Yet another 120Hz LCD: Alienware OptX AW2310 23" 16:9

CES is giving us a lot of news and the next interesting one is the announcement of the 23-inch Full HD 3D Vision compatible Alienware OptX AW2310 monitor. The monitor is equipped with a 120Hz panel with 3 ms response time and high brightness (400 cd/m2 compared to the normally 300 cd/m2 on other 3D displays) and contrast levels (up to 80000:1, but dynamic), although it is not very clear what panel is being used, and this might be one of the first monitors using the new 23″ LG 120Hz panels announced a month ago.

Alienware OptX AW2310 has a nice-looking design and has an option to adjust the swivel, tilt and height to suit your personal preferences and all that you can get for $499, although the display is currently listed only on some local Alienware websites (New Zealand and Japan for instance), but will probably soon appear on others…

Alienware claims that this display also has a low input lag, but does not state a number of milliseconds. They also mention something interesting that the input lag is low “In DVI mode only” which is probably related to the fact that you need to use the DVI for 3D mode and/or when playing with 120Hz refresh rate…. still this needs a little further clarification.

Specifications of the Alienware OptX AW2310:

Panel Size: 23″ Widescreen, 16:9
Panel Type: TN – Twisted Nematic
Native Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (Full HD)
Contrast Ratio: 80000:1 (dynamic)
Brightness: 400 cd/m2 (typical)
Response Time: 3ms (typical) (grey-to-grey)
Viewing Angle : 170°/ 160°
Color Support : 16.7 million colors
Color Gamut: 83.4%
Refresh Rate: 120Hz (3D Capable)
Video Connectivity: DVI x 1, HDMI x 1
Audio Connectivity: Yes; Audio In and Out (2.0)
USB Ports : Yes: 4 USB 2.0
User Input / Controls: Touch Capacitive OSD Buttons
Stand: Tilt, Swivel and Height Adjustable

Interesting developments on the 120Hz area. This is nice. This looks good, 2nd to the Acer imo!

alienware-optix-aw2310-monitor.jpg

Nice but too expensive IMO (usual Alienware stuff). The Acer that will arrive soon will probably be $100 less with similar specs minus height adjustable and usb ports. However if this is using same panel as the LG I'm looking forward to some tests of it, especially input lag. :)

In my book the 120Hz LCDs that arrive in Q2 (LG and ViewSonic) are the most interesting so far. LED backlit is certainly very attractive factor to me atm due to excessive BLB on my current monitor (VX2268wm).

Last edited:
I'm not seeing any reviews yet. Want to know what panel it uses for sure. (LG's?) I'm also a little wary of ordering from Dell, and getting stuck for like 3 weeks waiting for them to actually arrive.

The Acer that will arrive soon will probably be $100 less with similar specs minus height adjustable and usb ports.

Ive ordered it (in the Netherlands) for €325,- incl. shipping. So thats nowhere near the price of this (overpriced) Alienware monitor!

Ive ordered it (in the Netherlands) for €325,- incl. shipping. So thats nowhere near the price of this (overpriced) Alienware monitor!

325 British pounds = 528.64500 U.S. dollars, so its not that far off really. There is going to be a premium for these, and another just for being alienware. A non-techie friend of mine was going to buy an alienware and it priced out to $2400, we eventually talked him into a similar box for $1200 (i7, 6gigs, 5700).

Last edited:
You can't do direct conversions off the price on a currency converter site and expect that to give the correct correspondence in the US market cuz that's not the case. I'm a hardware/overclocking freak and have followed european vs american prices for quite a while. The Acer 120Hz will NOT be $500, I'm still expecting $399 MSRP in the US for the Acer display. The best way to compare is to take the european VAT-exclusive price and convert it to USD and then shave off a couple of ten bucks (10~$30) depending on location in europe, then we land roughly at $399. I see even $399 slightly on the expensier side, maybe some site could be selling it slightly cheaper after availability picks up. So yes having that in mind $499 is a lot of $$$ for a screen like this but yea I do have my suspections that it should be better than the Acer though. :p

Also check this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116402&Tpk=vx2265wm - VX2265wm for $250, how would u expect a 1920x1080 120Hz sell for double the price of a 22" 1680x1050 120Hz screen? It doesn't work like that with 60Hz LCDs either.

