No more Xbox 360...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBluePill

2[H]4U
You know.. sometimes grounding and talking just doesn't work...

My kids have been on the slow road to supreme disobedience for a while now. Its like every week, they get a little worse about things.. Ever since we got them an X-Box 360, its been down hill. All they want to do is play the thing, fight over who gets the play and they neglect every chore to play it. We ground them from it and all they do is whine about wanting it back and get an attitude over not having it..

Its amazing how much draw it has for them. And how much sway it has on their attitudes about everything. Its gotten to the point where their mom is crying daily over their behavior.. (Both boys 9 & 10).. so i decided to "make a point" that there is more to life than the xbox and they have school and chores and all manor of things in life that they have to focus on..

So, I decided to take their focus off of it,,,,,,

exxbox.jpg

I know those that dont have kids wont understand.. but $200 now is a lot less expensive than Bail or a Funeral down the road if they kept on going the way they were going. It pained me.. but i did it out of love. Simply Taking it away or selling it just wouldn't have had the impact on them that this did.

I have a LOT of 360 Games ill post up on the For Sale Section Shortly for a REALLY good deal..

Or... you could have given it to charity, and not appeared like a psychopath to your young kids.

What do I know though?

lol oh man

my pops did something similar to us when we were kids. We would constantly fight over who got to play our old NES. One day, the straw broke the camels back, as they say, and he ripped it out of the wall... threw it in the garbage and poured a glass of water into it.

Sometimes you need to show 'em the hard way. We certainly got along (in front of him at least) better after that

Nice work sir. I commend any parent that disciplines well now a days.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Or... you could have given it to charity, and not appeared like a psychopath to your young kids.

What do I know though?

Trust me.. it was a long time coming. Further more, some kids need a wake-up call and disposing of a "toy" that has become a focus of their lives is a really good one. Some kids just need to be a little shocked back into reality.

lol oh man

my pops did something similar to us when we were kids. We would constantly fight over who got to play our old NES. One day, the straw broke the camels back, as they say, and he ripped it out of the wall... threw it in the garbage and poured a glass of water into it.

Sometimes you need to show 'em the hard way. We certainly got along (in front of him at least) better after that

Thats what im hoping, only time will tell.

I love my kids, nothing pains me more than see them physically fighting over who has spent 21 minutes on the xbox when they only were supposed to spend 20 each turn.. It gets old quick.. and then they want me to referee every day.

I would say bring them into the computer world. Have a father son project on building both of them computers. Don't buy them one as it will teach them nothing of how a computer works and what it does. Building a computer will make them more technology sound and will provide them with knowledge that can help them into the future. Which one would you think has a higher IQ, someone that buys and plays console, or someone that builds and plays a computer. The great thing about computers are they help devolope logic and troubleshooting skills needed for real life. If this happens, and this is bad, this must be why. Also a stern ass whooping always helps.

...you could have given it to charity, and not appeared like a psychopath to your young kids.

Looks like the Doc turned out okay ( ↓ ) ... His [OP's] kids will be fine. They will thank him in 10 years.

lol oh man

I had an addiction to Diablo 2, neglecting similar chores/ family time, finally my dad broke my disk. I'm glad he did (I'm much older now), it taught me alot about self control. Do I still have diablo? Yep, I play it from time to time, but never do I forget my responsibilities.. Read Allegory Of The Cave, then you'll understand.

Thank you. I've tried everything from soft-hand talks, to grounding, to stern talks to even bribery (allowance for doing their chores and getting along).. It lasts for about a day and goes right back to a "self centered me-verse"..

I would say bring them into the computer world. Have a father son project on building both of them computers. Don't by them one as it will teach them nothing of how a computer works and what it does. Building a computer will make them more technology sound and will provide them with knowledge that can help them into the future. Which one would you think has a higher IQ, someone that buys and plays console, or someone that builds and plays a computer. The great thing about computers are they help devolope logic and troubleshooting skills needed for real life. If this happens, and this is bad, this must be why. Also a stern ass whooping always helps.

I actually have been doing that for several years, even let them build a couple of PCs for people. for a while there we were all playing Dawn of War together.. but the xbox grabbed them like nothing i have seen.. its like MS put Teenie-bopper Heroin in the thing.

lol oh man

That thing was so rugged, you probably could have dried it off and it would have been fine! lol

I'm taking notes - going to be a dad in a few months. Seriously, I think what you did is justified. Easier to say things from another's POV. Kids remember that stuff. I'm planning to rule with an iron fist and actually hit my kids; the way I was raised! :)

It makes me sad to see broken technology but I prefer your actions over you having raised jerks...

