Thermaltake Level 10 Unboxing @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Thermaltake Level 10 Unboxing - Are you looking for a system chassis that steps firmly out of the Beige Box category and into something quite different. We are not sure what category it lands in, but we have been waiting around about 9 months to get our hands on one and it is finally here. We give you an unboxing look at Thermaltake's Level 10 computer chassis.

I'm torn with the design. It looks good from some angles and bad from others. I bet it looks a lot better in person though. But $700? Yeesh! I like how the hard drives are individually cased, though.

700 dollars for that fugly thing !_!" just wow, I mean I could see 300 dollars maybe even 400, but 700 dollars is insane for that!

It is still a Thermaltake no matter the price tag and I swear to never own a Thermaltake case :p

Love to see someone run a full internal water cooling system in this case LOL

I really want to watch the video and hear what you have to say about it Kyle.

I was very interested when I first heard about this case months back building my current machine, but the price tag turned me off this case quickly.
Though I wondered how cooling and other performance this case may or may not have?

Very interesting case for sure.

you could do it with an H50 but thats about it
its not a bad looking case but 700 is just to much for me 300 for my 800D was pushing it

I've seen them in person on display at Microcenter before. Obviously I only spent a few minutes checking it out. My first impression is that they are well built from what I can tell and I think it would be interesting to actually build a system in one. I too am a bit torn on the design. There are things I really like about it and some things I don't like. On the plus side it seems well made and obviously, it is something different. It truly sets itself apart from anything else on the market right now. For better or for worse. :D Of course at a price of $700 I can't envision myself ever buying one.

Having a commercial before the video is tolerable, but the popup panel that obscures part of the video is too much.

meh deal with it
made me lol was it was for Woolite or some thing XD lest the pop up thing was for some thing tech related but Hard has to make a buck some how

On the subject of the video itself, well done first look at an intriguing piece of hardware. Looking forward to a more detailed view, including installing a system and cooling comparison. I still can't see paying $700 for just a case, though. If it had a fully integrated water cooling system (that performed well), maybe. A case alone, I wouldn't pay more than $300 for the fanciest one on earth.

On advertising, when it becomes too much, the way I "deal with it" is to avoid it. If I don't want to deal with the advertising that goes with a [H]ardOCP vid, then I'm not going to view the video, and the site will lose that page hit. Kyle has to pay the bills, but I know he doesn't want to alienate his audience, either. Constructive criticism can help him gauge how far to go.

So is

Are you looking for a system chassis that steps firmly out of the Beige Box category and into something quite different.

an interrogative, or a statement? I'm confused.

Gotta love that cougarlife commercial.

Thanks for the preview Kyle. it's a really interesting case.

You might be a redneck if your gun safe is bigger than your refrigerator :rolleyes:

Reactions: Santa
like this
You might be a redneck if your gun safe is bigger than your refrigerator :rolleyes:

that one is kinda small, theres a larger one in my parents basement...took 5 people to move it :p

on topic....i'm torn by that case, the center spine almost reminds me of a ps2 sitting upright... Oo

the pricetag definitely keeps the non serious kiddies away though....including me.

"This is one of those things that we usually we not share with our readers,"

typo ^_^

that is a cool looking case however does it support all motherboards in that funky layout?

LUV the safe in the living room!! Beats my old Victrola that serves a similar purpose in my house!! Also.. super shiny floors! No way my wife would allow a heavy piece of metal on floors like those!!

Glad to see your UPS guy, as mine does, likes to play "let's see how much punishment this box can take before bursting"!!

Kyle.. hopefully your build with this case will be extensively documented, preferably via video, as this will certainly not be a "typical" rig build.

Interesting design and certainly a conversation starter.. but.. NOT worth $700 to most people. I have tried several times to convince myself that $300 for the Corsair 800D was a justifiable expense.. but.. couldn't pull the trigger. Hopefully I will forget all my previous arguments against buying the 800D when little brother 700D arrives (look wife.. I saved $50!!). Guess I will just have to make due with this until then..

Cardboard_Computer_Case.jpg

Reactions: Santa
like this
Agreed. I would like to see BMW partner up with Silverstone or Lian Li to design a case.

God damn that's such a great idea. That's the type of thing you could make money on :cool: A case designed by BMW would most likely be absolutely flawless.
Oh you mean this is made by BMW? Well it looks retarded, so I veto this design. But the next one...

btw I don't care about the case, I'm just glad there's another [H] video up; gives me something to do while I eat.

700 dollars for that fugly thing !_!" just wow, I mean I could see 300 dollars maybe even 400, but 700 dollars is insane for that!
A lot of people will hate on it for a variety of reasons, but I think somewhere around $500-700 ought to be expected (the $850 Newegg charges though is stupidly overpriced). The case weighs ~50lbs and is mostly aluminum w/ all sorts of difficult curves and bends. By comparison, Lian Li's cases weighing half as much or less can easily cost $300-600, and many of those products allow for parts to be carried over from other chassis designs thus lowering production costs. The Level 10 almost assuredly allows for little interchange of parts from other Thermaltake cases, so the manufacturing costs will be higher.

