Help me choose a mouse.

Undercover_Man

[H]ard Surgeon
Hello. I have been researching mice all night and early this afternoon and I can't decide which one to get. I plan on using this mouse STRICTLY for gaming. I plan on using a Logitech Revolution as general usage mouse because of the scrolly thumb thing and the thumb forward/backward buttons. Plus it's the only mouse with hyper-scrolling and clicky scrolling which I use both of.

ANYWAYS, I will list the mice I have been looking at and its pros and cons that I can see. What I need help with is I don't know how durable these mice are historically with other ppl. Like I don't know if a mouse has a history of dying on ppl which I know is a problem with some mice.

I also don't know if there are common problems with mice experienced with ppl that aren't generally covered in reviews due to the short length of usage. Some issues just require a good long length of usage before unveiling other issues that I may not know about.

I'll colorize/bold what I really love or hate. Ok, I'll begin with what I know:

Saitek Cyborg

Pros
6 buttons for thumb - 2 forward/backward and 4-way d-pad (all programmable)
400-3200 DPI - 3 buttons used to change
8 total usable buttons (9 if that mode button is programmable) and a scroll wheel

Cons
Motorized sizing of mouse is one time gimmick. My hand doesn't change shape so it'd only need to be messed with one time.
Exclusively wired
No on-the-fly DPI adjuster that I can tell. Is there a way via keyboard maybe or do you have to exit game to change?
No scroll wheel tilting (for leaning right/left, however, thumb might be able to be trained to adjust for that with all those buttons)

Note: I can't seem to find any reviews that explains the Mode button except that there 3 levels. Does it mean that Mode 1=buttons #1-6 for thumb, Mode 2=buttons #7-12 for thumb, Mode 3=buttons #13-18 for thumb? That would be awesome for slow games (mpg, mmorpg, simulators) but difficult for fast games (racing, fps). Can someone elaborate what the Mode button actually does?

Microsoft SideWinder X8

Pros
Wireless and wired mode w/ batt.charging while wired
250-4000 DPI - 3 buttons used to change 5 stage DPI
On -the-fly macro recording button
Can track on glossy/glass/damn near anything you throw at it
7 usable buttons (3 thumb, 1 left, 1 right, 1middle left-tilt, 1 middle right-tilt). If you could change DPI like Mamba's middle-click/scroll feature, that would free up the 3 more buttons bringing usable buttons to 10!!! Is it possible?

Cons
Only 3 thumb buttons

Razer Mamba

Pros

Made me laugh because I swear they used the same company that designed the box for the Jawbone Noise Assassin bluetooth
100-5600 DPI - 2 buttons used to change 5 stage DPI - OR -
Ability to middle-click and bring up in-game DPI grid which can be adjusted on-the-fly using scroll wheel
If above is used, ability to free up two more index finger buttons. Maybe make up for the non-existent tilt wheel buttons.

Cons
Only 2 thumb buttons
No tilt wheel function (I always use that for leaning :()
Default DPI adjusting buttons too easily pressed in-game which would lead me to use the other way to adjust DPI
If using middle-click/scroll to adjust DPI, only 6 buttons total (3 left, 1 right, 2 thumb) and scroll wheel

Logitech G500

Pros
Hyper-scrolling. I love the free moving wheel.
200-5700 DPI - 2 buttons used to change 5 stage DPI
7 usable buttons plus 2 DPI changing buttons plus 1 hyper-scroll on/off button (all of which can be reprogrammed. You can have 10 usable buttons if you sacrifice the DPI/hyper-scroll buttons)
3 thumb buttons

Cons
Can't use while charging
Exclusively wired

Logitech G9X

Pros
Hyper-scrolling. I love the free moving wheel.
200-5000DPI - No buttons to change on-the-fly, however, knowing Logitech, you can probably change and replace the profile switching buttons for DPI changing ones but I dunno.
If you can re-program the profile buttons, there's 8 usable buttons plus the scroll wheel, otherwise just 6.

Cons
Exclusively wired

Alright, As you can see, there's many things I absolutly love about all these mice all of which were included in one mouse. Hell, I'd pay $500+ for a mouse with all these features that I really love all in one mouse.

I don't really like wired mice. Sometimes I find myself gaming on my lap, other times laying on my bed.

I hate how they think my thumb is retarded and can only handle 2 or 3 buttons. Hell, I kinda wish I could have an additional pinkie button and a srcolly right hand ring finger button (like with the thumb shifty button that looks like a scroll wheel but only really shifts up and down and depresses on the Logitech Revolution).

I love how, on the mamba, you can hold a mouse button down and use scroll to change the DPI in-game. I wish you could assign holding down a key and using scroll to change DPI tho. That would be the best.

I also love how, on two of the mice I think, you can game wirelessly and when you run out of battery, plug in the usb wire and continue to game WHILE the battery is charging. I hate how, when I game now, I have to stop and charge my mouse on its dock. Totally ruins my moment.

Are there any more mice out there that I could consider? I *think* I am leaning toward between the....well, hmmmm.....I tried to narrow it down a bit but there's always some big negative thing about the mouse that I really hate. There's either not enough buttons, exclusively wired, or I can't game while charging. Grrr.....this is so difficult. Why can't there just be a be all end all gaming mouse?

Any suggestions would be awesome because I can't decide. They ALMOST had it right with my Logitech Revolution. I have 5 thumb buttons, wireless, scroll wheel tilting, and hyper scrolling.That's 5 thumb, 1 left, 1 right, 1 middle, 1 middle right tilt, 1 middle left tilt, and 1 middle wheel depress programmable buttons. That's 11 buttons total. Totally awesome. But I don't have my high DPI or ability to game while charging which the latter pisses me off sometimes when I game a lot. Maybe I could solve that if I bought an extra mouse. Yah, that would totally work. Nothing I can do about the 800 measly DPI though.

Let me know what you guys think. :cool:

Last edited:
I thought the X8 only has two thumb buttons. Also -- G500 wireless?

Back