...and I'm a PC

sed8em

2[H]4U
This is what all (ahem..most) Mac gamers have been waiting for:

4405501834_bd2374bc51_o.jpg

4405501868_a5428c720e_o.jpg

There is a sound pack that will convert sentry sounds to Portal sentry sounds. It makes the TF2 sentry 20x cuter. :)

Thanks! My photoshop fu is weak, anyone here be able to expand that to a 1920x1200? I can try when I get home to copy the gradient just don't know how successful I would be.

Last edited:
Thanks! My photoshop fu is weak, anyone here be able to expand that to a 1920x1200? I can try when I get home to copy the gradient just don't know how successful I would be.

Yes god please I need this as my desktop right now

this is too awesome. I hope that this drives the industry to start porting big titles. I would happily rebuy bc2 for mac.

What cat said.
How nice it would be to not have to boot into Bootcamp or launch Crossover (which I've never found that great personally) to play a game.
Would really like Torchlight to make its way to OS X sooner rather than later.

There are more.

The one that Rock Paper Shotgun receieved:

image-o-matic.x

The one that Shacknews (yay!) received:

154425-valve_3_800.jpg

Macrumors:

image-o-matic.x

Best for last, the one Macworld received:

204931-valve_6.jpg

First the Portal ARG from earlier this week, now these teasers. Valve rules at these!

Last edited:
A person who uses the best operating system on well-designed, aluminum wrapped goodness to play their games.

In all seriousness this is about Steam finally coming to OS X, take Mac vs PC somewhere else, or just drop it for once. I know it's hard but it is possible.

I love all this media. These parodies are too cool.

But honestly, I can only see digital distribution as the only good way to sell Mac compatible games.

I would much prefer a Linux version. :( At least Linux compatible video cards don't have stupid high markup.

I wonder if Valve is going to charge to play games that you already own on Windows for Mac.

So the PC raped the Mac embryo looking thingy and the red dot means it is pregnant?

I'm missing the logic behind this ad for some reason. Can someone explain?

One is a sentry gun from TF2 and one is a sentry from Portal. The Mac looks like a typical Apple design, clean, simple, shiny, white, etc. Basically a piece of high tech art. The other is a PC, upgradable, somewhat hacked together, and not quite as pretty to look at.

A person who uses the best operating system on well-designed, aluminum wrapped goodness to play their games.

In all seriousness this is about Steam finally coming to OS X, take Mac vs PC somewhere else, or just drop it for once. I know it's hard but it is possible.

What i said had nothing to do with mac vs PC just curious wtf a mac gamer is.

I've got a hackintosh with win 7, I'll stick with windows for gaming though, even with steam I don't think mac supports anything equivalent to even directx9. But I think it will be great for computer illiterate mac users that have machines powerful enough to run recent source engine games but would have no easy means to play them otherwise(average mac users don't bootcamp).

What will be real interesting is if I can log into my steam account in OSX and play mac versions of the games that I already own a PC license to, they're the same games on the same distribution platform, lets see if the keys are cross-OS compatible.

Is there an ETA on when all this is going to go into effect?

How would there be an ETA? It hasnt even been officially announced yet. Everything being discussed at this point is speculation based off a few teasers.

I love all this media. These parodies are too cool.

But honestly, I can only see digital distribution as the only good way to sell Mac compatible games.

I love PC gaming and I would actually argue that Steam is one of the elements outside of Blizzard that has kept Windows relevant as a gaming platform. Lord knows Microsoft has no interest in advocating it over the 360. A centralized distribution and patching platform for games is IMHO the best thing that has ever happened to Windows gaming. The same thing on other platforms like OS X and Linux (we'll see if this happens) is only a good thing for PC game developers.

GDC is next week. I think an announcement then is a pretty safe bet, ditto an explanation for all of the Portal stuff that has been going down the last few days (ARG on Monday, new ending patched in today...). Crossing fingers for an Episode 3/Portal 2 reveal!

I wonder if Valve is going to charge to play games that you already own on Windows for Mac.

At the very least I would expect that Valve will allow Mac users that already have a Windows game license to download any of their own games (HL2, L4D2, TF2, Portal, etc) for both platforms, much in the same way that the owners of Blizzard games get both Windows and OS X licenses with a single purchase. Ditto some indies like World Of Goo, all of TellTale's stuff, certain EA games like Sims 3, etc, since you get licenses for both platforms when you buy them.

For other publishers it is a different story. Some developers sell the rights to make a Mac version to a third party and they then become responsible for any profits or losses on that version, so it wouldn't be likely that Activision would let you re-download COD4 for Mac since you didn't pay Aspyr for the Windows version.

It should be easier now though, considering that a lot of ports from EA such as Sims 3, Spore, or Dragon Age are no longer farmed out. Again, at that point it will be up to the publisher if they offer the license for both versions with a single purchase, ie: EA sells Spore and Sims 3 with Windows and OS X installs in the same release, while Dragon Age is separate purchases since the OS X version is download only (maybe they'll make this work for Steam?). Then there's Blizzard that sells all of their games with both licenses, and so on.

I'm really curious to see how everyone handles this. I'm not expecting to get all of my Windows games back on OS X for free, but then again I only Boot Camp on my MBP for TF2 or L4D2 anyway, and I would hope that Valve will offer dual licenses for their own games. No longer needing to dual boot will be nice. :)

Last edited:
Ugghhh, I don't know if I can stomach all that faux-geek-hipster snobbery in one place. Apple + Valve.

