PC not booting, no video, no USB port working, No sound

flyinpolak

Limp Gawd
Well i went to boot my system after installing an addtional watercooling system to the hard drive *( the gpu and cpu were already watercooled )*

plugged it all in ... turned power on and hit the power on button

waited... screen went black and said no input found..

looked inside the case... everything is on... green light on the motherboard, all fans are on and spinning, watercooler on, hard drive spinning..

No Video, No sound, and oddly enough NO usb slot is responding....

Any ideas what just happened to my pc?

*( i was grounded the entire time during install, didnt touch the motehrboard, only removed the ram to access the 5.5" drove bay to install newly watercooed HDD.

I didnt even remove the old setup or touch it since i need to get a few more parts to make the tubing fit *so the HDD does not have liquid running through the waterblocks just yet *

No matter what USB port you try nothing responds from any of it... my usb lasermouse does not turn on.... the monitor no matter what on digital or anolog settings wont work... neither slot on my XFX 9600gt card are responding and no sound of the pd even booting up at all and entering windows.

please lemme know what you guys think is the prob.

Check to see if your videocard is seated properly. Pull all but one of your ram sticks out and try to boot, try all of your ram individually.

Does the computer beep? Is it two short and one long beep? or is it on consistant beep?

look to see if anything got unplugged, hopefully no coolant leaked while it was running. not sure what setup u got. this not really the section for help so u might get as many replies.

if everything is plugged in, then try
unplug the cd rom power and the extra hd power and see if it boots, your psu might be the culprit, even try with one stick of ram, all of it draws power.

if that dont work im at a loss at the moment. good luck

no beeps... did a sequential boot with first the main stuff hhd cdroms ram and the plugged in the video card... nada... will tr yo remove individual ram..

dont think its the PSU everything turns on as it should... just nothing seems to be working.

oh and whats the proper section... sorry kinda new to the forum

Last edited:
no beeps... did a sequential boot with first the main stuff hhd cdroms ram and the plugged in the video card... nada... will tr yo remove individual ram..

dont think its the PSU everything turns on as it should... just nothing seems to be working.

oh and whats the proper section... sorry kinda new to the forum

Try to get additional help here
http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Thats strange, no beeps? possibly a dead power supply I'd say , if you have an extra one try it to make sure.

What kind of mobo are you running? Does it have one of those small digital POST code devices on it and if so what characters is it showing?

Seems very odd that the system would suddenly and inexplicably become responsive but PCs can be awfully finicky sometimes. Anyway, I wish you luck.

anyway we can get an admin to move the thread it will be greatly appreciated!

Nope no digital display meaning no POST codes... its an ASUS p5n-d...

i know its an asus.

really? think the power supply went bad just like that? its giving off power for the system to turn on but not be fully responsive...

nothing is being diplayed on the screen no sound output no USB is giving off even a little power...

when i hit the power button to turn it on all the fans start cranking HDD turns on and spins, i can take a vid or show pics off my cam phone if needed...

lemme know if theres anyway for me to help you help me haha

i really dont understand how it could just die like it did.

ive seen PSU's go out like that even new ones... i dont have a spare me being a moron i sold off my spares for some petty cash...

i do have a frys about 30 min away and a radioshack practically nextdoor where i can get new ones... but idk... ill see what i can get ahold of...

pops said it might be the PSU as mentioned but i honestly dont beleive so..

dosent act liek a dead psu because half of it is on only issues are no sound no video and no usb/ps2

contacted XFX becasue i thought i had a dead card at first *( before i found out the sound and USB ports were out )* and they think its the mobo as well but told me to do a step by step check including what you guys mentioned and removing the ram to see if any have died and also check the video card in a friends system to see if it still works of if there is an RMA issue in order.

either way we shall see what is to happen or what steps to take tomorrow i still got my mac that im working on but its only a lap top so im limited and restricted from the game that im currently addicted to... CODMW2

...either way im pretty sure my mobo is fried... i ironically already have an XFX board coming in from tigerdirect a 780i.

sooooo... idk as of right now still inoperable... lemme know what you guys think or if you need more info..

as for now.. gnight to all!

