First Time Gaming Experience with ATI Eyefinity @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
First Time Gaming Experience with ATI Eyefinity - There has been a lot of talk about getting Eyefinity working with the latest games. We wanted to cover this with the latest and greatest games out in the last couple of weeks. We run Bad Company 2, Supreme Commander 2, and Aliens vs. Predator for the first time and show you what it takes to configure the games for a 3x1 Eyefinity Landscape configuration at 5760x1200.

Last edited:
Good times ahead, indeed. Watching right now. :)

Edit: Yeah, I really appreciate you doing these vids. It really does put my mind at ease since I'm considering doing this eventually. Those games seem to do very well with the Eyefinity setup. I'm sure you can fix that "CrossfireX" badge in the CCC somewhere similar to disabling the "PhysX" and "SLI" visual indicators on Nvidia's control panel.

I thought you were going to play BFBC2 online for some reason, so I was ready to see you get pissed at the server browser and not being able to connect to a server (as I and everyone else who's played has had an issue with at least a few times), lol.

It would be nice to specify what settings all those games were running at and what AA/AF you were using too. I know this wasn't a whole "review", but you know us, right? We always want MOAR!! ;)

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Maybe I missed it, but what were your graphics settings in BC2?

60fps at 5760x1200 is encouraging, too bad I can't fit a 5970 in my case.

Also I'm really liking these video previews / reviews, much better than reading a 10 page review; probably easier for you to produce too.

I love being able to see your experiences with it, but since I'm deaf I don't get any of the speech that accompanies it. Are there any plans to ever hash out a script or subtitles or some such? Not all of us [H]ers can hear, you know.

Thanks again for checking out Eyefinity...I'm probably going to go this route soon and seeing how it has progressed nudges me in that direction even more.

First time I've ever looked at that type of setup.That is quite interesting.

When I first saw the glitch with Bad Company 2, my first thought was "A Battlefield game with bricked widescreen functionality? Seems familiar!) Good to know it was a minor glitch and you were able to get it running.

Definitely don't like that persistent ATI logo though.

All games were using "auto" settings. All I touched was the resolution. Public 10.2 driver.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

You can turn off the logo by right-clicking on CCC in the tray and finding the option in CrossfireX settings.

Never have seen it so big like that. Thanks for the heads up on th CCC option.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

You're welcome.

Enjoyed the video too, good to see that Eyefinity works well with recent releases

I have always wondered if the bezel would get in the way when gaming with multiple monitors. From the video I can tell that they are a non-issue. Looks good....ATI has really done good job with the 5k cards.

I am still going to wait and see what Fermi does before buying anything. Not to mention I will have to find out about driver support in Linux. In the past ATI has been crap within Linux. I need multigpu support as well as mobile gpu support in Linux before I consider buying ATI.

But given how awesome everything else is I might give ATI another shot....we will see.

First, I don't think you have tested any of those games with different cards.to see how they scale. So we don;t know what the performance would be without eyefinity. I really would love to see how BF 2 plays and scales with CPU and GPU. I am a huge BF fan. But in the process of saving up to buy a new computer. Secondly what CPU are you using? How much RAM? You just started up the games you did not really play them to see how many frames you get on average during scenes of heavy combat. I really just want more!:eek:

In addition please get some water before doing a video review the tongue smacking is just killing my ears!:confused:

You can turn off the logo by right-clicking on CCC in the tray and finding the option in CrossfireX settings.

That's good to know, that would have been a deal breaker on the immersion factor. The option must be there purely for marketing purposes such as demonstration setups at stores or conventions.

Also, Kyle, where can we download that kickass desktop wallpaper?:D

Hay Kyle, was wondering what monitors you were using in your setup?
Once again, great vid and thank you.

Mar

Is it just me or does it seem like Kyle has less and less hair on his face every time he does a new video?

;)

Thanks Kyle for the review with new games. Playing Aliens now so it was interesting to see how much more you see in the game with 3 monitors. Might have to think about getting 3 monitors now.

Whoever coded that crossfire x logo musta have been drunk\stoned at the time, much too large and really... you'd think it would fade away after a couple of minutes. Pretty lame piece of work compared to the nvidia sli indicator. =/

Think it can be disabled by rightclicking the ati logo at the bottom right and theres some sub menu for it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video. Wouldn't mind seeing some more gameplay of bc2 on that eyefinity setup. Looks outstanding!

I love being able to see your experiences with it, but since I'm deaf I don't get any of the speech that accompanies it. Are there any plans to ever hash out a script or subtitles or some such? Not all of us [H]ers can hear, you know.

Thanks again for checking out Eyefinity...I'm probably going to go this route soon and seeing how it has progressed nudges me in that direction even more.

I am not sure we have the resources to do that at this time.