GREAT JOB PARENTING!!!

I actually have been doing that for several years, even let them build a couple of PCs for people. for a while there we were all playing Dawn of War together.. but the xbox grabbed them like nothing i have seen.. its like MS put Teenie-bopper Heroin in the thing.

I would also suggest getting them steam as well. No disc to scratch and keys to lose. There is an in game community that they can have friends with, but with perental controls can help with what they do and don't do on it.

I'm taking notes - going to be a dad in a few months. Seriously, I think what you did is justified. Easier to say things from another's POV. Kids remember that stuff. I'm planning to rule with an iron fist and actually hit my kids; the way I was raised! :)

I've always been a Carrot and Stick kind of Parent, with a whole lot more carrot. I can count on one hand how many times they have actually been spanked by me.. but maybe that was the problem. I did talk to them about the fact that everything they own, their mother and I bought for them and although they dont have everything they have wanted, they got at least 1/2..

I even want as far as trying an experiment 9/10 months ago.. I bet them they couldn't be "90% perfect" on chores and behavior for 60 days.. and i bet them their Wii and xbox VS buying them each HD TVs.. The won the bet, I paid up and within 2 weeks they were back to normal.. I shouldn't have to Pay them to do what they are supposed to do.. Especially when i know they are capable of it.

I agree 100%.

I was a lot into music when I was about 13-14...I had a collection of well over 300 cds.
I used to misbehave to the point where I would make my mom cry (my dad was at work all day, and would come home at around 9pm everyday).

Nothing worked on me, and they tried it all...until my dad decided to go into my room, choose a random cd, and break it in half in front of me...and he did that everytime I misbehaved.

I am 30 now, I remember it like it was yesterday (my poor Ride the Lightning cd). I became a good kid after a couple of broken cds.

I will have kids soon, and am planning on using these tactics if they don't behave after I tried the more classic methods.

I also agree that selling it or giving it to charity would not have had the same impact.

Good job sir :)

It sucks you had to do that. Grounding always worked for me.

You should of made them each take a swing at it before you did. That way they know that they each had a hand in its demise.

Guess that's one way to do it. Did you do the deed in front of 'em?

Let me know what 360 games you're getting rid of.

I agree 100%.

I was a lot into music when I was about 13-14...I had a collection of well over 300 cds.
I used to misbehave to the point where I would make my mom cry (my dad was at work all day, and would come home at around 9pm everyday).

Nothing worked on me, and they tried it all...until my dad decided to go into my room, choose a random cd, and break it in half in front of me...and he did that everytime I misbehaved.

I am 30 now, I remember it like it was yesterday (my poor Ride the Lightning cd). I became a good kid after a couple of broken cds.

I will have kids soon, and am planning on using these tactics if they don't behave after I tried the more classic methods.

I also agree that selling it or giving it to charity would not have had the same impact.

Good job sir :)

WOW, that is amazingly simple way to fix the issue..

You know.. i have spoiled them.. they probably have 30 xbox games.. So i feel deeply at fault for letting it get this bad. But that said, they really were taking things for granted. They made the assumption that the things they had were "theirs", though they have never worked in their lives to earn anything.. it was just a "given". The few things they have had to share are a point of total contention. Senseless.. Fighting constantly, to the point of actually punching over having to share a console.

Guess that's one way to do it. Did you do the deed in front of 'em?

Let me know what 360 games you're getting rid of.

Yes, pulled them in the kitchen and opened the conversation with the "sledge-o-matic". Then gave them a short 5 minute lecture on who is in charge in the house and how they have to behave, obey and contribute to the family, not leach, lie, be lazy and covet toys above all else.

OP, from one father to another, I feel your pain and think you did a damn fine job. I hope you did it while they watched. Somethimes being a parent can suck when you have to do something like this but it is necessary to properly teach valuable life lessons.

You should of made them each take a swing at it before you did. That way they know that they each had a hand in its demise.

I didn't even think to do that..

This was the first "lecture" i have given them without them smarting-off or back-talking or "but.. But" ... It was nothing but their jaws hanging on the floor and tears in their eyes. they actually listened to me.