PS, and british pounds is weak compared to EUR today. :)

Last edited:
Nice but too expensive IMO (usual Alienware stuff).

QFT. Alienware is grossly overpriced for what you get just because it's Alienware. I'd rather have an H-IPS based U2410 for that price. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The only thing that peaks my interest regarding the alienware over the acer is the brightness. I currently have the Samsung 2233rz, 300cmd2 brightness, and a Samsung... uh... 25.5 inch (forget the model number), at 400cmd2 brightness. The colors, and appearance are much more rich with the higher brightness panel... much...

Point being the Acer is also a 300 cmd2 panel, while the alienware is 400 cmd2. I don't like the loss of .6 inches of size however. (acer = 23.6in diag, alienware = 23.0in diag). I'm going to give the Alienware a shot however. If it doesn't compare to the Acer, I will return it...

As a side note. The color representation on the Acer GD245HQ is much more accurate than the Samsun 2233RZ, I have yet to see the Alienware so I cannot comment. The Acer also represents contrast better, probably due to the color accuracy. I have found that tech specs don't tell you anything... you have to see the monitor in person... Contrast ratio doesn't really have a standard, one company could list 20,000:1 another could list 80,000:1 and when you see it in person, they could both be exactly the same... So, I suppose time will tell, I'll post my experience with the Alienware when it arrives in 5 days.

I may not be considered "reputable" for reviewing. However, I do pay close attention to detail, as well as own a callibration sensor (spyder 2 pro), which will read true lumination, contrast, and color output of the monitor. As well as rate how far off from "true" RGB it is. So, I'll at least post some usefull data when I get it. better than nothing right? :)

What bothers me, especially regarding CES 2010, is all the 3d ready HD LED TV's coming out from... everyone... and the amount of attention it was given at CES. Yet absolutelly no love in the monitor category... If they can make a 1080p 800cmd2, 1mil:1 contrast, 65 inch (1.2mm thick) 3d ready LED TV... where is the monitor version.... You think that would be... I don't know... Easier to make?

I would much prefer the thickness, contrast, and brightness of an LED monitor over these crappy TN LCD's... Where's the love for us geeks, Samsung, Toshiba, Acer, Sony?! Where!? Television traitors.

Guess I'll just have to clear off my desk for a 47 inch "Monitor"...

Last edited:
This is good but I'm more interested in the LED backlit 120hz models. For what I do with my pc I'd rather have a 24" 120hz TN w/ LED than an IPS. I was eying the 2410/2711 but I think this would be better for me cause at this point anything is an upgrade from this old 22" Gateway.

over 600$CAD with taxes damn...guess I'll pass. Such a shame I need a new monitor. :eek:

Has a low profile with bezels which is ideal for 3d surround vision, though its almost $100 more expensive than acer like most mentioned, which for acer is the winner, since alienware is now dell we could expect great results, even if performs great would not be by a significant margin vs acer, I would rather have a TN LED 120hz rather than a IPS as well, this is the year of 3D which I could end in regret spending $500 on something that isn't 3D capable and makes the other displays obsolete by now...

Ordered.

I've been waiting for a long time for a large(r) 120hz LCD.

Edit: Should have mentionned, ordered from dell.ca, shipped to ontario. 645.26 after blah blah stuff.

Last edited:
It looks like Dell dumped the AW2210 stock into the outlet, doubt those are going anywhere fast.

Ordered.

I've been waiting for a long time for a large(r) 120hz LCD.

Edit: Should have mentionned, ordered from dell.ca, shipped to ontario. 645.26 after blah blah stuff.

