Samsung PX2370

Beerz101

n00b
Been looking at monitors getting one for my xbox in the next month or so. I came across a Samsung monitor that comes out in April and was wondering what you guys thought about it.
It's the PX2370.

Great just when I was about to pick up the XL2370! At first glance it looks the same as the XL2370 only squarer and it looks like it sits higher on the stand even boasting the same stats. Here is a blurb:

Samsung will reveal its new high-tech LED monitor 'PX2370' featuring a transparent TV stand neck with the concept of 'Floating Design'. Adopting an illumination intensity sensor 'Magic Lux' on the front panel and 'Magic Angle' function to enlarge viewing angle, the PX2370 supports mega dynamic contrast ratio, 2ms response time, full HD resolution and 16:9 wide aspect ratio.

I'm curious what this 'Magic Angle' function is? Might the stand support more tilting angles than it's XL2370 cousin or is it talking about something else entirely? Is this monitor worth waiting for over an XL2370 and what will the retail price be and how will it affect the XL2370?

I've been looking at this monitor as well. The only thing that really gets me about tn panels are the viewing angles. I wonder how this magic angle will work?

Upon further research this monitor is supposed to hit the market at a retail price of $370us which will likely translate to around $500can. Are you fucking kidding me? And here I thought spending $400 for a TN panel was absurd!!

So, although it would be wrong to claim that LED backlighting has no advantages,those advantages do not affect the image quality. The only indubitable high of LED-based monitors is their lower power consumption, but their image quality won’t be any better until the manufacturers switch from the white edge backlight to other technologies. And I have doubts that this will occur in near future because edge backlighting is cheap while the more advanced alternatives are far more expensive.

Summing it up, you should only deliberately look for a LED-based monitor if you care about power consumption. Otherwise, you should base your choice on other parameters, ignoring the type of backlight altogether.

So if LED is cheap to produce and offers no picture quality advantage how can Samsung justify charging $500 when TN panels can be had for sub $200?? At that price we are into HD TV territory and don't believe for a second the reported 5,000,000:1 contrast ratio, when the actual static ratio will be less than 1,000:1. I paid just over $200 for my Dell 2209wa and it has better contrast, picture quality and viewing angles. I was really excited for this over-priced monitor but from this day forth I will be boycotting all Samsung products. Price gouging is not the way to encourage brand loyalty and if Samsung took a minute to stop fleecing their customers and assess the situation they'd actually realize that the world might be in a, you know... recession.

will you be able to wall mount the PX2370?

This monitor does not support vesa compatibility. Besides, the last thing you want to be doing is wall mounting a TN panel.

I've been looking at this monitor as well. The only thing that really gets me about tn panels are the viewing angles. I wonder how this magic angle will work?

Magic Angle is some kind of design tech that Samsung is incorporating into their HD TVs which is supposed to increase viewing angles but...it's still a TN panel.

Whats the best type of panel for gaming?

Low response time and input lag are the main criteria for a gaming monitor and TN panels tend to be lowest in those areas vs other panel types.

Bryson, not to be taken offensively but SHIT OR GET OR GET OFF THE POT. Best Buy lets you return the monitor within 30 days, so buy the XL2370, calibrate it using its controls and Nvidia/ATI control panels, take the Digital Vibrance to around 72% in NV Control panel, PLAY THE HELL OUT OF IT with multiple games over multiple days. Adjust the the hell out of it. Try playing games on Fast, FASTER, FASTEST modes. Adjust the touch controls. Have fun with it. If you don't like, take it back!

All these M-PVA, H-IPS, E-IPS, LED TN, TN EI EI FREAKIN O's are gonna be irrelavent now that LG has their OLED plant moving along with mass production set for next year. Me, I am going to enjoy this monitor till OLED's are in the 24" market for under $600. Which I really believe is gonna be sooner than later now that blue color can be made to last over 10,000 hrs. which was the main thing holding OLED back. (Like anyone watches 10,000 hrs. of T.V., Game time in a life time.)

Out of all this 120hz bullshit, 3D bullshit which is all way overpriced Bullshit, till they make shutterless glasses for Home 3D, the only thing that will be left will be Eyefinity. My point is, don't buy into the 120hz shit either. We have been gaming at 60hz-75hz, and no one was complaining, it was only noticable when 3D gaming came into play. yeah, $160 glasses+$300-400 monitor. Thats feesable for the mass public to buy into. Not.

