Ebert Calls Kick-Ass Movie "Morally Reprehensible"

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Based on the Marvel comic book characters, the movie has drawn criticism for it's overindulgence of violence and the use of children to delived that violence. Ebert says: "I know, I know. This is a satire. But a satire of what?" I'm wondering the same thing, even though I loved the Kick-Ass comic and assume I would love the movie as well. Should we be enjoying the violence dished out by Hit Girl? What is it about this violence that has an appeal? The Escapist's Movie Bob calls Kick-Ass fun despite its juvenile intentions, so Ebert might not be in the movie's target audience as he says, but a little piece of me still wonders why extreme violence perpetrated by pre-teens is entertaining to us."

All I can say is Ebert hated it, I will probably like it, 'nuff said. :cool:

Trailer is in the link

f'him. I follow rottentomatoes and all his reviews have been kid friendly milquetoast blahs. I disagree with Bob regularly but this week his review was pretty spot on.

i saw this movie yesterday and it was great. The little girl killing dudes was awesome and who cares its just a movie.

*puts on best "PC" face and clears throat*

Fuck Ebert! He can go back to dying now please....

I saw it thursday and thought it was pretty kick-ass.
When I first saw the trailer months ago I thought it was a kids movie since I never heard of the comic before.
Then I watched the Red Trailers and realized it was R rated.

Kick-Ass, is exactly what you'll be saying when you go see it!

In my opinion it was extremely well done. Sure there is a lot of violence and, yes, a younger child is dishing out some of that violence, but I don't think it was over the top nor displayed poorly. There was a lot of good humor. A lot of violent movies like to include crude jokes or senseles humor. Kick-Ass achieved the violence while maintaining a higher level of humor. But to each their own! This is a movie, most people go see movies to be immersed in a different world and sometimes seek to experience surreal events. Our experiences are not always similar. I have never liked "professional critics."

With all that said, GO SEE KICK-ASS!

Note to self: Don't show Ebert 99 percent of the anime in the world.

I like to looks of it but I'll probably wait for the BluRay. I barely ever go to the movies anymore.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Having not read or know anything really other than some commercials the it just seems stupid and unappealing in my personal opinion. I've watched Kill Bill 1 and 2 in theatres and have mixed feelings like in the anime part I was more interested than the rest of the movie and have yet to watch any of his other ones.

I've watched and enjoyed Roger Ebert since I was little when Gene Siskel was alive yet I come to conclusions on the movies that I want to see based on if it interests me. Kick-Ass doesn't have any appeal to me and blasting Ebert because he didn't like it is silly and stupid. He has a job of watching movies and reviewing them and whether or not you agreed with him its entertaining to read his reviews.

99% of animes aren't violent and over the top just like 99% of video games are violent and have ratings in the Mature category under the ESBR.

%s on the internet is always true;)

Morally reprehensable? I think Ebert needs to realize there's a world larger than himself out there.

Maybe he should go watch Blood Diamond again...

I don't pay any attention to any one reviewer when I decide what movies to watch. First it has to pass my "Would I like this" test by having me read the synopsis or look at what actors/actresses in it, then I will look at metacritic to see how it fared, then I might even look at the movie's wikipedia page.

Then I decide to pass or fail it for watching.

I rarely deviate from that method, fuck Ebert, I tried, I TRIED to watch Twilight, that movie was such a sad sack of shit I fell asleep halfway through it and never had any interest in finishing it. Kick Ass sounds like a movie I'd like from start to finish.

I always thought that Ebert's strength as a reviewer was being able to appreciate movies for their intent, and intended audience, and using that to qualify them.

Maybe he's just a crotchety old fart now.

Note to self: Don't show Ebert 99 percent of the anime in the world.

I like to looks of it but I'll probably wait for the BluRay. I barely ever go to the movies anymore.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

He doesn't have to worry about that since 99% of Animes never make it to the big screen & the ones that have, flopped hard. I can understand his point of view however. As good as the movie is, it can be disturbing to some to see a child kicking the shit out of grown adults. Can you imagine if a kid ran around attempting to do that in real life? That's how situations happen & people will be quick to blame it on the movie rather than proper parenting. Especially if the kid in question is there own.

I have never heard of Kick-Ass before, I am not into reading comics, but from watching the trailer I think this movie looks great. I'll definitely go watch this movie.

Huh, I honestly thought this movie was some kind of Hollywood prank o_O. Seeing as I now know it's a real movie I'll make up my own mind and by the trailer I'll prob get a few chuckles out of it at the very least :D

Hit Girl calling the room full of guys "++++s" in the trailer was enough to convince me to go see this.

I would find a baby kitten knife fight entertaining :eek: Now if you'll excuse me, I have a viral youtube video to make...

So... the only thing I could think of after watching a trailer of this was, Taser Arrows... Why because they are non-lethal and still look bad ass.

