DirectX February 2010 Update

one of my 7 x64 installs would not install the old pack of DX,would give an error and prompt to check the system folder for an error log,this one installed

If you already have DirectX installed you can also use the web installer for a much faster download. The February update only comes out to 713KB versus 105MB to download the developer redistributable.

Hint: This won't have any effect on your current games as games are compiled against specific redist and DLL versions. This only helps if the games you have installed don't do the proper thing and install the redist at game installation. However, your game would then not run. :p

Wait, why are they still including XP in a new SDK?

Not that I'm complaining but when you're topped out at DX9 what more can you do with it?

Wait, why are they still including XP in a new SDK?

Not that I'm complaining but when you're topped out at DX9 what more can you do with it?

They still do roughly quarterly updates to fix bugs and such in DirectX 9. As I mentioned earlier though, this only matters if the games are compiled against that build of DirectX 9. Games compiled against earlier builds don't gain anything from these updates.

Because it's the entire DX package with all updates.

Since I'm smart, I just use the handy DXWEB installer I keep on my system. It grabbed just the February portion update I needed, which was around 730KB. It usually takes a couple days after the general dist. release to become available on the web patcher, but it's not like any game requires the new version RIGHT NOW.

don't some older games automatically install older versions of DX even if you have a newer version installed?...that's why I like to have the newest redistributable on hand to make sure everything is up to date...some games give you the option on whether to install DirectX or not but other games so just ahead and install without any prompt

don't some older games automatically install older versions of DX even if you have a newer version installed?
I always wondered this too. Sometimes the updater would cut out aver .1 seconds (Woops! You have this already. Closing now.) some would do the full install. Is it just overwriting the files I might already have not so much as downgrading them?

As for DX. I have a CD that has the latest redist and all the Runtimes (2005 and 2008, x64 and x32). I have had a few times where they need to be reinstalled cause something went fucko.:D

don't some older games automatically install older versions of DX even if you have a newer version installed?...that's why I like to have the newest redistributable on hand to make sure everything is up to date...some games give you the option on whether to install DirectX or not but other games so just ahead and install without any prompt

I always wondered this too. Sometimes the updater would cut out aver .1 seconds (Woops! You have this already. Closing now.) some would do the full install. Is it just overwriting the files I might already have not so much as downgrading them?

As for DX. I have a CD that has the latest redist and all the Runtimes (2005 and 2008, x64 and x32). I have had a few times where they need to be reinstalled cause something went fucko.:D

dxsetup will never overwrite older versions by design, nothing actually gets replaced unless it has a newer driver. the difference being that some devs are smart enough to do it the easy way and check the manifest, instead of comparing each and every driver version manually through the default installer, which takes much longer.

Question. Why would anyone want to install DX9 on their Windows 7 platform?
Wouldn't that be detrimental to the DX10 that is native to Windows 7?

Or, am I completely off my rocker?

Some games need to have DX9 installed to run, LotRO being one example.

the DX update installs all DX files, not just DX9...it also installs updated DX10 and DX11 files correct?

directx is not fully backwards compatible.

Back