Low response time, beautiful picture, and very low input lag make the XL2370 a very good gaming monitor on the PC. Consoles are for larger HDTV's, stay off the damn monitors. :p

Don't buy into the marketing crap . Get 3 for Eyefinity and save the enviroment in the process. :)

Sooo... I go to bestbuy to pick up the xl2370, take the box, look at it, and wahhhh, it's the PX2370. I asked them about it -> they CHECKED it out online since they had no idea what it was except they had just got them -> which lead to them taking one of the two boxes and putting it onto display.

Basically, I leave with a PX2370 for about +$10 more than the XL2370, hah. It looks like the panel can actually tilt back and forth unlike the XL (right? something like that) and new edges make it look -bigger- than the XL, oddly enough.

There weren't any XL when I went into BB just now (wanted to compare it to the 23" LG LED monitor), but they were unpacking these PX2370s so I walked out with one of these instead.

Is it worth opening Eidahl? :)

It's prettttttyyyyy.... (it was so bright when I first started it up that my eyes were watering o_O )

EDIT: Does anyone know what happened to that 'proximity' sensor that it was supposed to have?

Last edited:
Eidahl - No idea on the prox sensor. I thought it might be tied into the MagicLux setting, but I haven't been in front of the monitor enough to see if it actually changes as the day does. I can't really figure out what the MagicAngle feature in the OSD is doing either. It cranks contrast/brightness depending on the setting, but that doesn't make the images look any better from an angle lol.

After playing with this monitor for a night and a morning, and not sure I can go from an IPS (Dell 20") to TN panel. I like to adjust in my chair (lean back, forward, side to side) and it annoys me that colors are constantly changing because of that.

The colors are amazing (when sitting straight up). The brightness is ridiculous. There's no visible ghosting and input lag seems nonexistent.

Still, if BB will take an open monitor back without charging me a restocking fee I may consider returning it and grabbing that NEC LCD that everyone in this forum raves about.

None of the 3 Bestbuys near me had any of these and only 1 had the xl2370. They had about 10 of them. I really wanted to check the px2370 out. I saw the new lg led lcd. I am not a big fan of LGs styling.

We need some pics please!!!!!

There weren't any XL when I went into BB just now (wanted to compare it to the 23" LG LED monitor), but they were unpacking these PX2370s so I walked out with one of these instead.

Is it worth opening Eidahl? :)

Are you sure you didn't walk out with a P2370HD? The PX2370 isn't even released yet.

Are you sure you didn't walk out with a P2370HD? The PX2370 isn't even released yet.

My local Best Buy definitely has the PX2370 in stock. I was in my local store yesterday (Charlotte, NC area) and saw one set up on display. They had 3 of them sitting on the shelf right under it.

It looked pretty nice - far better than the LG LED display they had set up next to it. Of course, there are so many variables in the store that it's hard to tell which one would really be better.

Again, pics are crap but you should get the idea. It should be noted that I have Magic Lux (auto-bright/dimmer that supposedly adjusts based on ambient light) set on medium sensitivity for these shots.

This is the display head-on without any Magic Angle setting enabled.

This is the display head-on with the Magic Angle Lean Back 2 setting enabled.

I'm assuming that if you were to lean wayyyy back the image would look the same as it does in the above pic.

I wasn't able to really capture Leaning Back Mode on camera, so I did the same thing but with the Standing Mode setting enabled in Magic Angle.

This is a head-on image of the PX2370 with the Standing Mode setting enabled.

This is the PX2370 with Standing Mode enabled... while standing.

For the comparisons sake, this is the PX2370 with Magic Angle disabled but from the standing POV.

I've had the PX2370 for 3? days now and I have some thoughts on it.

Styling wise, it looks gorgeous. It's super thin and just attractive overall. The stand, however, is absolute crap. Yes it looks good, and yes it does its job, but once you start using the OSD buttons you'll notice just how flimsy it really is. The OSD buttons are another issue as well. They are legit buttons (not touch sensitive!) and located on the back of the lower right part of the panel. The bezel around the outer portion of this LCD is a glossy plastic. Because of how flimsy the stand is, you'll end up having to hold the LCD in place while making adjustments via the OSD. This leads to finger/palm prints on the glossy plastic.

The panel itself is incredibly bright on default settings. Colors really pop out at you. Watching Kung-Fu Panda or Pirates of the Caribbean in BluRay on this thing is amazing. There's absolutely no ghosting (I had noticed a tiny bit on my old Dell 2007WFP but got used to it over time) at all here. If there is any input lag, it's not noticeable either. Head-on it's an absolutely gorgeous display.

Was it worth $309.99 (plus tax and an extended warranty that made it cost nearly $400)? Probably not. Will I keep it instead of returning it for an NEC EA231WMi? Not sure yet. Decisions decisions...

