How to safely and securely wipe a hard drive plugged into a hard drive dock?

I'll be purchasing a Thermaltake BlacX hard drive dock very soon. I'm just wondering if there are any utilities/software that's capable of safely and securely erase the data on some of my hard drives as I prepare to sell them.

Normally I use BART to wipe my disks, but I need to boot from the disc and I don't think I can use it with a hard drive dock.

Thx!

If you had an eSATA port available and got the BlacX with eSATA, you'd be able to boot from that.

Depending on your motherboard you should be able to boot to USB as well.

About erasing data, I think filling it up with useless data may be a good way to go. For example, u can put a DVD iso in it, duplicate it a few hundred times until it fills up the drive.

DBAN isn't just for the paranoid. It's the nuclear option for removing data, and it's damned good at it.

dskwipe is what you want. It's a Windows command-line utility that will low-level wipe hard disks using the same methods as DBAN. You can choose the number of passes, whether you want to write random numbers, use the DOD 7-pass method, etc.

It works fine with a dock over both USB and eSATA. If you are using Windows Vista/7, you may need to delete any partitions from the hard drive you want to erase via disk management before dskwipe will work.

The one caveat is if there are problems with the hard drive, i.e. Windows can't detect it, etc.

Back