NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Final Specs & Pricing Revealed

at that price, it's actually not bad, I'd say $399 would be a bit better but if it is faster then the 5870 then it's justified, unless of course AMD drops their price by 25-50 bux

sucks some serious power but I love the look of the heatsink out the side of it.

Internal benchmarks reveal that GeForce GTX 470 is some 5-10% faster than Radeon HD 5850 and similiar for GeForce GTX 480 over the Radeon HD 5870.

bad news for them if this is really true at $349 and $499, respectively.

bad news for them if this is really true at $349 and $499, respectively.

That depends on how you look at it. Right out of the window, they can claim to have the fastest single GPU card on the market if 5-10% claim holds true. This is before the drivers begin to mature. Of course, we'll need to see some legit reviews first pitting it against AMD's top offerings that are currently available. I'm in for a single GTX 480 though by. Just not at launch. Will probably be in May.

So if a game is running at 60 fps on the 5870, it will run at perhaps 3 to 6fps better on the 480. Totally worth the wait.

That depends on how you look at it. Right out of the window, they can claim to have the fastest single GPU card on the market if 5-10% claim holds true. This is before the drivers begin to mature. Of course, we'll need to see some legit reviews first pitting it against AMD's top offerings that are currently available. I'm in for a single GTX 480 though by. Just not at launch. Will probably be in May.

120 dollars more for 10% more performance? doesnt seem like a good deal to me.

In September one could have bought 2x hd 5850 for $520, which at these numbers will severely dismantle the gtx 480 performance. (and use about the same power lol)

This of course all hinges on these numbers being accurate, which is still far from a certainty.

295W TDP? Wow, just wow... pair of it, along with PhysX card will get about 800W. And if they want to make 495, then pair of those would just require 1,2k PSU or higher.

Now, I'd not mind such power usage, if this card will be much faster then 5870. But, if what they say is true, then IMO10% difference won't be highly noticeable, especially if the card will be about 100 USD more expensive then AMD counterpart. Just from power usage /price levels I don't see reason to update my 5870 to 480 (and I really don't care which company is inside, as long as it gives me what I want)

I think it will all be decided on what you want to do - 3D or Eyefinity.

I hope the 10% thing isn't true. I've already got a 5870 that does 1030|1300.

No way I'd bother spending near 500usd on a 480 if that's all I get.

I hope the 10% thing isn't true. I've already got a 5870 that does 1030|1300.

No way I'd bother spending near 500usd on a 480 if that's all I get.

Plus with ati 6xxx refresh coming within months things are looking bad for the gtx 4xx camp.

120 dollars more for 10% more performance? doesnt seem like a good deal to me.

In September one could have bought 2x hd 5850 for $520, which at these numbers will severely dismantle the gtx 480 performance.

This of course all hinges on these numbers being accurate, which is still far from a certainty.

The 5850 & 5870 were not very good at launch in terms of performance so it's the same case scenario. The cards did have 3 things going for it though. Price per performance, DX 11 & Eyefinity. AMD's pricing structure is a result of not having much of a choice as they were getting a pretty good beatdown by Nvidia prior to the R800 series. To simplify, they had to undercut the competition to move there product. The same can be said for there CPU line.

I expect the performance of the GTX 470/480 to improve overtime as new revision of drivers are released. Which is a common scenario with GPU's. The difference between the catalyst 9.10 & catalyst 10.3 is very noticable in terms of performance & benchmarks. Give the GTX 470/480 some time to mature & I am certain that the performance from it will justify the price tags.

overclocking the 5000s will prob make up the difference in performance. My $259 5850 overclocked, performs better than a stock clocked 5870 now. Will be interesting to see how much oc these new nvidia cards can handle with their power consumption. It doesnt look like ati will need to cut any prices.....

Glad to see it finaly coming to market, looking forward to the reviews ! Also curious which ATI drivers were used for those performance comparisons, and availability of both teams products, as well as o-clocking headroom on Nvidias part. Power consumption is high, but that was a given. I fortunatly have an issue free XFX card bought last fall at intro prices, so no regrets.
But having competition will keep the prices in check, and keep the driver teams on their toes !

If these power numbers are true, is this card going to be physically impossible to overclock without 2 x 8 pin connectors?

Hmm they want to make dual core card out of it ?
Apart from underclocked cherry picked ultra lov voltage gtx 470 cores it seems to be impossible.

The 5850 & 5870 were not very good at launch in terms of performance so it's the same case scenario. The cards did have 3 things going for it though. Price per performance, DX 11 & Eyefinity. AMD's pricing structure is a result of not having much of a choice as they were getting a pretty good beatdown by Nvidia prior to the R800 series. To simplify, they had to undercut the competition to move there product. The same can be said for there CPU line.

I expect the performance of the GTX 470/480 to improve overtime as new revision of drivers are released. Which is a common scenario with GPU's. The difference between the catalyst 9.10 & catalyst 10.3 is very noticable in terms of performance & benchmarks. Give the GTX 470/480 some time to mature & I am certain that the performance from it will justify the price tags.

correction, the 5850 and 5870 were VERY good at launch in terms of performance, which only got better with drivers.

480 - 80$ more than a 5870
470 - 20$ more than a 5850

I seriously hope the performance does justify the price difference and will force ATI to lower their MSRP.
Due to shortage it probably won't happen though.

Last edited:

you must think you are a legend in your own mind.......

and the performance of the nVidia part vs the ATi part thermally is just staggering compared to the actual rendering done....

In for one, and a new Corsair PS. I may treat myself and get the 480. I have never bought a high end GPU at release, and my 8800GTS 512 isn't doing very well in BC2.

Both companies are releasing drivers that will allow both.

While this is true, the one distinction is the AMD boards can support triple monitor with one board. The Fermi boards still only support dual outputs, so a triple monitor setup will require two in SLI.

No talk of release dates. They could at least state a year.
I already have a toaster

5% faster for 25% more cost?

TDP is even higher then the 280w esimate...

epic fail

While this is true, the one distinction is the AMD boards can support triple monitor with one board. The Fermi boards still only support dual outputs, so a triple monitor setup will require two in SLI.

I agree, I think it's ironic that Nvidia's card may have enough memory to run newer titles on 3 monitors at higher AA, while ATI has the actual port (for single card). I wonder if a 2 gig 5870 is far off ?

Disclaimer: I could care less about ati v. nvidia, I want good hardware and a good price.

If the "internal benchmarks" are straight up in game comparisons, these cards will be relevant. More heat will be the downside of better performance.

If the "internal benchmarks" are heavy tessellation featured synthetic benchmarks, and these cards fail to beat the 5850/70 in real game benchmarks, these cards will be equal performance, more heat, and pricier. That's a big no go.

Time will tell, but the specific numbers seem pretty realistic to me.

It will sell. There are still brand loyalists, there are still people that think nVidia is the creator of all videocards, and people with money to blow. Lets hope it does sell decent, so we can have more competition.

470 for me...water cool that bad boy :D

Is that 64 extra sp really worth the 150 bucks though?

Back