Last edited:
I'm not able to find any stores online that have the PX2370 for sale. Even the Samsung website doesn't have it listed in the products section.

What is the wattage when in use? Do you have a full specs sheet?

Skully: Have you managed to find the power button on this thing?

I was looking to pick up an XL2370, but my local BB didn't have any -- they did, however, have two of the PX2370s, and for a whopping $10 price difference I decided to go for it.

The monitor works great, but for the life of me I can't find the power button. There's a power symbol and a light to go with it at the bottom center of the monitor where it connects to the stand, and that's where the manual says the button is -- but I've tried pressing it, touching it, swiping it, just about every way I can think of to manipulate it, and it does nothing. I simply can't turn this monitor off without unplugging it. Maybe I've got a defective button? I called Samsung about it, but they had nothing on the monitor since it wasn't supposed to be out yet, and couldn't help me with it; I'm debating whether to take it back as defective.

Skully: Have you managed to find the power button on this thing?

I was looking to pick up an XL2370, but my local BB didn't have any -- they did, however, have two of the PX2370s, and for a whopping $10 price difference I decided to go for it.

The monitor works great, but for the life of me I can't find the power button. There's a power symbol and a light to go with it at the bottom center of the monitor where it connects to the stand, and that's where the manual says the button is -- but I've tried pressing it, touching it, swiping it, just about every way I can think of to manipulate it, and it does nothing. I simply can't turn this monitor off without unplugging it. Maybe I've got a defective button?

LOL.

Yeah that's the power button. It's touch sensitive, so you don't need to jam it or anything like that. I barely even touch it to be honest and mine cuts on and off. Yours may very well be defective.

How are you liking it so far? The more I sit in front of this thing, the more I think I'm just going to keep it. :confused:

Yeah, it's a great monitor, and I'm loving the picture quality. Guess I'll just have to take it back this weekend and get one that has a working power button, cause mine is definitely not working. Other than that though, it's fantastic.

Can either of you confirm that this thing goes to sleep when using HDMI. The xl2370 would just keep cycling through the inputs after the computer put it to sleep. It is a pretty common compaint. Worked fine usint dvi. I sure hope this doesn't have the same problem. I am thinking about selling my 2209wa and getting this monitor. I really want a higher resolution screen.

LOL.

Yeah that's the power button. It's touch sensitive, so you don't need to jam it or anything like that. I barely even touch it to be honest and mine cuts on and off. Yours may very well be defective.

How are you liking it so far? The more I sit in front of this thing, the more I think I'm just going to keep it. :confused:

ROFL. I was too embarrassed to say it earlier, but I had trouble turning it on at first too. Tried pressing hard down onto the damn 'power' button until I simply tapped it very lightly and watched it flicker on. :D
Your previous post gave me an idea.. I really want to check this out with my bluray player, huhm... it'll be a smackdown, pioneer 6020 vs samsung px2370. Though, the 1080p hubble3d trailer looked great.

Last edited:
Can either of you confirm that this thing goes to sleep when using HDMI. The xl2370 would just keep cycling through the inputs after the computer put it to sleep. It is a pretty common compaint. Worked fine usint dvi. I sure hope this doesn't have the same problem. I am thinking about selling my 2209wa and getting this monitor. I really want a higher resolution screen.

Not going back to the NEC panel? I read all 50+ pages of that thread today and towards the end the backlight/color uniformity panel lottery got me pretty shook about returning this Samsung. :(

I'll try to toy around with HDMI sleep tomorrow night with my PS3. Did autosource need to be on or off for this test?

Not going back to the NEC panel? I read all 50+ pages of that thread today and towards the end the backlight/color uniformity panel lottery got me pretty shook about returning this Samsung. :(

I'll try to toy around with HDMI sleep tomorrow night with my PS3. Did autosource need to be on or off for this test?
I honestly don't remember.

I'm not totally sure yet I want to buy this monitor. There are 3 bestbuys within 40 mins of me. Hopefully one of them will get it in soon. Maybe buy this weekend so I can check it out. Its just that this monitor is so sexy looking by the pics. Can't wait to see it in person. :) I don't know. I just wished I could afford to have them all.:p

@ wagsrules - You definitely need to go see this monitor in person (soon) so that you can tell me whether it's better than the 23" NEC or not! I'm leaving my monitor purchase decision in your hands. :D

@ wagsrules - You definitely need to go see this monitor in person (soon) so that you can tell me whether it's better than the 23" NEC or not! I'm leaving my monitor purchase decision in your hands. :D

Hopefully they have them in stock by this weekend. Although I can tell you that for watching movies and other uses off angle the Nec is going to be better. The magic angle thing looks like a joke to me when you have to change a setting everytime you want to use it off angle. The Nec will clearly be better at the same price. The only reason I want the px2370 is the styling and thinness. Trust me you will be happy with the Nec.

