MSI Nvidia GTX 260 216-core OCV2 Video Card Issues

I've got an MSI Nvidia GTX 260 216-core OCV2 GDDR3 896MB video card that has a few issues. I'm not satisfied with my MSI video card, as I am running Windows XP x64, which MSI seems to have neglected proper support.

This video card has had no problems in a Windows Vista x64 or x86 rig, but for some reason, every two weeks my drivers become messed up on XP x64. I have to completely uninstall them and then reinstall them. Then my games are happy again for 2 weeks. I don't believe this is an over-heating issue, as I have several fans and a powerful power supply.

I RMA'D my first MSI Nvidia GTX 260 216-core OCV4 video card, and this is the replacement they sent me. I don't believe they found anything wrong with my last card either, as it experienced the exact same symptoms. Anyway, I have an EVGA GTX 260 192-core video card, and it doesn't have any of these issues in my XP x64 rig. I swear it's just MSI. There is nothing wrong with my MSI GTX 260. No artifacting, just some kind of weird bug in XP x64. I'm not sure what to do to fix it. Can't think of anything to do. Maybe you could help, but I've really tried everything, and I'm not happy with it.

This issue was both present when I ran the GTX 260 by itself in Windows XP x64 and when I had it SLI'd to my EVGA GTX 260 192-core card. The EVGA GTX 260 192 has no problems by itself in Windows XP x64 with any driver release. Such a weird problem, and even an RMA didn't fix the problem. Thus, I'm assuming it's an MSI issue, and you know how awful their customer service truly is.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Are you using the drivers from MSI's Website or nvidias?

Last edited:
I'm still baffled. I've never seen a problem like this with a video card. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tested your memory? have you tried to overheat the card with furmark, XP64bit isn't really made for gaming and was kind of a bandaid for a bullet wound in the first place.

Try windows7 or if you don't have the problem in vista 64 why not stick with that?

I'd really like to get it working in XP x64. Vista was always too slow to load games... Like I'd have 30 seconds of freeze before the game would pop up... that was in SP1 though. It's been a while since I wanted to use Vista. I haven't had any problems with XP x64 SP2 except for this one with my video card.

I've got a Core i7 rig with 9GB of ram that passes memtest all the time. I haven't tried to overheat my card. Should I do this?

Any other ideas?

That's not helpful. I don't want to use Vista. Any ideas how I can get it to work on XP x64? Sigh.

use windows 7 :p

other then that im thinking that every 2 weeks maybe windows update installs some shitty drivers for you?

Dunno, sounds like your driver is being over written by something installed and its causing this.

+1 for Windows 7

XP x64 was a disaster for me when I tried running it. Definitely did not seem like a gaming OS and I had issues getting stable working drivers for a few parts.

Edit: Got any background scheduled tasks that could mess with anything?

Last edited:
I agree with the rest of the posters here, go with vista or win 7. On that rig, you shouldn't have ANY issues with gaming on either OS. Hell... upgrade to an SSD and you'll see load times go away for the most part :)

XP64 wasn't a great OS by any means... hell, if I remember correctly, they (MS) were giving it away for free for quite a while. Driver support was sketchy at best and recall it being fairly unstable.

64bit didn't really catch on (from 3rd parties especially) until vista hit the scene :)

Back