Yes fancy marketing, that's how you herd the mac fans, make it white and shiney and "cool" and they'll be lapping up your products. Power of marketing vs stupid people.

Yes fancy marketing, that's how you herd the mac fans, make it white and shiney and "cool" and they'll be lapping up your products. Power of marketing vs stupid people.

While here we see the power of PC snobbery :rolleyes:

Were you complaining about Valve's fantastic marketing with all of their TF2 "Meet The" videos? If not, grow up, and if yes, get some taste and a sense of humor. :p

Lord knows Microsoft has no interest in advocating it over the 360. A centralized distribution and patching platform for games is IMHO the best thing that has ever happened to Windows gaming. The same thing on other platforms like OS X and Linux (we'll see if this happens) is only a good thing for PC game developers.

Apple cares about Mac gaming? As much as PC gamers bitch and moan about consoles, the 360 has probably helped PC gaming. Why? Piracy. It's MUCH cheaper to develop for the 360 and port to Windows since a 360 is Windows. The biggest issue with this model is consolitis but there a number of games that are coming out this year that are going to kick consoles in the nads, like Metro 2033. I hope that's because the game rocks and not because its crap.

I just don't see game developers looking to write games for a small market that will have the same issues with piracy as Windows, which is itself a small market compared to consoles.

I'm missing the logic behind this ad for some reason. Can someone explain?

I read it as being a point about how they're both the same thing but the Mac's prettier whereas the PC can be easily upgraded to become very powerful and used effectively in a variety of practical applications instead of just sitting around looking nice until it falls into a portal hole or something. But then I have been awake since 4am.

I read it as being a point about how they're both the same thing but the Mac's prettier whereas the PC can be easily upgraded to become very powerful and used effectively in a variety of practical applications instead of just sitting around looking nice until it falls into a portal hole or something. But then I have been awake since 4am.

lol sound's about right!

Apple cares about Mac gaming?

I never said that they do. Neither Apple nor Microsoft puts any importance on PC gaming, but that's where companies like Valve and Blizzard step in with services like Steam and Battlenet 2. I think it is fantastic that the two staunchest supporters of PC gaming support multiple operating systems.

Anything that uses a mouse and keyboard, I'm all for it. :D

As much as PC gamers bitch and moan about consoles, the 360 has probably helped PC gaming. Why? Piracy. It's MUCH cheaper to develop for the 360 and port to Windows since a 360 is Windows.

Too bad this doesn't happen much in practice, especially when it comes to Microsoft's own titles. Them axing Alan Wake for Windows tells you everything you need to know about their stance on PC gaming versus the 360 (as if killing Ensemble, Aces, FASA, all excellent PC developers, didn't tell us enough ;)).

I just don't see game developers looking to write games for a small market that will have the same issues with piracy as Windows, which is itself a small market compared to consoles.

But it already happens. EA ports the majority of their big titles to OS X, id and Blizzard both have very strong OS X development (day-and-date releases on everything in Blizzard's case), you've got casual developers like PopCap and TellTale Games that do the same thing, numerous indies that release Windows/OS X/and Linux, etc etc.

Your argument assumes that OS X games will need to be created in order to fill out Steam's Mac library. This is incorrect, the games already exist. They're obviously not in the numbers that you get with a Windows games library, but its bigger than you think. If they didn't then there wouldn't be much incentive for Valve to even do this in the first place.

All Valve is doing is the same thing they did with Windows in 2003, getting in on the ground floor with their awesome distribution system. Even if it doesn't pay off immediately, it certainly will with time. They're definately making it easier for PC/Mac folk like myself in that I no longer need to dual boot my laptop. All I've been missing in OS X is TF2 and L4D2, and soon I'll have it! :D

Last edited:
@heatlesssun - Someone made an excellent post on Shacknews that is relevant to one of your points. I'm gonna crib it here: http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=22320786#itemanchor_22320786

Game support is not important to Apple. Never has been, never will be.

So someone else needs to carry the torch. Valve is the savior of Windows gaming, why not the Mac as well?

I'd also throw Blizzard into that pile, but otherwise I honestly couldn't have said it better myself.

God, the arrogance of platform fanatics blows me away sometimes. You are completely interchangeable with Mactards and Linux Zealots, although you're clearly too dense to step back and realize that. Grow up.

And I actually use my Macs for work, thank you very much. That it all comes with a fantastic operating system that I prefer to use for pretty much everything else, top class displays, and best-in-class notebooks is gravy.

PS - The ARG stuff that Valve did for Portal was brilliant, and changing its ending today was the perfect capper to all of it. You criticizing it for being marketing (no shit) is the most middlebrow and obvious kind of complaining out there. There's nothing wrong with it if it is genuinely fun and interesting.

I'm not a "platform fanatic" I use whatever platform best suits my needs based on the actual benefits of that platform, I use linux at work for any servers that require long up time and tight security such as our firewall, I use a PC as my own gaming computer because it's the best overall platform for gaming and general day to day use. Macs do have their benefit, primarily ease of use, and that's not something I need (at least to that degree), I dont bash macs for it, they fill a market segment and that does nothing but make my life as a systems administrator easier because those same people trying to use PCs would just be a nightmare...

That does nothing to alter the fact that macs marketing is transparent rubbish, obvious to almost everyone except mac owners :)

Yes the portal ARG was brilliant, a brilliant piece of marketing that is. The fact that everyone was chattering about it and telling each other was a fantastic way to increase overall public perception of the game just in time for them to start market it's sequel (presumably). Some people see it purely as fun, and I don't refute that it was...I just see it as a manipulation by people that have an agenda.

Back