Acer 235HZ text blurry in 120hz

xjmtx

Limp Gawd
I bought the GD235hz monitor to accompany my Eyefinity setup. The monitor displays wonderfully in 60hz (shame that isn't what I bought it for). When I go into CCC and attempt to force the monitor to display at 120 at 1920x1080; if I press apply, the screen goes black and I get the "input not supported", instead if I press OK, it appears to force the monitor but the screen text is extremely blurred.

In game the graphics under 120hz are amazingly displayed, yet text in game isn't. The text appears as blurry in game as it does under normal desktop use. I understand currently that ATI drivers do not support multi hz eyefinity setups, I am not attempting to do this. I have created two profiles for my desktop use and gaming use, but cannot get 120hz to display properly on the GD235hz monitor. I attempted to call Acer tech support but they only suggested "resetting" the monitor via the monitor controls. The Acer eDisplay Management will not respond to anything when in 120hz mode, but responds in 60hz mode. As Isabelle Rosallini would say: "What to do?"

This might sound like a simple solution, but does the "Auto" or similar button help any. I've seen LCDs that seemed ok, but had blurry text fix itself with the auto control. I think this is what they meant by resetting the monitor.

AUTO only works for VGA (Analogue) monitors.

If you are using HDMI - 120Hz is NOT supported so therefore use a DUAL-LINK DVI cable.

I am using the supplied DVI cable. I also tried the clear text option in windows 7 and that didn't help either.

What happens if you use the other port on your video card? Saw that this fixed issues in the U2711 thread.

what do you mean? this being an eyefinity setup, are you suggesting that i use say the display port for the 120hz monitor?

He's suggesting you switch the DVI cable for the 120Hz monitor to the other DVI port on the card.

If you have a camera take a picture up close of the txt and post it. Perhaps its another issue entirely.

i swapped all of the dvi cables around on all three monitors, changed the ports entirely, and it only got worse, meaning i had trouble getting the monitors to be detected. once reverting to the original way i had them plugged in. so as requested, i took pictures to show what the 120hz looks like to the 60hz, i moved the text to be displayed on the 120hz and the 60hz at the same time, so the big black bar in the center is just the bezel.

1003255.jpg

and
1003256.jpg

i tried multiple settings, and what you see is about the best i was able to get. it's a kodak easyshare, i don't need anything better than that for my business so i've yet to get a better camera. but why not, i'll try to take another picture and see if we get better results.

mate, that's the trouble! the monitor on the left is the monitor forcing 120hz, the right is one of my 60hz displays. the problem is trying to get the 120hz to work the right way. and as i said before, Acer did a crapshoot in the means of problem solving this issue.

I'd definitely look at the card as the issue, as I have the same problem and I'm running an ATI as well. If you use the 10.2 drivers, it does help a bit in that you don't have to power-cycle the monitor as many times before the card synchs with the monitor. In the meantime, you can set the 2D to 60Hz, then have 120Hz forced in 3D apps so you don't have to manually switch from 60 to 120 when you game.

There's more info on the 'net regarding the problems ATI cards have running @ 120Hz on LCDs. Strange that my CRT didn't have this issue.

I was having the same problem with my AW2310 monitor & ati card. The problem was I used the dvi cable I was using for the previous monitor. You need the dual-link cable. Doesn't matter if you are using the cable that came with the monitor, they might have put the wrong one in. Look at the picture in this link: http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/102657d1176050507/dvicon.gif Now compare it to the one you are using. Never assume you'll get the right accesories!

Good luck.

Last edited:
what if you only plug in the 120hz monitor? i don't know much about this but maybe it has something to do with trying to run 1 monitor 120hz while the others 60?? worth a try.

what if you only plug in the 120hz monitor? i don't know much about this but maybe it has something to do with trying to run 1 monitor 120hz while the others 60?? worth a try.

I have a friend already running a 120hz and a 60hz TV at the same time, no issues there. Though I was wondering if there would be issues with 3D Vision. I had a similar thing when I forced AA on games not made for it, like BF1942, text got unreadable. Check if there is any kind of smooth motion or up-conversion in the options of the monitor.

I was having the same problem with my AW2310 monitor & ati card. The problem was I used the dvi cable I was using for the previous monitor. You need the dual-link cable. Doesn't matter if you are using the cable that came with the monitor, they might have put the wrong one in. Look at the picture in this link: http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/102657d1176050507/dvicon.gif Now compare it to the one you are using. Never assume you'll get the right accesories!

Good luck.

Nailed it. I was having this exact problem on my AW2310 and I just switched to the dual link cable and now it's perfect at 120 Hz. Thanks

Back