Best Buy: XFX 4890 $149.99 in store YMMV

Low Roller

[H]ard|Gawd
This isn't showing up on BB's web site, but my local BB has XFX 4890's 1GB GDDR5 on clearance.

Picked one up for myself. YMMV.

Edit: The price is actually $125.99 now

Model # HD-489X-ZS

Last edited:
Stealing this info from Slickdeals:

SKU: 9566025

Models: A couple people posted that they got ZSFR or ZSFC.

Gah. Thinking about getting a pair to get me over the hump here. Waiting for fermi and 2GB 58xx cards is killing me.

Just thought that I should mention that this is a great price, but a terrible overclocker. I bought two of them myself when I worked there and they won't overclock at all. Well that's not entirely true, I could take one from 850 to 885 without losing stability, but that's it. Damn cheap pcb.

Cheap PCB, quieter cooler, but zero contact with the RAM or VRMs. As stated previously, not much OC potential.

These are actually $125 now.

link? and IIRC these are on par with 5770's, other than they use more power right?

oh shit, just got off phone, mansfield,ma has it for $131, they're holding it for me.(they have 2...well 1 now brb)'

*edit just got it, 140 after tax.

Last edited:
Sorry there's no reference that I could find anywhere other than going to/calling up your local BB.

Holy crap. Super hot if you can find these. I'll check my store, and if we have any or can order some I'll post up here. We had a bunch of the 4850's but we didn't get very many 4890's.

whats the nvidia equivalent of the 4890's? I'm thinking of getting a pair of these for crossfire for bc2 and selling my gtx285.

I would say the 285 and 4890 are close.

Checked my local BB, didn't have any :( If I get the chance I may try calling around.

I would say the 285 and 4890 are close.

Checked my local BB, didn't have any :( If I get the chance I may try calling around.

Yeah, the 4890 generally kills the 275 but generally can't quite catch the 285. If iirc the 4890 has something like a 15% lead over the 5770, though I've heard that new drivers have helped the 5770 out.

If you're in Northern Colorado the closest one was in Casper, WY.

I was looking at this or the 5770. I am leaning toward the 5770 though for eyefinity....is it worth it :-/

Would this be an upgrade over a GTX 260?

Yes. Though I'm not sure that it would be a big enough gain to make it worth it. Then again, if you were going to sell your gtx 260, then maybe. The 4890 generally beats the GTX 275 but can't quite catch the GTX 285, so it's definitely better than the 260. http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3658&p=5 That review gives some good comparisons. It is a review of the 5770, but they included many other cards.

None in stock at my two local BB. Boo. And yes, I would have sold my 260. Always looking for an upgarde especially if it wouldn't cost me anything. I've been trying to get a matching 260 and they're going for $150+ on ebay. This would upgrade and I could sell for next to nothing in cost.

got one of these when they first dropped a little while ago. I actually had bought one at 189 and returned it because it didn't clock worth a damn...then it struck me that its a lifetime warranty, grab one...wait a while til 4890 stocks dwindle and then get it replaced...probably with a 5x equivalent or the xxx version of the 4890.

either way it was replacing a 260 and is under a waterblock so it should give me my moneys worth at the very least

smoking deal at this price point. I would also argue better overclocks if you put coverage on the vrm's and ram. will let you know when i get the system fully set up and can push it a bit

just got the last one at bestbuy in san diego miramesa....! :D

I returned the XFX 4850 I bought for 80 something from that last clearance deal!

I got the ZSFR v1.6 for 125.99

sweet deal

Got them at 147.99 + tax... unfortunately there was no price drop to 125.99, but should be a nice upgrade from a 4850 :)

Thanks OP.

Is there any way to check stock online? I cant even find the model listed.

What kind of upgrade would this be over a 512MB 4870? I read the review posted and it seems like not much at all.

Thanks OP.

Is there any way to check stock online? I cant even find the model listed.

What kind of upgrade would this be over a 512MB 4870? I read the review posted and it seems like not much at all.

The higher your resolution the more you'll notice the difference.

They are having this deal in Indiana as well. Bloomington, atleast

I got one a week ago thinking I was going to use it until my 5850 came in a week or 2....I decided to return the 5850 bc this card is a BEAST already! and they OC surprisingly well. If you are waiting on a 5850 I would give this a try, you will see that you can sell this in half a year or so and get a 5850 when it gets a little cheaper. I am running BFBC2 at max right now very smoothly.

Thinking of swinging by to check some bestbuys on way to class tomorrow. Always wanted to try crossfire..

The 2 I have are new in box, not installed - I'm picking and using a different card with a BB coupon, I'm going to be posting both 4890 cards in fs/ft shortly at 140.00 shipped.

If you want one and couldn't get one at your store, PM me if interested.

Back