and 750W are virtually identical.

If $157 and $125 are identical, you can paypal me the $27.

well now we know they are virtually identical.. :p

Exactly. Beforehand we don't know that. XFX could have slid this out with it being nothing like its big brother kind of like how some motherboards share a basic design but vary in the number of features enabled on various models resulting in two very different experiences from two very similar *looking* products.

We'll this would go perfect with a DFI X58 board and this TT NV Edition Case. I'm sure you could grab some other parts to match as well, but these are the ones that came to mind when I saw this psu. Would make for an eyecatching setup, some would love it while others would hate it.

That's a solid PSU with a good price and it's nice to see another quality psu enter the market at a strong value.

Thanks for the review [H]. :cool:

Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133100

Mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136063

Nice review!

Grammar alert on the last paragraph though:

Review said:
Given that you can purchase the XFX Black Edition 750 Watt PSU today for $125 with Free Shipping, it is simply and excellent value...

^ ..Lmao, thought the same thing when I read that MaK2000....lol. Sorry Kyle. ;)

I ordered myself a XFX 850 to replace my aging 520w. Hopefully it'll be enough juice to last me through a couple upgrades.

I just picked up the 650w version for an HTPC project I'm working on...TD has a rebate on them right now, plus Bing and you're practically stealing this thing. Looking forward to seeing a review on the 650w, hope it holds a candle to the other two...

AOM, I'm using this m-atx board here. It's been very stable.

P1020997.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a bit confused lately power supplies. maybe the reviewer here can clarify...what's better single or multi 12 volt rails? Antec says multi, PC Power and Cooling says single.

does it even matter/? is one more protective than the other? can you expand?

I am a bit confused lately power supplies. maybe the reviewer here can clarify...what's better single or multi 12 volt rails? Antec says multi, PC Power and Cooling says single.

does it even matter/? is one more protective than the other? can you expand?

Single rail done right is just as capable as multi when it comes to delivering power. Single can be a bit more unruly at the very high end depending on how OCP is implemented. Single rail is easier to setup up right on complicated systems. Just my 2 cents off the top of my head.

Thank you both for such fast replies. :eek:

So basicly one way or the other doesn't matter for a gamer's day to day usage. just marketing hype. Reliability not affected for components or PSU?

What does OCP do? what does it protect you from?

is there a way to compare PSU's in a chart like we do with graphics cards? A ranking of best PSU's?

OCP stands for "Over Current Protection". It prevents more than a pre-determined amount of curret to travel down any one set of wires. Without OCP, a short can cause a PSU to overload a wire or wires or a connector or connector pin and start a fire or, at the very least, create a blob of molten wire insulation on the bottom of your chassis.

Back