Nice one :). Let us know when you get it how it performs!

These monitors (are finally) going up and up. The 120Hz advantage should of been seen faster by manufacturers you would think. Its so much better. But well, if it needs a tech like 3D to get going, then so it'll be!

Ordered as well , I have the Samsung 22 inch 120hz monitor but if this one works out better I'll gladly sell it. I cant stand gaming on such a small monitor.

You think 22" and 1680x1050 is small? lol, I used a 19" CRT at 1280x960 @ 100Hz until late 2009 when I picked up this VX2268wm 120Hz but I didn't really feel like I'd be in a urge need of bigger screen really, just that the CRT was somewhat getting in bad condition and finding a trinitron CRT still in great shape was too much of a hazzle so decided I finally would go LCD cuz of the 120Hz displays out now. BLB is much more of an issue for me being used to perfect black even in a completely dark room.

Anyone know if it will do 120hz over HDMI?

Doesn't really matter but could be useful.

I think I've found the answer to my previous question. From the "User Guide":

"NOTE: 3D is only supported when using a DVI dual link cable."

Which when the word "3D" is replaced with 120hz is:

"NOTE: 120hz is only supported when using a DVI dual link cable."

Thus it seems 120hz over DVI only.

From that same linked user guide it looks like it ships with both HDMI and DVI cables.

The only thing that peaks my interest regarding the alienware over the acer is the brightness. I currently have the Samsung 2233rz, 300cmd2 brightness, and a Samsung... uh... 25.5 inch (forget the model number), at 400cmd2 brightness. The colors, and appearance are much more rich with the higher brightness panel... much...

If you're referring to the 2693HM (the monitor I currently use), which has a brightness of 400cd, then it's a little deceptive when it comes to it's appearance. The colors on the monitor are over-saturated, and the white point is a fair bit higher than normal, also adding to the effect. Some people may like this effect, which is probably why Samsung chose to do it.

Yes it is indeed the 2693hm, however, I tend to disagree not with your description of oversaturation and increased white point, but instead on the display itself. My determination of the quality comes after calibration. During calibration I reduce luminosity (white point as you call it) to the standard recommendation given by Spyder2Pro, contrast is also calibrated, along with the saturation and intensity of RGB channels.

This was done on both Samsung monitors, the 2693hm and the 2233rz, bottom line is the color representation after calibration was much closer to actual on the 2693hm. The 2233rz appeared very cloudy, even after calibration. The contrast was poorly represented, and again gave a general cloudy sense. The best way to illustrate the difference to you (again after calibration…) is to take the brightness slider in a game and increase it to 75% (from default 50ish), this just shows what the 2233rz looks like in comparison to the 2693hm…. After calibration… (The 2233rz being the 75% look, and the 2693hm being the 50% look)

The point being, after correcting the manufacture calibration setting flaws on each of the monitors, the clearly victorious monitor in all of the following, color representation, contrast, luminosity, and clarity, is the 2693hm. I was very disappointed in the 2233rz. One of the reasons could be the TFT Active Matrix of the 2693hm. However, the bottom line is my hope is that Alienware does a better job in color accuracy and contrast than the 2233rz does… or doesn’t for that matter.

Side note- Samsung 2233rz, before calibration, blue spectrum is 35% higher than its Green and Red partners, giving the overall look of the Samsung 2233rz before calibration a very blue tint, an undesirable effect for both gaming and graphic design alike.

Also, in regards to the question regarding HDMI. You are correct HDMI is not supported for 120hz, and thus, 3d. The problem does not lie in the monitor however, it is in the HDMI cable, the HDMI standard in general does not support true 120hz refresh at 1080i/p resolution and above. For that matter, neither does DVI, the standard HDMI was built off. This is why a Dual-Link DVI cable is required. Dual Link DVI w/o the 4 RGB pins, being 24 pins, single link DVI being 18 PINs.