Its $327.99 free shipping. This is where I bought the one I had. I recommend them.
Or 315.99 at amazon. They are also great. Their return policy is great.

Last edited:

Well I went to bestbuy hoping they would have gotten the px2370 in. Well they didn't so as of now I haven't seen it. So how are you liking it? You get used to the viewing angles?

I want to also check out the new HP zr22w. It is a 22" 1080p IPS that just got released. I want to read some reviews. It lists for 289 so maybe it will drive the nec down also.

Well I went to bestbuy hoping they would have gotten the px2370 in. Well they didn't so as of now I haven't seen it. So how are you liking it? You get used to the viewing angles?

I want to also check out the new HP zr22w. It is a 22" 1080p IPS that just got released. I want to read some reviews. It lists for 289 so maybe it will drive the nec down also.

Still not in stock eh? They didn't have them setup when I went and bought mine; I more or less pulled it out of a brown shipping box and said "ring me up".

It's a very ok display. I don't think it was worth the premium I paid for the LED factor when there are IPS-based monitors in a similar price range. I've got pretty significant bleed over the bottom right corner of the screen that's very distracting while watching movies and playing dark games. The top of the [H] forum is darker than the bottom. Whites seem to have a blue-ish tint to them. If this was a $150-250 monitor I probably wouldn't complain, but at $309 I just expected more.

It's going back this week and I'll more than likely order the HP ZR24W, though the ZR22W may work as well since I now have a 47" LCD TV behind me to stream my movies to.

Still not in stock eh? They didn't have them setup when I went and bought mine; I more or less pulled it out of a brown shipping box and said "ring me up".

It's a very ok display. I don't think it was worth the premium I paid for the LED factor when there are IPS-based monitors in a similar price range. I've got pretty significant bleed over the bottom right corner of the screen that's very distracting while watching movies and playing dark games. The top of the [H] forum is darker than the bottom. Whites seem to have a blue-ish tint to them. If this was a $150-250 monitor I probably wouldn't complain, but at $309 I just expected more.

It's going back this week and I'll more than likely order the HP ZR24W, though the ZR22W may work as well since I now have a 47" LCD TV behind me to stream my movies to.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I wouldn't be happy with it. I may just keep the 2209wa for now. The zr24w is a great choice from what has been said about it so far. But 24 in is just to big for me at home, but it would be great to have it at work. Currently use my old 2007wfp and picked up a second used here for a dual setup. I want some reviews on the zr22w.

@wagsrules

I too am surprised that you are interested in the PX2370 over the EA231WMi. I returned my XL2370 yesterday. It didn't take me very long to know that this monitor was going back. At first the viewing angles were annoying and it had severe backlight bleeding. Kind of hard to have dark blacks when the panel is leaking light like a sieve and I like my inky blacks!

This was 2 weeks ago and I never gave it much thought until yesterday when I hooked up my xbox and did some PC gaming. WOW! On dynamic this thing is popping. Games like Geometry Wars were MADE for this montior LOL.In fact it was too bright and vibrant so I'm not sure if I would be able to tolerate long gaming sessions on that setting. Anyways, I was surprised with how easily I was making some incredible shots. I don't know if it was because of the clarity, low response time and input lag or just a placebo effect. This is compared to a 2209wa which is no slouch either! I like the 2209wa's color, dark blacks and the fact that it can do anything I want. It's a real beast of a monitor. I just wish it was a little bigger.

I wasn't expecting to be swayed by the XL2370 and if it didn't have any backlight bleeding(neither of my dell's 2209wa or S2309W had any) then I might have very well kept it. I like styling of the XL2370 over the PX2370 myself but I may give that one a shot. Hopefuly we can get a review of it sometime soon.

Does anyone have an XL2370 or PX2370 without any backlight bleeding or do they all have some?

@wagsrules

I too am surprised that you are interested in the PX2370 over the EA231WMi. I returned my XL2370 yesterday. It didn't take me very long to know that this monitor was going back. At first the viewing angles were annoying and it had severe backlight bleeding. Kind of hard to have dark blacks when the panel is leaking light like a sieve and I like my inky blacks!

