Command & Conquer available for free

Thanks for the heads up. I absolutely loved Tiberian Sun back in the day. So many hours playing that instead of studying or doing homework.....

yeah i got the email for this a few days ago.. but their servers are horrible.. i can usually get about 30-35% into the download before it times out.. so make sure you use a download client that allows it to resume a download.. or hope you have better luck then me..

Sweet, thanks! I loved the original C&C. Fond memories of playing my buddies over 56k. I'm gonna scoop these up. I think I bought RA too but never did play TS.

Damn I remember playing Red Alert religiously as a kid... this brings back a lot of memories.

Update.
It seems that the older games are using a 16-bit installer, so it's a no go on x64 systems. Disappointing to say the least. Now I need to find my Command and Conquer: The First Decade disk and see if I still have the key and if they updated the installer to 32bits.

I haven't installed them yet, but I doubt there's ads. I think this has more to do with EA wanting to add hype for C&C4's release. Despite what forum dwellers say, EA isn't the Devil incarnate.

yes they are.. when you consider just how bad C&C4 is.. they can create all the hype they want.. the game wont sell.. its horrible.. hell id play DOW2 before id ever play C&C4 again and i cant stand DOW2..

yes they are.. when you consider just how bad C&C4 is.. they can create all the hype they want.. the game wont sell.. its horrible.. hell id play DOW2 before id ever play C&C4 again and i cant stand DOW2..

C&C4 will sell just as well, if not better, than DOW2. And DOW2 did very well. The die-hards will buy, as will the newer players who prefer pure action over base building. People said all this about DOW2, and it's a very well liked game.

Yay! My Thinkpad 600e just meets the vram sys req with its amazing 2.5MB vram!!

Downloaded the game, thanks for the heads up!

Won't work on 64 bit? Just great.

Here's where you went wrong. Those are the people who will resent the changes the most.

True diehards will give it a chance. I don't know if they'll stick with it, or if they'll enjoy it, but they'll still play. If only to see how the Kane story ends. The people who prefer to complain instead of just playing the game are the ones who will make a big stink and come up with some online petition.
I'm not saying I'm happy with the change, but I'm willing to give it a chance to stand on it's own. After enjoying C&C3, I'm willing to wait until I play the final retail product before making any conclusions.

True diehards will give it a chance. I don't know if they'll stick with it, or if they'll enjoy it, but they'll still play. If only to see how the Kane story ends. The people who prefer to complain instead of just playing the game are the ones who will make a big stink and come up with some online petition.
I'm not saying I'm happy with the change, but I'm willing to give it a chance to stand on it's own. After enjoying C&C3, I'm willing to wait until I play the final retail product before making any conclusions.

i was a die hard C&C person til C&C3.. and then C&C4 pretty much explained why i hate C&C all together now... honestly for me the series died the day EA bought the rights to the series.. thats when everything went to crap.. RA3 was ok for about a week and then i got bored with that.. insanely limited resources.. horrible camera angle/zoom but not as bad as C&C4.. not to mention a non multi-player expansion? wtf were they thinking?

I'll buy C&C4 only for the story... I want to see how the saga ends. Besides there is never too much Kane :D

THe C&C stopped being good after Red Alert 2.... RA3 / C&C3 were one of the lamest RTS I ever played, even Halo RTS was more challenging. Actually EA pulling the plug from this series was one of the best decision they made (maybe apart from purchasing Bioware :p)

Won't work on 64 bit? Just great.

Here's where you went wrong. Those are the people who will resent the changes the most.

Wrong. Diehards will buy the game if only to whinge and bitch about how EA screwed them out of US$50, ruined a classic franchise, dumbed it down, and then drone on about the good old days like a geriatric dementia patient for a few lines on forums such as these.

I was all excited until I read the fine print saying will work only in Winblows XP 32bit.

Wrong. Diehards will buy the game if only to whinge and bitch about how EA screwed them out of US$50, ruined a classic franchise, dumbed it down, and then drone on about the good old days like a geriatric dementia patient for a few lines on forums such as these.

Haven you been on the Bioware forums recently? ;)

I was all excited until I read the fine print saying will work only in Winblows XP 32bit.

I missed that part. Given that these games are older and not 3D intensive though, they might run just fine in a VM or even XP Mode.

I just don't get the appeal of these games. It's like taking an overhead shot of an area and moving the camera around and saying, "Drop bomb here." Then wait for next move. I don't see the fun in that.

I just don't get the appeal of these games. It's like taking an overhead shot of an area and moving the camera around and saying, "Drop bomb here." Then wait for next move. I don't see the fun in that.

Wait for next move? You know they're not turn-based, right?

At any rate, no game is for everyone. There are people who don't understand the appeal of games like Batman, Far Cry, etc. which are great games in the eyes of many.

Back