SSD is Noisy!?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey all,

I recently picked up a OCZ Agility 120GB SSD and I'm loving the fast boot and app launch speeds. I discovered something odd - however.

The SSD (which I thought was supposed to be perfectly silent) gives off a strange high pitched screeching noise when it is accessed.

1.) Is this normal?

2.) Is it a sign of something being wrong with it?

3.) Is there a way to make it stop?

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
That sounds extremely wrong. I'm not really sure what would make a noise like that in an SSD...

After getting a 5770 and a SSD, I'm noticing coil whine from the power supply, it sounds like a hard drive. Idle power is too low =/

Its probably 120GB and the noise probably comes from the power supply.

You were correct ont he first part.

I'll ahve to listen to what the source of the sound is. Could ahve sworn it was coming from the SSD, but I could be wrong, as I didn't get in close (I guess I made the assumption cause it was the only new part in the box)

It sounds nothing like a hard drive. Sort of like a high pitched screech you would hear back in the day if you were to pick up the phone when someone was connected on a modem...

I know what the noise is you are refering to.

many electronics get this irritating noise, I don't know if it's you SSD making the noise, one way to be is to start only the PSU and the SSD and see which makes the noise.

If it is indeed the SSD you can check if covered by warranty.

Its probably 120GB and the noise probably comes from the power supply.

You were at least partially correct on the second part as well...

I opened the case up, and did several disk intensive activities with the SSD in my hand held against my ear, and the noise is definitely not coming from the drive.

It's really weird though, because I never heard it before installing the SSD (and its not because the hard drives were drowning it out, because they are still in there, and I can hear it)

My case is very small (shuttle small form factor) so it is very difficult to tell exactly where the sound is coming from. It makes no sense (because it appears during disk activity only), but it almost sounds as if it is coming from the video card... :confused:

Well, this is some strange mystery. I hope it doesn't mean my box is about to die :p

Almost certainly coil whine from the power supply - similar problems occur with graphics cards quite frequently, first I've heard of it with an SSD.

I have that same thing but with an Intel 80gb SSD (X25-M G2) in my laptop. Drives me nuts. No stability issues though.

I have an Intel X25-M G2 160 GB SSD, and have noticed the same noise described here for a couple of weeks. I'm glad I found this thread; I thought it was caused by the SSD, but as several people here have stated, the noise comes from the power supply.

When the power supply has been running for a while, reaching stable operating temperature, the noise is far less noticeable though.

My PSU is a Corsair CMPSU-450VXEU 450W, for the record. As I've had my SSD for more than half a year with the same PSU but without the noise, I guess the PSU is growing old. :)

My PSU is a Corsair CMPSU-450VXEU 450W, for the record. As I've had my SSD for more than half a year with the same PSU but without the noise, I guess the PSU is growing old. :)

Quality of the power coming in may have something to do with it as well. But Corsairs seem to be more prone to this than other manufacturers, for whatever reason.

Quality of the power coming in may have something to do with it as well. But Corsairs seem to be more prone to this than other manufacturers, for whatever reason.

Interesting. I have one of those compact Shuttle cases. I'll have to pop it open and see who the PSU manufacturer is. It's rated at 550W (if I recall correctly) which is quite impressive considering its diminuative size.

I've seen this on a few different power supplies. Including a power supply I just replaced for a client. Every time the hard drive accesses data you can hear it in the PSU. For the record it's a delta made 380watt antec.

Back