This was 2 weeks ago and I never gave it much thought until yesterday when I hooked up my xbox and did some PC gaming. WOW! On dynamic this thing is popping. Games like Geometry Wars were MADE for this montior LOL.In fact it was too bright and vibrant so I'm not sure if I would be able to tolerate long gaming sessions on that setting. Anyways, I was surprised with how easily I was making some incredible shots. I don't know if it was because of the clarity, low response time and input lag or just a placebo effect. This is compared to a 2209wa which is no slouch either! I like the 2209wa's color, dark blacks and the fact that it can do anything I want. It's a real beast of a monitor. I just wish it was a little bigger.

I wasn't expecting to be swayed by the XL2370 and if it didn't have any backlight bleeding(neither of my dell's 2209wa or S2309W had any) then I might have very well kept it. I like styling of the XL2370 over the PX2370 myself but I may give that one a shot. Hopefuly we can get a review of it sometime soon.

Does anyone have an XL2370 or PX2370 without any backlight bleeding or do they all have some?

I just really like the styling of the px2370. I owned an ea231wmi but had to sell it back in Dec for short term cashflow reasons. I wished I would have just kept it. I have the 2209wa which I got for 212. Its a great monitor at that price but I really want the 1080p. I am looking at the hp zr22w but am waiting till someone gets and shares their experience with it.

I just want to test the px2370 out for a bit. :p I know I won't be happy with the tn panel so I probably won't bother after reading some of the complaints with this monitor and the xl2370 which I had and returned before the nec.

But for the same price as the nec I would rather get that over the px2370.

I just picked one of these up today. You can pretty much see where the led lights are on the button portion of the screen. It's kind of annoying, I'm going to mess with the settings a bit now.
The styling of the monitor is very nice.

Hey guys, I just signed up to post this!

I'm seriously considering buying the PX2370 but hotspots/light bleed are absolute show stoppers for me. Especially after a good 4 hours of use or so. So I'll echo what Bryson said - I'm also very interested in hearing if anyone else sees this, or if it's just a fluke thing with that one monitor.

Right now I have 2 Dell 1905FP's and the blacks on those are pretty awesome! But I'm hoping the PX2370 will be a decent upgrade.

This was 2 weeks ago and I never gave it much thought until yesterday when I hooked up my xbox and did some PC gaming. WOW! On dynamic this thing is popping.
@Bryson Which monitor were you referring to here? And when would you not want to use the dynamic setting? Does it even let you even toggle between the two?

I'm also curious if the proximity / auto-off sensor requires any driver installation. You shouldn't even need to touch the power button, from what I remember reading.

Thanks a bunch, looking forward to see how you guys like it.

Last edited:
Hi all,after reading the revieuws of the xl2370,i went to the store to buy it,but i didnt like it.
Then i saw the px2370 and it look much better then xl so i bought it,but i saw a light cloud in the middel
of my screen, so i send it back,last week i was in a store and saw a EIZO EV2313WH also a tn panel.
not so nice looking as the px but no backlight bleeding at all,I will try to find revieuws of it maybe this will be my monitor .sry for my bad english.Greetings all.

@Bryson Which monitor were you referring to here? And when would you not want to use the dynamic setting? Does it even let you even toggle between the two?

I was refering to the XL2370 in that post. I much like you, am willing to put up with the poor viewing angles of a TN panel but backlight bleeding for me is indeed a show stopper. I've read many reports of backlight bleeding with these monitors and the reason for that is because they are edge-lit. Sure they look slim and sexy but offer more problems than traditional backlit CCFL. I've read rumors that the PX2370 is actually Full Array LED backlit but I highly doubt that unless someone has confirmation to the contrary. I'm tempted to try my luck again with a PX2370 but if I can't even get 1 confirmation of a monitor that exists without backlight bleeding it seems almost pointless.

As for the dynamic setting. Yes it can be toggled. You have different presets like Cinema, Internet and even Custom. Dynamic can be cool for gaming and movies depending on preference but it's definately too bright for general day to day use and internet surfing.

I've read rumors that the PX2370 is actually Full Array LED backlit but I highly doubt that unless someone has confirmation to the contrary. I'm tempted to try my luck again with a PX2370 but if I can't even get 1 confirmation of a monitor that exists without backlight bleeding it seems almost pointless.

Ah, interesting. Yeah, it would be nice to hear at least one person who didn't experience the bleeding!

And thanks for the info on the dynamic setting.

Another random question: does anyone know how quickly the display actually turns on after touching the power button (or after the proximity sensor picks up movement)? I know with some displays you can wait around for like 3 seconds while it warms up.

Back