Nec 20wmgx2.. splotches/stains?

FinalAura

[H]ard|Gawd
I purchased 2 nec 20wmgx2's refurbed from NEC when they had the winter sale.

Since then, I've been noticing some splotches/stains (for lack of a better term) going across the top of the my screen. Is this normal?

The screen on the left used to have a bigger splotch towards the top left, but I sent it back to NEC for repair, but now splotches are starting to grow again. Also, its now happening to my second monitor.

So its happening to both of my monitors now... Is this normal for this panel? Somehwat makes me regret purchasing these. I thought the left one would be free of the problem since I had sent it back for repair already, but I guess not.

Here is a pic.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3186/splotches.jpg

I had the exact same problem. At first it was small and I was too lazy to return it. Then it got larger and larger and at that point I couldn't return it. Return it while you can.

I'd try to get that repaired/replaced. Hopefully it works out...doubt they have many left

It's an IPS panel specific defect. Return ASAP if you ever see splotches on your display. If you don't return it, the splotches will continue to grow over time.

From a cost-effective standpoint they should just send you a replacement instead of trying to repair it, considering they would have to replace the panel and basically rebuild the entire monitor.

Here is a picture of a Dell IPS monitor I returned back in 2007 which developed the same problem. The splotch started out as a small sliver, but after 6 months it was as big as the picture below:

Last edited:
This is a pretty common problem with 20" ips lcds. My 20WMGX2 has a small stain in the upper left area. Developed about 2 years after I got it and hasn't spread any further for over a year now. Fortunately I can't see it at all while web browsing, but it is noticeable during movies/games. Most of the time I forget about it though.

Yeah I guess I will call NEC on monday since I still have 3 days left of warranty... It just puzzles me that the problem still occurs on the left monitor, even though I had returned that for repair already.

Anyone else getting these with the 20wmgx2?

@cyberbeing

Wow... it grew to that extent huh... Definitely don't want that to happen to mine. It annoys me seeing it on my desktop wallpaper, even though I don't notice while gaming and such.

My 2007WFP has this. I have always wondered if this was normal or not, but I guess its not normal. It's visible on the white background. It doesn't effect the work I do, so I live with it since it's not really bad. I really doubt Dell would replace it with the same panel.

This is exactly what developed on my 20WMGX2. I returned it and NEC sent me a refurb unit from their B stock and this refurb unit developed the stain too, FFS.

I've been lazy in sending back my units and have basically been living with the problem for the last almost 3 years but I bet if I was proactive in getting my units RMA'd immediately I'd probably have 10 units by now with all of them developing the stain. My warrantee is up on the 25th so I'm going to have to call them and bitch and get this B stock unit replaced before then.

I went through all the rma crap, but eventually they replaced the panels all together with brand new ones and I have been running with no splotchiness and its been great. I got some dead pixels in return though :(.

My 20wmgx^2 has this along the top border as well. It is still growing, but my panel has nearly 4 years of heavy use now so I'm satisfied.

Luckily it's not too visible because it blends into the main picture area rather seamlessly.

Back