OP, from one father to another, I feel your pain and think you did a damn fine job. I hope you did it while they watched. Somethimes being a parent can suck when you have to do something like this but it is necessary to properly teach valuable life lessons.

Thanks. It really sucked.. I actually played the thing a few times too, though im a PC gamer.. PGR and stuff like that was fun on it.. I enjoyed watching them have fun on it and brought home a lot of games for it for them.. out of wanting to see them enjoy it... But, it was just a toy.. A toy that had really changed them.. They were vicious over it.. every day it turned into a fight, getting worse the more games they had. Not even counting the "begging" when we would go to walmart or drive by game-stop..

But.. I would let it slide.. Until they started getting bad grades, forgetting to feed their dogs, not doing the dishes.. basically becoming cage-fighting shut-ins in my house, and telling ME that i was a bad dad for grounding them from THEIR games when they mis-behaved.. Something had to give.

I will get a list of games together shortly.. Lots of stuff from a lot of Genres.. They got 12 games for christmas for it too.. bah!

You know, if you didn't want them addicted to videogames you shoulda bought 'em a Wii. I don't think it's possible to be addicted. :p

12 games for Christmas? Dang, no wonder they're hooked! Too...much...to...play!

Let me know when the list of games is up. Thanks!

You know, if you didn't want them addicted to videogames you shoulda bought 'em a Wii. I don't think it's possible to be addicted. :p

12 games for Christmas? Dang, no wonder they're hooked! Too...much...to...play!

Let me know when the list of games is up. Thanks!

They have had a Wii for over 2 years.. they really don't care for it like the Xbox.. Never had these kind of issues with the Wii..

Ill make a list when i get home from work and post it up.

What do I know though?

Sounds like you don't have any kids, otherwise you'd never make that statement.

Good for you OP. Hopefully the "little darlings" learn a valuable lesson. And sometimes asses do need to be beat.

Well done, my man. I remember when my dad tossed my computer out the window because I was spending too much time on it. Trust me, its worth it. At least now if they do something bad, all you have to do is walk into the room with the sledgehammer. :p

I'm a security analyst now, and in a year, going back to finish my Diploma in Advanced Technology in Networking, and my Bachelor's in Information Technology also in Networking. So, I gotta say, I turned out pretty well.

ahahahahaha..

I still remember how my mother throw the oldest classic gameboy down to the river because me and my sister keeps fighting over it and not going anywhere without it.

I have a feeling it wouldn't have had the effect you are looking for, though. If somebody destroys something of yours, its shocking. If you destroy something of yours, it can be fun. Letting them smash it might very well have been something fun for them - and you certainly don't want your kids associating smashing expensive electronics with a sledge hammer with something fun to do. ;)

Stupid. You could have sold it, made the same point without the "Destruction of property is okay" message, and made a few bucks in the process.

My parents never would have done something like that.
We had to drop our pants and get spanked with my dad's belt. lol

I agree, if you don't have children you won't understand, you can't understand. Until you have lived in that situation you can't understand. It's like your parents telling you that you're living best time of your life and you'll miss it when it's gone.

It's not easy to do something like that to your own children but it's good to know that there are parents out there that are willing to take that stand.

Best of luck to you with your children in future endeavors.

As one of those kids who did not learn through conventional methods and as a parent now, I applaud you sir. Since my child is younger I still only seem to have much exposure to young and usually abysmally bad parents and their miserable offspring. It is refreshing to see that there are at least some other parents out there who care about their childs behavior.

Well done, my man. I remember when my dad tossed my computer out the window because I was spending too much time on it. Trust me, its worth it.

I had my old Micromachines van city thrown out the window by my dad right in front of me. Sucked at the time, but I learned pretty quick. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

What do I know though?

+10000

If you've gotten to the point that you have to smash things in front of your kids to "teach them a lesson" then you clearly fucked up somewhere else down the line.

I think it would have been better to have packed it up (or made them pack it up) and then dropped it off at Goodwill. Breaking their shit just means that someday when they're in a position of control they'll think smashing other people's shit is the way you get things done.

I was one of 6 children. My parents were old school when it came to discipline and I got spanked a lot when I was a little kid. Guess what? We hardly ever got into trouble in the middle school/high school years. If my dad had done something ridiculous like this it would have greatly reduced my opinion of him.

...Now beat them with left over xbox. That really drives it home!

wait what?!

Ya curious about the games list :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back