Last edited:
Anyone have any impressions yet? I put my 22" 120hz samsung as my secondary monitor for now and I'm gaming on my 47" 1080p LCD. I'm tempted to get this alienware to use my 3d again but I'm not sure if it's $500 better than my samsung.

Was going to wait for some bigger than 40" 3d vision capable tvs/monitors but i don't really see anything coming out so I might go with the 3d vision surround.

The monitor just arrived. I'm currently at the office so I cannot run my full review and testing yet. However, I did set it up just to get an idea.

First off... I have been "wowed", the experience was not the same when first turning on the samsung 2233RZ... Without tampering with it at all, the colors are very natural, no particular color stretch that stands out (testing will be done later however). The brightness is incredible, it provides a much clearer, more defined picture. Best way to describe it in comparison to the other Samsung 2233RZ and Viewsonic is like seeing a piece of scenery on a cloudy/foggy day, and then seeing it again on a perfectly clear and sunny day. The Alienware being the later of course. After playing with the controls a bit, I notice you have a much greater range of play settings wise in comparison to the two predecessors (Samsung and View sonic 120hz monitors). The Samsung in specific was untouchable... What I mean is it had brightness and contrast controls, but if you changed them they just made the image horrible... you had to keep them set at the default setting to see anything near the "best picture possible" with that monitor. The Alienware can have it's brightness increased almost to maximum and keep the picture looking exactly the same (except... a lot bright...), that says something in and of itself.

Input lag is indeed minimal, there is a notable difference from that this monitor to my Dell Pro work monitor (don't know the exact model), but I will test it more completely next to the Samsung 2233RZ when I get home tonight.

Bottom Line for the time being is the image quality is significantly better than what I am used to, without seeing them side by side, my predication is that it is just as sharp, clear, bright, and natural (color) as the Samsung 2693HM I mentioned earlier, but only proper testing and calibration will tell. I will post those when they are complete (I might not get to it until tomorrow).

I have high hopes however. So far, I'm a fan.

As another note, these are the "complete" specs for the monitor, the website leaves details out, like display type, and true contrast ratio, etc. so..... here....

Screen type Active matrix: TFT LCD
Panel type: TN
Screen dimensions: 23-inch (584.2 mm) viewable image size
Horizontal: 509.18 mm (20.04 inches)
Vertical: 286.41 mm (11.27 inches)
Pixel pitch: 0.265 mm
Viewing angle: 160° (vertical) typ., 170° (horizontal) typ.
Luminance output: 400 cd/m² (typ.)
Contrast ratio: 1000 to 1 (typ.)
Dynamic contrast ratio: Up to 80,000 : 1 (max.)
Faceplate coating: Antiglare with hard-coating 3H
Backlight: CCFL system
Response Time: 3 ms gray-to-gray (typ.)
Color depth: 16.7 million colors
Color Gamut: 83.4%*

* AW2310 color gamut (typical) is based on CIE1976 (83.4%) and CIE1931 (72%) test standards.

Resolution Specifications
Horizontal scan range 30 KHz to 75 KHz (automatics), up to 140 KHz on 1920 x 1080 at 120Hz
Vertical scan range 56 Hz to 76 Hz (automatics), up to 120 Hz at 1920 x 1080
Optimal preset resolution 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz
Highest preset resolution 1920 x 1080 at 120 Hz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Video Supported Modes
Video display capabilities (DVI playback) 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p (Support HDCP)
Video display capabilities (HDMI playback) 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/1080p (Support HDCP)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Preset Display Modes
Display Mode Horizontal Frequency (kHz) Vertical Frequency (Hz) Pixel Clock (MHz) Sync Polarity (Horizontal/Vertical)
720 x 400 31.47 70.0 28.3 -/+
640 x 480 31.47 60.0 25.1 -/-
640 x 480 37.5 75.0 31.5 -/-
800 x 600 37.88 60.0 40.0 +/+
800 x 600 46.88 75.0 49.5 +/+
1024 x 768 48.36 60.0 65.0 -/-
1024 x 768 60.02 75.0 78.7 +/+
1152 x 864 67.5 75.0 108.0 +/+
1280 x 1024 64.0 60.0 108.0 +/+
1280 x 1024 80.0 75.0 135.0 +/+
1680 x1050 65.29 60.0 146.25 -/+
1600 x 1200 75.0 60.0 162.0 +/+
1920 x 1080 67.5 60.0 148.5 +/+