I have always wondered if the bezel would get in the way when gaming with multiple monitors. From the video I can tell that they are a non-issue.

The bezels are not an issue for almost all folks that have actually used the technology.

First, I don't think you have tested any of those games with different cards.to see how they scale. So....

I don't think you understand the focus of the video. Please read the intro again, we spell it out for you.

Hay Kyle, was wondering what monitors you were using in your setup?
Once again, great vid and thank you.

Mar

Dell U2410

What are your full rig spec Kyle?

Core i7 920 at 3.6GHz
12GB Corsair DDR3 at 1440MHz
ASUS P6T6 Workstation Revolution
ATI 5970

That's the basics...

Thanks Kyle for the review with new games. Playing Aliens now so it was interesting to see how much more you see in the game with 3 monitors. Might have to think about getting 3 monitors now.

Oh yeah, you can see a LOT more of the scenery. I put it back in portrait mode, and SupCom2 is rocking at 3600x1920.

Good to see new games with eyefinity support out of the box. Anything that gives PC gaming a leg up is good in my book.

Thanks for the video. I bought my U2410s after I saw you using them and I'll most likely be buying an ATI card very soon and ditching my SLI GTX285s. Just want to see what NVIDIA has to offer as far as 3 monitor setups go...

Kyle do you know of any issues with running games in windowed mode and getting crossfire 5870s?

My last foray into ATi cards was with the 4870 which did not go into 3d mode with windowed mode when it was first released.

Also does the 10.2/3 drivers support eyefinity crossfire with 5870s now?

I do believe 10.2 bought crossfire support (dual 5870s or better) for eyefinity. 10.3 should bring bezel compensation also.

and see just how easy it was now day to get Eyefinity up and running

First sentence of second paragraph in the article needs reworded. Maybe it should be "now a days".

That looks cool. One day hopefully I could get an eyefinity setup. On a side note, I think 3x1 landscape is best for fps and racers while 3x1 portrait is best for strategy games.

eighteen hun worth of monitors, maybe two grand with taxes! guess I better start kissing up to my wife now for this setup.... :p

Kyle, you are being overly tolerant in saying "it all works well"
1. All three games had a huge ATI logo covering a large portion of the screen the whole time, totally unacceptable!

Aside from that:
2. Alien vs Predator worked perfectly. Except for a low frame rate (that was some definite lag there).
3. Supreme commander had unacceptable and unusable HUD placement.
4. Bad Company 2 was a little difficult to setup, but thats not a big deal. However we never actually saw the in game experience so I can't tell what possible problems what have cropped up (example, unusable HUD placement)

Kyle, you are being overly tolerant in saying "it all works well"
1. All three games had a huge ATI logo covering a large portion of the screen the whole time, totally unacceptable!

Aside from that:
2. Alien vs Predator worked perfectly. Except for a low frame rate (that was some definite lag there).
3. Supreme commander had unacceptable and unusable HUD placement.
4. Bad Company 2 was a little difficult to setup, but thats not a big deal. However we never actually saw the in game experience so I can't tell what possible problems what have cropped up (example, unusable HUD placement)

I simply went with these being the last "3 big games" as I see it.

1. If you RTFT, you will see that is easily toggled off. My ignorance in the way there.

2. I did not tweak for performance, all "out of the box" experience.

3. Yes that is correct, and I would suggest playing on a 3x1 landscape is not acceptable either. Just spent an hour playing on my 3x1 portrait and it was rather spiffy. :)

4. BF2 worked great. I played for a good while the other night and don't recall anything being "wrong."

If I am being "overly tolerant" I would suggest console gaming might be more your style.

eighteen hun worth of monitors, maybe two grand with taxes! guess I better start kissing up to my wife now for this setup.... :p

You can do the smaller Dells for $630 for all three. For widescreen, these 24s may be a bit big. But for Portrait they are perfect.

It's great to start seeing eyefinity support beyond just having the resolutions selectable. AvP and BC2 are taking a great step by playing movies on the center monitor to preserve aspect ratio, as well as have the HUD on the center screen for 'visual ergonomics.'

I think the next step is to have more control over FOV for single camera and/or the ability to render the screens separately with multiple cameras for giving a true seamless, surround gaming experience. iRacing is a good example of this. Built into the game, it accounts for bezel thickness as well as the angle between the monitors, and renders each monitor separately to create a near perfect viewing experience.

I was impressed to see the cinematic movies in BFBC2 using the side screens. Makes it that much more immersive imo. I likey. :)

Ya, probably what I'll end up with in the end // was looking at new egg and sorda hard to purchase a monitor without looking at it first. Thanks for the info Kyle.

Mar

Kyle,

Thanks for the video. The games do look pretty darn good...

What's the latest word on the active adapters? Is ATI still in line to come out with a "standardized" adapter for Eyefinity?

Thanks,

Liquid Cool

Back