Bad Company 2 Eyefinity Benchmarks.

hazeion

n00b
Posted this on the official EA forums. thought you guys might like it as well:

I did a benchmark, playing the opening of the game, to the ducking in the field to avoid the japanese patrol. This was done in Eyefinity using a resolution of 5760x1080 Here are my system specs.

CPU: Core i7 920 OC'ed to 4.2ghz
Memory: 6gigs Corsair DDR3 Dominator Ram @1600mhz
Graphics Card: ATi 5850 with 10.2 Catalyst Drivers
Mobo: Asus P6T6 WS Revolution X58
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2494 (3 of them) (Native Res: 1920x1080)

In Game Settings were as follows:

[WindowSettings]
Width=5760
Height=1080
Fullscreen=true
RefreshRate=60 (this setting does not matter when vsync is false)
VSync=false
[Sound]
Quality=high
VoipEnable=true
SpeakerCount=2
[Graphics]
Effects=high
Soldiers=high
Vehicles=high
Overgrowth=high
Undergrowth=high
StaticObjects=high
Terrain=high
Shadows=high
Bloom=true
HSAO=false
MSAA=0
Water=high
MainQuality=custom
Texture=high
DxVersion=9 (changed this for each benchmark)
Aniso=4
Detail=high
RenderAheadLimit=2
Fov=68

Other notes:
To be fair, I turned off HSAO (thought this was HBAO.. odd) for all benchmarks.

The benchmark runs about 5-6 minutes. Starts at the beginning of the game, and runs through to the japanese armored patrol cinematic. This was taken using Fraps

Results:
DX 9 Playthrough:

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
24068, 402441, 11, 89, 59.805

DX 10 Playthrough:

19020, 399854, 11, 76, 47.567

DX 11 Playthrough:

17534, 399449, 10, 82, 43.895

Playing experience:
There was very little difference between all 3 versions visually. DX 11 did have softer shadows, but it was hard to notice while playing. While playing multiplayer, these shadows would be hard to notice with all the stuff that is happening.

HBAO turned on is playable on both the dx 10 and dx 11, however I was hard pressed to notice a difference. While I knew SOMETHING was different, I really couldnt tell what.

Dx10 and 11 allow me to turn on AA, while dx9 does not. I could only go to 2xMSAA before the gameplay got too choppy to be enjoyable. Adjusting other settings to medium helped with this. While in multiplayer, the framerate drop made me less accurate. Playing on 1 monitor, I can have settings maxed, and MSAA set to x4 (HSAO on).

If you have not tried eyefinity, you need to. I thought, like most people, that the bezels would make it way less enjoyable and be annoying. You mentally block those bezels out. It really is something you have to try and experience. The 4 main components of my computer: Graphics Card, CPU, Memory and Mobo came out to about: $1000 (US). The most expensive being the Mobo. You can knock off close to $150 dollars by getting another x58 mobo.

If you decide to just use 1 Monitor, you are going to have extremely high framerates, and playing in dx 10 or 11 in multiplayer will not make a playable difference, while getting the (even small) benefit of the soft shadows, HSAO, and Anti-Aliasing.

That's all I got for you!

Chime in with some of your input! and questions!

UPDATE: 10.3 beta drivers with bezel correction benchmark (dx 11)!

Ok, I Ran the same benchmark with 10.3 beta drivers and bezel correction. Here are the new stats

keep in mind the resolution actually increased to 6048x1080 due to the bezel correction:

Dx 11 Playthrough, with 10.3 beta drivers

18357, 395656, 13, 91, 46.396

While the average only moved up 3 fps. you will notice I got a higher min and max frame. I have the csv files, which I can use to plot out all of the frames. to really see the difference. It is about a 10% increase. ALSO running at a higher resolution (considering the bezel correction). The card is pushing 5% MORE pixels due to the bezel correction, and getting about a 5% increase on average. The game felt noticeably smoother throughout the experience as well. I might chart the csv files to see where the improvement was at. It still appears you are going to get the best performance out of dx9, however if you like those nice shadows, dx11 is the way to go. I am pretty happy with the 10.3 drivers.

I am also sold on the bezel correction. I was so use to NOT having it, that I didn't want those blindspots. However if you thought, the bezels don't bother you without the correction, your brain makes an even faster adjustment with the bezel correction.

All in all, the game is performing well. Although, It doesn't use too much Dx11 features. I still may play Dx9 for multiplayer (however I do get some bad texture flicker.. haven't checked this with 10.3 beta drivers).

Bottom Line: If you have a Dx10 card, play in Dx9. If you have an ATi 5800 series card with Dx11 and a decent system to back it up, you will have a slightly better single player experience due to the better quality shadows. 10.3 drivers are shaping up to be really good. They also fixed my ATi Overdriver flicker issue I was having. Which is a godsend to me.

That is all I got for you guys!

Last edited:
my documents/bfbc2/settings.ini

there is a line DxVersion=auto change that to Dxversion=9

also if you notice maps seem extremely bright in game, you can turn off bloom by making that line in there "false"

Keep in mind you can also adjust the Fov. but it is Fov Vert. So if you like an FOV of about 100 or so. 68 or 70. There is a fov calculator for bc2 on the official forums.

my documents/bfbc2/settings.ini

there is a line DxVersion=auto change that to Dxversion=9

also if you notice maps seem extremely bright in game, you can turn off bloom by making that line in there "false"

Keep in mind you can also adjust the Fov. but it is Fov Vert. So if you like an FOV of about 100 or so. 68 or 70. There is a fov calculator for bc2 on the official forums.