I like this case despite it's weight/size, but it's freakin' stupid that it costs so much, yet has glaring flaws like dust filters and a shortage of space for bigger CPU coolers. The early performance reviews show mixed results at cooling (damned if I can find the review I read w/ good temp numbers from ~Dec/Jan. It used to be high on google but no longer). The other previews show plenty of pics that the cable routing for the most part is pretty easy/good except for the hdds where adding fans or extra hot-swaps is a PITA.

Considering both the all-aluminum version of Thermaltake's Mozart TX and TT's watercooled SwordM have dropped in price to less than $250, in 2-4 years this thing will probably be $300-400. If it turns out to have solid cooling performance, maybe then I'd actually consider buying one.

God damn that's such a great idea. That's the type of thing you could make money on :cool: A case designed by BMW would most likely be absolutely flawless.
The Level 10 was designed by BMW and it's far from flawless. Really, as others have pointed out, they mostly just copied the design and layout concepts of the Edelweiss case and added more bays to make it a mainstream product.

Too bad Thermaltake customer support is staffed with know nothing assbags. I don't how cool anything they come out with is, I will never spend another dime on anything they have to sell after the way I was treated on the phone. I had one of their high end power supplies fail while it was well under warranty. I purchased it at a local brick and mortar Radio Shack and they demanded that I provide the original paper receipt or no warranty coverage. Well needless to say after moving to a new house I couldn't locate it. After explaining this I was told that "I had most likely bought it damaged off of ebay and was trying to get it fixed for free", I was told also "well I would never buy anything from Radio Shack they sell over priced junk". My reply was, "Yeah they carry Thermaltake products". I offered to pay for advanced replacement even. At the end of the conversation I had been called a liar, and basically a thief for insisting that they honor their warranty. Well congratulations Thermaltake your $11/hour phone monkey cost you a life long customer. Oh yeah and you can keep your ugly ass case I gave my money to Corsair and bought an Obsidian.

I saw the case at Microcenter too. I thought it felt cheap and quite flimsy for a $700 case. The fit and finish just wasn't there either. I do not think that in a case that expensive there should be gaps and mis-aligned panels.

If the case gets dirty can we clean it with Woolite? :)

I like the design of the case but the $700 price tag seems a bit too much for what it offers. Still, it would be really cool to see the details of putting a system in it.

Gives me kind of a HAL 9000 vibe for some reason, would be interesting to see modded as such.

WOW 50LBS :eek: ...... = NOT LAN FRIENDLY :eek:

x3 not the case for me :eek:

PS can't wait to see the follow up build

That case gets a big MEH from me and a chuckle at the price.

Interesting design and certainly a conversation starter.. but.. NOT worth $700 to most people. I have tried several times to convince myself that $300 for the Corsair 800D was a justifiable expense.. but.. couldn't pull the trigger. Hopefully I will forget all my previous arguments against buying the 800D when little brother 700D arrives (look wife.. I saved $50!!).

I think you will be more than happy with the 700D. I got the 800D last year and it is the most well thought out case I have gotten my hands on. Just excellent. Had the 700D been an option when it came out I probably would have picked that up instead since I don't need a window or hot swap HD bays.

You'll love it.

Yep count me in as one of the people who actually likes the look of the case. If it was $300 or less I buy one.

WOW 50LBS :eek: ...... = NOT LAN FRIENDLY :eek:

x3 not the case for me :eek:

PS can't wait to see the follow up build

My old CRT was 90lbs and I took it to lans :D

IMO Kyle, weigh the case AFTER you finish so we can see the finished product ^_^

I like the design but I can see some limitations like using a more serious CPU cooler as mentioned above. The weight is another issue. It's fine for someone like me who doesn't carry their rig to LANs but you'd think by looking at it that it'd be much lighter.

Still, The price is WAY too high. In my view anything over $300 bucks that isn't carved out of a solid chunk of aluminum is overpriced.

I think most of the price has to do with three little letters...BMW

:cool:

Oh you mean this is made by BMW? Well it looks retarded, so I veto this design. But the next one...

btw I don't care about the case, I'm just glad there's another [H] video up; gives me something to do while I eat.

If that would every happen, we would see more $700 line case! I don't really think the price justifies the design and function. I bet that's why Level 10 is priced that high is because of the collaboration with BMW designers. Honestly, my only concern about the Level 10 is that there's no support for water cooling.

So far, I love what Corsair 800D did; they put what the people really wants with the case.

Edit:
I found this modded Level 10 case. Looks okay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSH06V3GizU&NR=1

Last edited:
It's cool looking, but more of a penis swinging device than anything else.

Back