Electrical Specifications
Video input signals Digital DVI-D TMDS, 600 mV for each differential line, positive polarity at 50 ohm input impedance.
HDMI TMDS, 600 mV for each differential line, positive polarity at 50 ohm input impedance or 100 Ohm per differential pair.
Audio input/output signals Input: PC analog signal: level 2Vrms in maximum.
HDMI digital signal: level -15dBFS, L/PCM format, sample rate 32~192KHz.
Output: 1.2Vrms without clipping.
AC input voltage/frequency/current 100 to 240 VAC/50 or 60 Hz + 3 Hz/1.5 A (Max.)
Inrush current 120V:40A (Max.)
240V:80A (Max.)

Thanks CaptainTaco

I'm curious on what is the reduced input lag per dvi is about and if you notice a difference compared to the samsung 2233rz and also trying other resolutions: (1280x1024 etc.)

Wow you are lucky.. This is the only thing I got from dell for my order lol:

Dear Dell Customer,
We regret to inform you of a delay in your recent Dell order #xxxxxxxxxx.

If your order has not shipped within 5 business days, we will provide you with an update. No further action is required from you at this time.

We apologize for any inconvenience experienced due to this delay. If you have any questions about this order, please call us at 1-800-847-4096.

@Druneau

haha, sorry. I'm an "Official Reseller" for Dell, maybe they like me more lol. That's funny though, guess they have a significant demand.

Was going to wait for some bigger than 40" 3d vision capable tvs/monitors but i don't really see anything coming out so I might go with the 3d vision surround.

You just became my hero if you can afford that setup... and I'm also envious. Each monitor will run you about $550, times 3 would be $1,650. Then comes the graphics card issue. I currently have 2x Nvidia GTX285's in SLI, for 3D vision is not supported on Tri or Qaud SLI, so that's basically the "fastest" you can get right now, and I will still see some slowdown in some of the more graphicly intense games when all my settings are maxed (farcry 2 ((rarely, but still..)) Crysis, etc.). So you would need an equivillent of 3Xish that power. Which won't exist until the Firmi cards come out. However if you find a way to get 3 monitors running in 3d vision smoothly, please tell me, because I will be all over that lol.

When the 2310 I've ordered arrives on Monday or so I'll run a digital timer input lag test (I still have a Mitsu 21" CRT around) and post results. (A test of my XHD3000 was interesting - low lag in full res, horrible at lower resolutions.)

That would be great DevonK, I have no testing equipment for input lag.

I have completed the color accuracy testing for the aw2310, however I left the results at home... I will post them tonight along with the same tests run on the Samsung 2233RZ just to give you a comparison.

I will say that the aw2310 did fairly well in the testing, it does have a slightly enhanced green channel, which is a bit odd honestly, monitors usually have a spike in blue, or a dip in green, this is honestly the first monitor I've come across with a spike in green... However the monitor did very well with contrast and brightness changes, a quality display when brightness or contrast are changed on the monitor should not alter the color accuracy. This is not the case with many monitors, many will spike in a particular color channel when brightness or contrast is increased/decreased. I can say that the AW2310 had a RGB channel change of less than 1% when brightness/contrast was increased and decreased to it's maximums, 1% is within the margin of error, making it near perfect for that purpose.

I will post photos of the test results tonight, along with my full written review of the monitor.

Last edited:
Back