Now I just need to perfect my Collapsable Compound Bow @70+ LBs. Dress in all black.... maybe green.(name that super hero), Though he used a traditional bow.

Ah... I can't wait to get back and start my crime fighting again. I usually just went around with a giant wooden mallet, wearing a red hoody, playing wack-a-criminal.

So there's nothing funny about a preteen girl beating the crap out of a bunch of full grown men?

So there's nothing funny about a preteen girl beating the crap out of a bunch of full grown men?

Uhm, not if you're the full grown man getting his butt kicked by a teenage girl. I know I could never go out in public if that ever happened to me and I'd end up one of those 3 am Wal-Mart shoppers who are ashamed to go shopping during normal hours for fear of being seen.

Uhm, not if you're the full grown man getting his butt kicked by a teenage girl. I know I could never go out in public if that ever happened to me and I'd end up one of those 3 am Wal-Mart shoppers who are ashamed to go shopping during normal hours for fear of being seen.

Wal-Mart is open at 3 AM?

I might try to see this movie... haven't seen one since... District 9 / Ing. Basterds

A tiny child of a crime-fighter just seems so implausible... hopefully I'll be able to suspend my disbelief

I loved the movie as well. Just watched and gotta say I kinda want to go watch it again.

From this quote it seems he is also very concerned about the violence against kids:

"A movie camera makes a record of whatever is placed in front of it, and in this case, it shows deadly carnage dished out by an 11-year-old girl, after which an adult man brutally hammers her to within an inch of her life. Blood everywhere. Now tell me all about the context."

Watching a little girl get beat nearly do death doesn't sound very good to me either.
For those of you who saw the movie, how bad was that part?

Watching a little girl get beat nearly do death doesn't sound very good to me either.
Yeah that sounds pretty bad, but I'm surprised some folks here even care what ebert says that much, it's obviously his opinion. It's rated R for a reason, if your kids see it then you need to make sure they understand it's not right to do these things - otherwise those parents are the real "morally reprehensible" ones.

Having not read or know anything really other than some commercials the it just seems stupid and unappealing in my personal opinion. I've watched Kill Bill 1 and 2 in theatres and have mixed feelings like in the anime part I was more interested than the rest of the movie and have yet to watch any of his other ones.

I've watched and enjoyed Roger Ebert since I was little when Gene Siskel was alive yet I come to conclusions on the movies that I want to see based on if it interests me. Kick-Ass doesn't have any appeal to me and blasting Ebert because he didn't like it is silly and stupid. He has a job of watching movies and reviewing them and whether or not you agreed with him its entertaining to read his reviews.

99% of animes aren't violent and over the top just like 99% of video games are violent and have ratings in the Mature category under the ESBR.

%s on the internet is always true;)

I agree. Ebert, IMO, is generally a solid reviewer who explains why he likes or dislikes a movie. More often that not, you can read his review and figure out if the movie is something you'll like, regardless of what his opinion is.

With that said, I'm not sure how he can hate the movie, mostly because of the violence, while loving both Both Kill Bill movies (as well as many other over the top violent flicks).

All that said, there are 3 reviewers I like to check out:
Ebert, James Berardinelli (sp) and Armond White (*).

Mostly RE and JB.

(*) If White says it sucks, and reviews are mixed it's probably worth seeing. If he likes it, I'll generally pass.

He doesn't have to worry about that since 99% of Animes never make it to the big screen & the ones that have, flopped hard. I can understand his point of view however. As good as the movie is, it can be disturbing to some to see a child kicking the shit out of grown adults. Can you imagine if a kid ran around attempting to do that in real life? That's how situations happen & people will be quick to blame it on the movie rather than proper parenting. Especially if the kid in question is there own.

Ebert's given positive reviews to Anime features in the past. I haven't seen this flick, so I don't know what his objection is. As I said earlier, he's written positive reviews for overt the top violent flicks in the past, so on the surface, his objection this time is confusing.

I suppose I could ask on his blog, but I'm too lazy.

anyone see the graphic novel that this movie is made after? Yeah that's morally something or other too, however it's based off that novel and as such should be the same which apparently it has, bravo!

If they would have done the same with the movie Wanted it'd be great, but nope instead we get some stupid crap about assassins and loom weavers... I mean WTF is that!

yeh they have an x rated version where she fs off older men while talking dirty the whole time and then kills them in the most gruesome ways while her dad watches. i love this stuff and i dont think this is morally reprehensible either.

I cannot wait to see this movie. I guess I'm desensitized to teenagers committing acts of violence because all the anime I watched.

Just got back from the theater. Kick Ass was fantastic.

Same, went with my friends to see it and it was an awesome movie. I personally have nothing against a preteen girl committing massive violence. I can see how some people might find it borderline offensive... but it was very entertaining for me.

Since there's no edit button...

The comics are apparently much more gruesome. The trailers don't really show what this movie is really like. The trailers give off a stupid feeling (funny stupid kind of)... but the movie has some serious violence.

Back