Right now I'm comfortable with the default FOV in eyefinity. The brightness - I noticed that the in game brightness slider was defaulted to 69 (no idea why)... changing it to 50 made things fine for me.

I'll have to try Dx9 mode since I want all the frames I can get in MP.

We're still 3 hours away from unlocking here in the UK so I can't comment on the retail version.

Those framerates are really encouraging. That's a gigantic performance leap from the beta client. There was absolutely no way I could run the beta at 5760x1080, everything full, 2xAA, 16xAF HBAO off, at anything approaching 60fps, on a 5970 card.

hmm

you got me thinking about eyefinity now
maybe I'll just suck it up and buy the adapter

Oh I just noticed you're using the 10.2 drivers?

The 10.3 supposedly have a huge boost in DX11 performance. As much as 15-20% in Dirt2. Not sure if this is over the 10.2's or the 9.12's as I skipped the 10.2's completely.

Also, bezel management rocks socks off. Definitely use the 10.3's!

EDIT: Just played the first 4 levels of the campaign. This game looks awesome in Eyefinity! I did drop down to 5040x900 though, to keep up a consistent 60fps on a 5970.

Last edited:
I just tried Dx9 mode... my FPS rarely dipped below 60 in MP... but the shadows are noticeably worse, they're very pixelated for me...

ive gotten so use to the bezel split im almost scared to do bezel management! hehe I would hate to have guys in that blind spot. I will give it a shot, and do some more benchmarks soon.

Where do you guys get the beta 10.3's from? I remember them being on an ATi Website somewhere.

yeah.. the 10.3 drivers are the best set from ATI yet for the 58xx cards for me.

I get between 38 and 70 fps at 6064x1080 in the single player game, maxed out settings, HBAO off and 1x MSAA.. I'd say average is in the high 40s to low 50s

I'm thinking about getting a second 5870, but this is very playable.. I get another 10 fps if I drop down to 5052x900, but I like playing at 6064x1080.

Bezel correction is an awesome feature.. so glad to have it now.

My brother just played some multiplayer with SoftTH (he just had to have triple head after seeing my eyefinity setup:cool:) and the server (or punkbuster to be more exact) booted him for "running multiple direct3D"...

Haven't had any boots due to eyefinity myself.

I'm still running in Dx9 mode for multiplayer since I feel that having a consistent 60 fps or higher is more crucial to MP. I did notice that while in the overhead view of the battlefield (while you're choosing where to spawn etc.) and during the "your team has lost/won" scenes, there's massive texture flickering. However, as soon as I spawn and actually play all the flickering's gone.

Why did you stop the benchmark at the point of the japanese patrol? After that is when the shit really hits the fan with the destructable buildings and explosions that rock your socks.
The FPS jump you got going to 10.3 is pretty good specially since you jumped up the resolutoin for bezel management. I'll have to install the 10.3 drivers and see what kinda improvements I get.

Last edited:
Do you guys think I would get better FPS by going TriFireX? I have a I7 920 @ 4.0Ghz 6gb ram @1600Mhz and two HD 5870's at 900 Core 1280 Memory. On my eyefinity setup running 5760 X 1200 I get about 60-80FPS average and as low as 25-30 in some super heavy fights. This is running everything on high with MSAA on 1x, Aniso 1x, and HSAO off.

Do you guys think I would get better FPS by going TriFireX? I have a I7 920 @ 4.0Ghz 6gb ram @1600Mhz and two HD 5870's at 900 Core 1280 Memory. On my eyefinity setup running 5760 X 1200 I get about 60-80FPS average and as low as 25-30 in some super heavy fights. This is running everything on high with MSAA on 1x, Aniso 1x, and HSAO off.

I know how you feel. My 5970 just isn't enough to keep those <60fps dips from happening and I really notice them. BC2 is just the best looking, best online game I've played in a long time I'd love to be able to whack the rez up to 6048x1080 and switch on HBAO.

Right now I've settled for HBAO off, 4xAA, 16xAF and 5040x900. It's mostly 60-80fps.

You might want to increase your AF to 16. There's barely any performance hit and I would imagine your textures look like lumpy porridge at 1xAF.

Tri-fire Eyefinity doesn't work.. at all, according to posts I've read on the H video card forums.

I know how you feel. My 5970 just isn't enough to keep those <60fps dips from happening and I really notice them. BC2 is just the best looking, best online game I've played in a long time I'd love to be able to whack the rez up to 6048x1080 and switch on HBAO.

Right now I've settled for HBAO off, 4xAA, 16xAF and 5040x900. It's mostly 60-80fps.

You might want to increase your AF to 16. There's barely any performance hit and I would imagine your textures look like lumpy porridge at 1xAF.

Tri-fire Eyefinity doesn't work.. at all, according to posts I've read on the H video card forums.

Thanks for the feedback. That sucks to hear. I have seen a few reviews where 3 HD 5870's gave a huge bump in some games on a 30" LCD. But none realy with Eyefinity. I will try changing the AF to 16 and see how it runs. Maybe I should also try a tiny voltage bump and overclock my core to 1000. The last thng I was thinking was sell my cards and buy two of the new 2Gb versions coming out soon.

Based on my system in my sig, would upgrading to a 5870 show a considerable raise in avg\min fps?

Back