Did you remove everything you added already? Then unplug and replug everything else.

Yeah, I had a motherboard arrive dead to me last night- same symptoms. Would power on/spans would go but, no video etc. Your board is probably dead.

Did you remove everything you added already? Then unplug and replug everything else.

nope just did it this morning..

Your shit is fucked. That's the problem.

But for real, your mobo fried.

apparantly not... tis piece of crap asus board still working..

Yeah, I had a motherboard arrive dead to me last night- same symptoms. Would power on/spans would go but, no video etc. Your board is probably dead.

damn that sucks...

that reboot with no ram and then attempting each stick worked... oddly enough... no ram was dead... the board seriously must have been freaking out or somthing... im getting rid of it either way... i have that new 780i XFX board coming in on friday hopefully... as for now its semi operational... will let you know if i have any other problems.. im doing a full system test to see if anythingis not working properly harware side.

How do you know the motherboard is still working? Don't assume the mobo is working just because the system turns-on - all that requires is a momentary crossing of pins. The logic on your motherboard is not taking-over once the PSU is running - that's why you don't hear the POST beeps, and you have nothing on-screen.

How do you know the motherboard is still working? Don't assume the mobo is working just because the system turns-on - all that requires is a momentary crossing of pins. The logic on your motherboard is not taking-over once the PSU is running - that's why you don't hear the POST beeps, and you have nothing on-screen.

because im on it right now typing this message.. haha either way the mobo is getting swapped out as soon as my new 780i mobo comes in.

because im on it right now typing this message.. haha either way the mobo is getting swapped out as soon as my new 780i mobo comes in.

Wait, your system is suddenly working again? Where exactly did you state this?

I got the impression from your first post that the machine would not boot (no beep, no USB, no sound), and AFAIK none of your later posts contradict this.

Help me out here, your posts are really hard to read :)

good u got it working, i did not think the psu was fried , but simply maybe not strong enough for the added power use. your near the max limit for that setup im thinking without looking up the power usage.

i had a old athlon system, well it was brand new at the time, bought a case with a psu in it, and the fans spun and the lights went on, but nobody was home. anyway i convinced my friend to plug in his psu to see and it powered on and booted, so once i bought a new psu it was fine. it was a generic 300 watt for a athlon 500, but behaved about the same way urs did.

although ive had to play games with ram in some puters to get them working, but never after adding a hd

Wait, your system is suddenly working again? Where exactly did you state this?

I got the impression from your first post that the machine would not boot (no beep, no USB, no sound), and AFAIK none of your later posts contradict this.

Help me out here, your posts are really hard to read :)

nope just did it this morning..

damn that sucks...

that reboot with no ram and then attempting each stick worked... oddly enough... no ram was dead... the board seriously must have been freaking out or somthing... im getting rid of it either way... i have that new 780i XFX board coming in on friday hopefully... as for now its semi operational... will let you know if i have any other problems.. im doing a full system test to see if anythingis not working properly harware side.

:D hehe

good u got it working, i did not think the psu was fried , but simply maybe not strong enough for the added power use. your near the max limit for that setup im thinking without looking up the power usage.

i had a old athlon system, well it was brand new at the time, bought a case with a psu in it, and the fans spun and the lights went on, but nobody was home. anyway i convinced my friend to plug in his psu to see and it powered on and booted, so once i bought a new psu it was fine. it was a generic 300 watt for a athlon 500, but behaved about the same way urs did.

although ive had to play games with ram in some puters to get them working, but never after adding a hd

yeah no i know the PSU is reashing its max potential... infact since that day ive added another card so now im running SLI on one factory overclocked BFG video card and on my stock xfx card...

also the PSU was set up for SLI so besides teh one card being factory OC-ed nothing else is overclocked and nothing else really needs power besides a few small case fans, HDD, and two cd roms that usually never are used anyway haha

im looking inot like a 750 OCZ PSU ... especially for the lifetime warranty, but you gotta love the modular PSU's and the cool clean look.

Back