SFF 8087 to 4x Sata cables

Tau

Limp Gawd
I will be revamping an old fileserver here shortly and need some new SFF 8087 to 4x Sata breakout cables. I dont want to go with the ebay specials anymore since i dont really trust them... and I dont want to wait for shipping :p

I have the ability to get almost any of them at cost... Just woundering that is considered a good make/style... I would assume adaptec, and tripplite? 3com?

A couple suggestions to nudge me in the right direction would be great, than I can pester my purchaser to find me some :D

Most of the 'brand name' cables are just oem cables from companies like Molex, Amphenol, Foxconn, etc. Usually if you know the oem part number and have connections through parts suppliers, you can get them for a LOT cheaper.

Yeah, I looked up a couple Adaptec's for $8.... retail being ~$40. But there is giant markup in cables so not a big surprise there.

Know of anyone that makes a super short SFF8087-SFF8087? it only needs to be maybe 6" long... going from the Raid card to Expander... lol

Most of the ones I see are 1.6' (.5m) long... that would end up being a fair bit of extra rolled up cable sitting around in the case.

You need to also keep in mind that the PHYs on the controller and the expander cards are usually set to drive longer cables (e.g. 0.5 to 1m), so if you use a short cable, you may actually end up with signal distortions on either or both ends!

I'm about to purchase a 3ware 9650se and will also need mini-sas to 4x Sata.... anyone care to chime in how these can be had for cheap from vendors? I had a server build about 6 months ago and ended up spending like $35 for 2 long cables (needed for supermicro 8x sata cage)

I know Molex makes a 152mm/6.0" SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable:

http://www.molex.com/molex/products...LE_ASSEMBLIES.xml&channel=Products&Lang=en-US

I bought 14 of the 600mm/23.6" SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cables for my setup:

http://www.molex.com/molex/products...LE_ASSEMBLIES.xml&channel=Products&Lang=en-US

I think the 600mm cables were around $6 each direct from the manufacturer (actually via my component distributor).

You need to also keep in mind that the PHYs on the controller and the expander cards are usually set to drive longer cables (e.g. 0.5 to 1m), so if you use a short cable, you may actually end up with signal distortions on either or both ends!

Hmm, i never thought about a shorter cable being an issue... Might be something Ill have to play with... Thanks for the link to the Molex, I have a small notepad full or part numbers to bombard my purchaser with in the morning... And will most likly end up ordering tommorow. Have to open up the case tonight and figure out what im going to do with the extra cable now ;)

Back