My Phenom X2 555 Unlocked, can't see temps now...

96redformula

2[H]4U
The cpu was floating pretty high temps IMO on 2 cores stock speeds with a mini ninja at about 35idle to 45 at full load. Now that I have unlocked it I wanted to check that all is well including temperatures, but I no longer can see the temps with AMD overclock as well as with OCCT. Any suggestion or is this normal?

It's extremely common, if not something that happens always, that when you unlock additional cores you loose access to the temperature sensor on chip.

It's extremely common, if not something that happens always, that when you unlock additional cores you loose access to the temperature sensor on chip.

Bummer, oh well. I suppose I can live with that. It is for a gaming HTPC anyways, probably don't need to overclock it.

set the cpu back to dual core.. load up speedfan or everest and check and see how close the core temp is to the cpu socket temp when idle and under full load.. if they are close to each other memorize the difference in temps.. then when you unlock the cores you will have a rough idea of what the core temps are by using the cpu socket temp.. some motherboards have the socket temp set correctly some dont like in my case since my socket temp only goes from 28C to 32C from idle to full load..

Another thing you can do it set it back to a dual core, and bump the unlock-stable voltage another 5% to emulate the thermal characteristics of the unlocked cores. If your temps are OK at about ~1.45V, you should be fine.

I looked at my 3 cores and then added about 5C.went back to 4 core usage and adjusted my offsets Highest temps are 44c.Machine has been stable.I have all safety measures set in bios to avoid any problems.At this time I am using AOD and going toward 3.8ghz.Not bad for a 720BE;almost a 1ghz increase in core speed + a free core to boot.

I looked at my 3 cores and then added about 5C.went back to 4 core usage and adjusted my offsets Highest temps are 44c.Machine has been stable.I have all safety measures set in bios to avoid any problems.At this time I am using AOD and going toward 3.8ghz.Not bad for a 720BE;almost a 1ghz increase in core speed + a free core to boot.

if you can hit 3.8ghz with all 4 cores then you have a nice chip.. majority if unlocked 720's max out around 3.6-3.7ghz.. with the 4th core locked some will do 3.8ghz..

if you can hit 3.8ghz with all 4 cores then you have a nice chip.. majority if unlocked 720's max out around 3.6-3.7ghz.. with the 4th core locked some will do 3.8ghz..

well, this is a C3 revision chip, and a lot of review sites show the ability to overclock further than the 550 BE older chip

Back